Oasis: This is their thread

useless

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

and Coldplay, Foo Fighters etc are still doing massive stadiums. 

I'll no doubt miss someone here ...

Catfish and the bottlemen are the only new stadium band in the last 10 years aren't they? And they haven't done it yet, it's next year

Sam Fender can do Newcastle but not a proper tour

Seems like a lot of bands get close but can't make that final step

personally because I'm classist I lean towards guitar music going middle class 

11 minutes ago, Genie said:

and Coldplay, Foo Fighters etc are still doing massive stadiums. 

They are older bands just continuing though.    There isn't  a shed load of new bands doing big business.  Charts are dominated by hippity hop, DJ's, Dancy shite, Boy and Girl bands and identikit singer songwriters.  Not much pure guitar based bands about really selling big.

There are a few around but they're very much the exeption.  I'm sure it's why Glastonbury is getting more poppy.  Without putting on older established bands in rotation there isn't much else to choose from without going down a different route.  Oasis headlining (as rumoured) would be exactly that let's face it.

7 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Where have all the Riff masters gone 

Plenty out there

Check out Thee Oh Sees / Oh Sees / OCS and however many other variants. Then there's Frankie and the Witch FIngers and Ty Segall (and all his variants - check out Fuzz if you want riffage)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

At least it looks like Bonehead is confirmed.  Bonehead on rhythm and a bit of coke and hopefully Noel will bring back his solos from the Be Here Now era

I love one from the same tour, very unlike most Oasis stuff.

Trivia: The studio recording of this song features Johnny Depp on guitar.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

They are older bands just continuing though.    There isn't  a shed load of new bands doing big business.  Charts are dominated by hippity hop, DJ's, Dancy shite, Boy and Girl bands and identikit singer songwriters.  Not much pure guitar based bands about really selling big.

There are a few around but they're very much the exeption.  I'm sure it's why Glastonbury is getting more poppy.  Without putting on older established bands in rotation there isn't much else to choose from without going down a different route.  Oasis headlining (as rumoured) would be exactly that let's face it.

There are absolutely loads, you just don't know them because a combination of you not having the time to make the effort of discovering them and the music Biz in general concentrating on shite disposable (and cheap) dance music.

The idea that there isn't a lot of these bands is silly, you just don't know them.

A new band will make a breakthrough despite this at some point and the music biz will them want a slice of that pie again.

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

Plenty out there

Check out Thee Oh Sees / Oh Sees / OCS and however many other variants. Then there's Frankie and the Witch FIngers and Ty Segall (and all his variants - check out Fuzz if you want riffage)

The first band in that list rings a bell 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

The death of guitar-based pop has been predicted several times. It always comes back. 

It isn't dead, it just isn't the most popular medium. It will become a niche like Jazz.  It had a good run as the dominant popular music form but things change.

8 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yeah, sorry if I wasn’t clear. I was suggesting bands like Coldplay and Foo Fighters (and now Oasis) are able to still do these mega tours after so many years is because there’s still demand for that type of music and nothing has filled the void for 20 years.

9 minutes ago, bickster said:

There are absolutely loads, you just don't know them because a combination of you not having the time to make the effort of discovering them and the music Biz in general concentrating on shite disposable (and cheap) dance music.

The idea that there isn't a lot of these bands is silly, you just don't know them.

A new band will make a breakthrough despite this at some point and the music biz will them want a slice of that pie again.

To be fair he said "there isn't a shed load of new bands doing big business".  I take that as to mean being prominent in the mainstream and selling out arenas/stadiums.

3 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

It isn't dead, it just isn't the most popular medium. It will become a niche like Jazz.  It had a good run as the dominant popular music form but things change.

This isn't particularly true either. Go look at the vinyl album charts and guitar based music sits in there quite comfortably with the pop of Taylor Swift / Post Malone / BeebaDoobee and all the Pop. A lot of it is reissue / repress stuff but The Stranglers new collection is straight in at 3 whereas Oasis only resurfaced at 30 something. Hamish Hawk is straight in at 4. Smashing Pumpkins new collection straight in at 8

The idea that guitar based music is dead or even niche is just not remotely true

4 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

To be fair he said "there isn't a shed load of new bands doing big business".  I take that as to mean being prominent in the mainstream and selling out arenas/stadiums.

And that as always is a nonsensical argument. Define big business? It always used to be a band that was selling out 2K capacity halls were doing the business and there are many many current guitar based bands that are doing that.

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Define big business? 

6 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

being prominent in the mainstream and selling out arenas/stadiums.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, bickster said:

It's not silly at all.

If they were a big band doing lots of business and dominating the charts and playing Wembley of course I would know of them.  Re-read my post.

I'm not saying there aren't ANY bands, I'm saying there aren't any (or many) new bands.

I was surprised than Catfish and the Bottlemen are playing Tottenham Stadium though.  I didn't think they were that big.

I thought Wet leg might step in but they seem to be taking their time over a new album and who knows how that's received.  Maybe The Last Dinner Party though they're not really a swashbuckling Rock and Roll band.

Edited by sidcow

I think Fontaines DC announced some big park gig for next year. No clue of they are a guitar band or not. That all said I need to take Oasis name out of my god damn mouth. Its like visiting a wrestling thread. Visiting purely to mock its fans. On that note adieu and hope you all snag the tickets you want. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Genie said:

Yeah, sorry if I wasn’t clear. I was suggesting bands like Coldplay and Foo Fighters (and now Oasis) are able to still do these mega tours after so many years is because there’s still demand for that type of music and nothing has filled the void for 20 years.

Yes I got your point and agree.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Seat68 said:

I think Fontaines DC announced some big park gig for next year. No clue of they are a guitar band or not. That all said I need to take Oasis name out of my god damn mouth. Its like visiting a wrestling thread. Visiting purely to mock its fans. On that note adieu and hope you all snag the tickets you want. 

Fontaines DC and Idles are as close as it gets these days and I think both could move into the upper stratosphere.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

Define big business? It always used to be a band that was selling out 2K capacity halls were doing the business and there are many many current guitar based bands that are doing that.

Not sure why you have got your knickers in such a twist over this.  People are talking about a new band like Oasis, Like Coldplay, The Killers, someone who could sell out a couple of nights a Wembley.  You can pontificate as much as you like but there aren't really any contenders.

59 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I'll no doubt miss someone here ...

Catfish and the bottlemen are the only new stadium band in the last 10 years aren't they? And they haven't done it yet, it's next year

Sam Fender can do Newcastle but not a proper tour

Seems like a lot of bands get close but can't make that final step

personally because I'm classist I lean towards guitar music going middle class 

wasn't too impressed with them at reading. decent, and i'd like to see them in a medium sized arena, but didn't see a sold-out stadium band in front of me. i dare say they won't sell out the spurs stadium...maybe the welshies will pack out the millennium stadium for them, but that struggles to sell out for rugby half the time these days

The 'singles' chart (downloads, streams, etc.) no longer has the same significance that it once had. Different market sector. Album sales and concert tours are where the guitar bands are at. 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â