João Félix

Delphinho123

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Think we’ve probably offered them two deals. One is a loan with a nice fee and an option to buy at the end for say, €50m. The other is probably €40m now. Or something like that anyway.

Loan protects us more as we can really see if he is a €50m player and fits into what we’re trying to do but we may also be willing to purchase but to mitigate the risk, offer a low sum of money. 

Dunno. All conjecture. He’s clearly open to joining though and the obstacle at this point looks to be with the club rather than the player. All the noise would have gone away by now if it was the player rejecting the move.

Up the Felix.

Yeah I agree. He’s definitely open to the idea as is the club and can’t see it not going ahead. One party will have to give in a little and find a happy median. 

4 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Tbf though loads on here wanted us to make Coutinho permanent. When we did, I got laughed out of here for saying I think it was a mistake.

Yeah that was based on a half-season where he played pretty well scoring five in 19 PL matches, making assists and looking decent.

Based on that form yeah it looked potentially an exciting permanent signing....but then the injuries.

The Felix situation is completely different. Unai wants to sign him, obviously Villa must have the encouragement to persist otherwise it would be futile. I believe there's hunger still in the player to succeed.

If we sign him we line up probably like below:

Bailey Onana McGinn Rogers

Felix

Watkins

Though if it were me I’d play Tielemans over McGinn but as he’s captain I don’t see it happening. That’s a strong lineup which should score plenty of goals you’d think.

Bench/rotation options would be Tielemans, Buendia, Ramsey, Philogene, Barkley, Barrenechea. Pretty decent options, although I’d still be keen on someone like Gimenez or Beier replacing Duran and Archer. If it doesn’t happen it’s not the end of the world though.

I just want this to happen quickly so we can get in a central defender/right back before the first game of the season as I think that will be the only position left to strengthen after Felix. 

4 hours ago, CroVillan said:

Don’t think there’s any chance he stays at AM bro. They’re bluffing I think. They need finances to fund these signings and secondly the two parties are at the end of their tenure together. They’ll end up breaking and we’ll get our way. 

Somewhere on a West Ham forum there’s CroHammer saying the same about us and Duran.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Raised expectations and demands… brings about all sorts of shifts in viewpoint. I just hope we don’t end up becoming an entitled, arrogant bunch like so many of our opposing fantasies.

I think we have a long way to go to get there.Most of us are still genuinely Villa and not following us because we win things.

However winning breeds this type of fan and we will end up like them we start winning stuff.

5 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

If they need money then a loan is not going to work for them. Especially a loan arrangement where we can pull out of the deal if he is a flop. 

Might be better than having him there not playing and paying his full wage for the season.  At least sending him on loan kicks the problem down the road, opens up wage space and gets a player they don’t want out of the building.  If that’s the only offer on the table they might not have a choice.

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Might be better than having him there not playing and paying his full wage for the season.  At least sending him on loan kicks the problem down the road, opens up wage space and gets a player they don’t want out of the building.  If that’s the only offer on the table they might not have a choice.

We will see

• Like 1

I genuinely feel very torn on this deal - of course there is the positive thinking of the player that he could be under Unai Emery, but then there is also the big financial noose that we are potentially putting around our neck. You wonder whether the compromise is a loan with a decent loan fee (say £15m?) and an obligation to buy provided that certain criteria is met (appearances, goals, CL qualification etc) in a deal adding up to £50m total?

• Like 2

I’m also torn on the deal for all reasons given above, i.e. could be best technician we’ve seen at Villa Park, but also an expensive squad player if it doesn’t work out. But also could affect the progress and value of both Ramsey and Rogers who I was getting really excited being our no10.

Edited by terrythevillan
  • Like 1

Just now, terrythevillan said:

I’m also torn on the deal for all reasons given above, i.e could be best technician we’ve seen at Villa Park, but also an expensive squad player if it doesn’t work out. But also could affect the progress and value of both Ramsey and Rogers who I was getting really excited being our no10.

I don’t really see it like that. Let’s say Felix does come in. We’re going to be playing 55 games next year. Even if Felix is the starting no.10, he isn’t going to start 55 games, most likely 40 at the absolute max. And even in the games he does start, Rogers will still play either off the left or come on as the 10 from the bench. And that’s without considering the fact that Rogers will probably get game time as a striker this season too. Plenty of minutes for him.

Successful clubs have options off the bench. We might be in a position next year where we’re bringing Tielemans, Rogers and Philogene on after 60 minutes in a game. When have we ever seen depth like that. It’s ridiculous but we’re building a squad that can win trophies. 

3 minutes ago, terrythevillan said:

I’m also torn on the deal for all reasons given above, i.e. could be best technician we’ve seen at Villa Park, but also an expensive squad player if it doesn’t work out. But also could affect the progress and value of both Ramsey and Rogers who I was getting really excited being our no10.

Rogers is going to be a striker I reckon to support Ollie (saves us going to market once Durán goes). Both started out as wingers, I believe? JJ will be our LM. The only person whose position is at real threat, is probably Buendia. 

4 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

All the noise would have gone away by now if it was the player rejecting the move.

This is a good point. Last time we wanted him there were stories in the press that he wanted to go to a champions league club. Same with Gallagher this time, there were stories that he wasn't that interested in coming to us. 

17 minutes ago, terrythevillan said:

It could also affect their progress and value very positively, as they compete with and learn from someone of his level. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

I don’t really see it like that. Let’s say Felix does come in. We’re going to be playing 55 games next year. Even if Felix is the starting no.10, he isn’t going to start 55 games, most likely 40 at the absolute max. And even in the games he does start, Rogers will still play either off the left or come on as the 10 from the bench. And that’s without considering the fact that Rogers will probably get game time as a striker this season too. Plenty of minutes for him.

Successful clubs have options off the bench. We might be in a position next year where we’re bringing Tielemans, Rogers and Philogene on after 60 minutes in a game. When have we ever seen depth like that. It’s ridiculous but we’re building a squad that can win trophies. 

I can't  argue with the depth - it's  part of a transformation into a properly top level club. Man City and Liverpool always seem to have incredible options off the bench and seem to be able to manage workload to peak at the right time. Contrast this with us hanging on by our fingernails last season. 

I'm  not 100% on Felix, but am warming to it.

If he does come, the big question for me is how it impacts on Ramsey and Rogers. Those two, plus Buendia  and Watkins to an extent, also love that inside left channel that Felix seems to thrive in. 

You would see one of Rogers or Ramsey starting with Felix, but would they get in each other's way, or would this be part of a masterplan to properly overload that channel (kw) and work the ball in tight spaces (kw) that gives the opposition defence a problem of balance. 

We've  seen it a bit before with Buendia, Ramsey and Moreno. Chuck the possibility to switch quickly to the other side with Bailey in space...

If we can do it financially then great, and not everyone will remain fit, so hopefully the depth is a game changer. Can see us moulding the team based on the games quite a lot, like McGinn ahead of Bailey in some games, but Bailey in others and potentially captain McGinn rotated some games given our options on the left and CM. 

I don’t quite see Rogers as Ollie’s back up, physically yes but I like him involved, driving from deeper with the ball breaking lines that way, think we lose a bit from him if he’s more focused on hanging on the shoulder of the last man to run in behind.

5 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Think we’ve probably offered them two deals. One is a loan with a nice fee and an option to buy at the end for say, €50m. The other is probably €40m now. Or something like that anyway.

Loan protects us more as we can really see if he is a €50m player and fits into what we’re trying to do but we may also be willing to purchase but to mitigate the risk, offer a low sum of money. 

Dunno. All conjecture. He’s clearly open to joining though and the obstacle at this point looks to be with the club rather than the player. All the noise would have gone away by now if it was the player rejecting the move.

Up the Felix.

Yeah it'll be something like that. I think we'll end up with something like Zaniolo where obligation is triggered on conditions maybe. I can understand why they don't want a loan as the last two Loans never became a sale. That was their own error dealing with Barcelona though. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â