Oasis: This is their thread

useless

A pair of words removed with mostly bang average to shite songs, elevated by a few early actual bangers. Who also suffer from having some truly obnoxious cult fans.

Happy Monday guys :D 

Obviously each to their own and hope anyone going enjoys it. But they really are massive dickheads 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, bickster said:

The Real People and a reformed Shack to support

To be titled Bands of (unruly) Brothers

What the hell, let's get The Kinks on the bill, too. FratricideFest '25. 

• Haha 1

I'll get you some tickets Bicks. You must be a fan considering how you keep commenting on them ;)  The excitement is building.

Edited by Xela

I get the dislike of them as people and they're never going to be held up as musical prodigies but they are THE anthem band of the 90's. I wont be joining the clamour for tickets but I always think you have to hand it to bands who even people who aren't fans of know a lot of the words to their songs. To not recognise this sort of reach as impressive is where the musical snobbery kicks in imho.

I absolutely loved definitely maybe at the time and also owned what's the story. Slide away still gets a nod of approval.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VILLAMARV said:

To not recognise this sort of reach as impressive is where the musical snobbery kicks in imho.

Oh good, you just lumped Oasis in with the Vengaboys :D 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

I get the dislike of them as people and they're never going to be held up as musical prodigies but they are THE anthem band of the 90's. I wont be joining the clamour for tickets but I always think you have to hand it to bands who even people who aren't fans of know a lot of the words to their songs. To not recognise this sort of reach as impressive is where the musical snobbery kicks in imho.

Seems like an odd thing to judge them on.

To pick another act whose peak was the same era, I'd wager a far greater number of people could sing along to a Spice Girls medley than could an Oasis medley. 

• Confused 1

I’m surprised they’re gonna do Glastonbury as it’s clearly a cash grab and Glasto doesn’t pay that well. It’s not really their crowd either.

1 minute ago, ml1dch said:

To pick another act whose peak was the same era, I'd wager a far greater number of people could sing along to a Spice Girls medley than could an Oasis medley. 

We're veering very close to the 'define famous' argument again (Waldemar Januszczak vs. that woman whose name I've already forgotten). Demographics, innit? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

I'd say the same thing applies myself, love them or hate them, people of all ages/colours/creeds etc still know them. In the same way that even Bicks could probably sing along (ok mutter under his breath-edly) with The Beatles. There's something of worth in that imo is all I'm saying. (And not that he would choose to)

Many memories from my pub days of new years eve/wedding discos and the like where the whole room just starts singing along with Oasis, whereas stick the charlatans or similar on and there'll be lots of quizzical faces who don't know what they're listening to.

I always think that's the definition of an Anthem band for me. See also Queen

The thing I enjoy about the stick they receive, is that it's typically what they say about themselves :lol:

Even they regularly say they don't know why they became what they became, they just enjoyed the ride as much as the fans did.

And they were arrogant.  They came from sitting in bedrooms smoking weed in shitholes in Manchester, to being globally famous at the age of 19 in Liam's case, he didn't know how to behave.  

Doesn't excuse it, but it's a reason.  A lot like a lot of good young footballers these days..

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

The thing I enjoy about the stick they receive, is that it's typically what they say about themselves :lol:

Even they regularly say they don't know why they became what they became, they just enjoyed the ride as much as the fans did.

And they were arrogant.  They came from sitting in bedrooms smoking weed in shitholes in Manchester, to being globally famous at the age of 19 in Liam's case, he didn't know how to behave.  

Doesn't excuse it, but it's a reason.  A lot like a lot of good young footballers these days..

and Noel has also said the Oasis fans are yobs and part of the reason he walked away from the band and took his music in another direction.

But when there’s a divorce to pay for…

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â