João Félix

Delphinho123

13 minutes ago, allani said:

He turned down initial interest from us last season to go to Barcelona.  I mean its not like he turned us down to go to some bit-part club whose only attraction was a large wedge of dosh.  I'd hardly say that turning us down to go to one of the 5 biggest clubs in the world is negative or any kind of indication as to whether he would be a good fit here or not.

Since then our "offer" has improved considerably in that we now offer CL football, we were one of the most talked about clubs in the PL and we've shown that we can "walk the walk" with our performances and signings since last summer.  Our interest has also moved on a lot further from an initial speculative "might you be interested?".

So everything has changed.  Of course he might still think that there are better options circling.  However, it seems like the main issue at the moment is between us and Athletes & Co (Madrid branch) in terms of agreeing a deal - rather than Felix stalling over a deal.  I've not seen anything to suggest that he isn't keen - but also not much to say that he is keen.  In some ways I quite like that (see how much stick Duran is getting for saying he wants to make a deal).

Firstly, I want us to sign him but have some reservations given how his career has panned out and the likely cost. 

Secondly, having played at Chelsea and seen us displace them from the top 7 in 22-23 he will have known we were on an upwards trajectory with a world class manager. But didn't take that opportunity.

Hence, the only negative I have is that he was reluctant to get on board with us last time.

Edited by Captain_Townsend

15 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

His original contract at Atletico was reportedly €105m in wages over the 7 years, plus presumably bonuses and signing fees etc.

His deal was renewed in 2023 which reportedly reduced his weekly salary, but the payments would have been restructured rather than wiped off - there would have literally been tens of millions of euros still outstanding from the original contract, it’s not going to be wiped away voluntarily for nothing, even less so when you have the best agent in the world working for you. 

There is a reason Fabrizio’s exact words were “extremely difficult on financial point of view for total package”. I expect there are a lot of elements to this and none of them are cheap.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, david-avfc said:

His original contract at Atletico was reportedly €105m in wages over the 7 years, plus presumably bonuses and signing fees etc.

His deal was renewed in 2023 which reportedly reduced his weekly salary, but the payments would have been restructured rather than wiped off - there would have literally been tens of millions of euros still outstanding from the original contract, it’s not going to be wiped away voluntarily for nothing, even less so when you have the best agent in the world working for you. 

There is a reason Fabrizio’s exact words were “extremely difficult on financial point of view for total package”. I expect there are a lot of elements to this and none of them are cheap.

Hence why it’s taking time - no amount of wishful thinking from some is going to resolve that. It’s a complicated deal and it’s not guaranteed to happen. It might. But people need to also temper their understandable excitement at this time.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, oishiiniku_uk said:

He got 4 goals in 16 games for the awful Chelsea team managed by Potter and then Lampard (who lost most of his games). I don't think you can draw many conclusions from a loan like that. 

His Chelsea run was under a manager out of his depth and a competition winner but looks like he was a bit more direct as was shooting more at Chelsea. Think he was used more as a main striker at times for them

Athletico understandably want the best deal they can.

But at the moment there is only one buyer in town. They are hoping someone else comes in for him whilst Monchi will light a cigar, pour himself a drop of whatever he is partial to and just watch that clock tick down to the end of the window.

Bottom line, they have to get rid of him by the end of the window and they aren’t being particularly clever by making him train alone as that only strengthens the buyers hand. 

• Like 1

Just now, DakotaVilla said:

Athletico understandably want the best deal they can.

But at the moment there is only one buyer in town. They are hoping someone else comes in for him whilst Monchi will light a cigar, pour himself a drop of whatever he is partial to and just watch that clock tick down to the end of the window.

Bottom line, they have to get rid of him by the end of the window and they aren’t being particularly clever by making him train alone as that only strengthens the buyers hand. 

Who do?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

53 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

If we take our "Villa fans" hat off for a minute and look honestly at Villa from an outsider's prospective, this is the first time AVFC has become a potential and may be even desirable destination for a player whose quality hovers around 'tier one' status.

There is a lot to consider for Joao Felix because I'm sure he has always seen his future as a key player for a top club probably located in a glamorous city. For whatever reason that no longer seems to be likely, so his thought process at the moment will demonstrate whether he is prepared to make a purely football driven decision, or is still trying to hang onto the hope of big names and lifestyle. 

A fully committed Felix would be an exciting addition to NSWE'S, Unai's and Monchi's 'project', so I'll watch patiently with interest.

In fairness, for all the talk.

I actually don't think we would be pursuing him at all if we didn't think we could get him.

With all the talk of " tapping up " etc it would be naive of us to think camps and staff don't have conversations with agents, reps and even players themselves behind closed doors about deals and a player's willingness to come.

For all we know, Felix may be fine to come here but the complexities of finances are what are difficult.

Don't think it's quite the scenario where DeJong repeatedly said he didn't want to go to United and they kept chasing him 😂

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

£50 Million is the price Atletico want according to Birmingham live. To me that sounds OK for a player of his ability when we want £40 million for Duran..Wages obviously couid be an issue. But I think this could be sorted.

While we are Champions League we can position ourselves as a Dortmund type club.

High level young players can come to us improve and then possibly move on to Madrid,Barca or Munich.

I think Felix could use us in that way.

Edited by MarkLillis
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Well and even that debut, to be fair, he looked absolutely class before he was sent off. And it would be good for us that he had that little run at getting used to the pace of the PL (which is what caught him out that first game)

Was saying this to someone the other day. He started off like a house on fire in that game (hit the woodwork I think) and I remember saying to myself, he's going to cause Villa trouble.. then we got sent off and was banned for our game. 

Personally, I'd be inclined to disregard his Chelski spell for the most part, and think he would do very well if we were to sign him

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Can't believe we're nearly hitting 100 pages for this guy! 

Can’t believe we are actually here and in with a chance of signing a player like this… wow.

Huge step, don’t think we’ve really been here before.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

While we are Champions League we can position ourselves as a Dortmund type club.

High level young players can come to us improve and then possibly move on to Madrid,Barca or Munich.

I think Felix could use us in that way.

Problem is that Dortmund get CL every year. This is our first time, has been many clubs get once or twice and disappear

While we know the owners ambition players from abroad will be wary

16 minutes ago, PaulC said:

£50 Million is the price Atletico want according to Birmingham live. To me that sounds OK for a player of his ability when we want £40 million for Duran..Wages obviously couid be an issue. But I think this could be sorted.

I think the structure of the deal is more of an issue or debate… how much is paid up front, what the instalments are, the clause and conditions and so on… whether there’s an initial loan or not and option/obligation to buy. Loads to go over.

Monchi has it covered 💪

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â