João Félix

Delphinho123

Genuine questions - have we had many players come here and do well after being pushed out of a top club?

I reckon there's a big difference in attitude between a player that's trying to reach the top of the game, and a player who has already reached the top and not quite cut it. Must be hard to have the same fire after all that.

Ashley Young had the right mentality to drop down the levels as he got older and keep giving it everything. Seems like Ross Barkley might now have a similar mindset. Maybe I'm forgetting some big examples, but it just seems to me that signing an expensive player on high wages when they might have already peaked could be a mistake we'd end up regretting. Not just Coutinho, but o.g. Ross Barkley or Danny Drinkwater spring to mind. Or Stephen Ireland. Or Micah Richards. Or Joleon Lescott. And so on.

Most of our best players were signed from top teams that wanted to keep them but couldn't offer them as much first-team football as they wanted (Martinez), or were taking a step up to come to us from smaller and less successful clubs (Onana etc).

9 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Different player types and Whilst I don’t particularly rate him , would Toney at £40m be a better signing for us in terms of 20 + goals a season  than  the eye watering wages and fee for Felix ? 

Or is the ceiling for Felix really that high that we go all in on him ?

nothing against Toney, the player. I just don't see how we can play 2 out and out strikers who'll expect to be starting almost every single match. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Yeah but how would this work with Ollie?

Toney isn't coming here to be rotation or backup to Ollie either.

It wouldn’t. Toney is the wrong player for us. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Genuine questions - have we had many players come here and do well after being pushed out of a top club?

Paul McGrath your classic one. Emi Martinez more recent and now arguably the best in the world in his position (edit: though I see you have him not counting further down your post). Laursen obviously took a step down (to a neutral!) as well, but I guess it depends how you define ‘pushed out’

Edited by Adam2003
  • Like 1

Just now, VILLAMARV said:

Considering Toney did the zulu sign in front of the Holte that time I'm surprised he even gets a mention.

Tbf if you’re under 40 you probably don’t even know what that sentence means. Under 20 and you might never have heard of Birmingham City ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Yeah but how would this work with Ollie?

Toney isn't coming here to be rotation or backup to Ollie either.

I think we have to be realistic ollie iant going to play 50-60 games this year esp aftee playing in euros. There will have to be rotation 

25 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

I reckon there's a big difference in attitude between a player that's trying to reach the top of the game, and a player who has already reached the top and not quite cut it. Must be hard to have the same fire after all that.

Ashley Young had the right mentality to drop down the levels as he got older and keep giving it everything. Seems like Ross Barkley might now have a similar mindset. Maybe I'm forgetting some big examples, but it just seems to me that signing an expensive player on high wages when they might have already peaked could be a mistake we'd end up regretting. Not just Coutinho, but o.g. Ross Barkley or Danny Drinkwater spring to mind. Or Stephen Ireland. Or Micah Richards. Or Joleon Lescott. And so on.

Most of our best players were signed from top teams that wanted to keep them but couldn't offer them as much first-team football as they wanted (Martinez), or were taking a step up to come to us from smaller and less successful clubs (Onana etc).

The greatest player I ever saw play for us, but I think he was an exception.

Edited by Deano & Dalian's Umbrella

16 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Paul McGrath your classic one. Emi Martinez more recent and now arguably the best in the world in his position (edit: though I see you have him not counting further down your post). Laursen obviously took a step down (to a neutral!) as well, but I guess it depends how you define ‘pushed out’

Yeah, I’m not old enough to have really seen McGrath play so I can’t really comment on him.

Martinez wouldn’t have come here had Arsenal given him enough game time, and the same was true of Laursen at AC Milan wasn’t it?

I guess you’re right that it depends on how you look at it. Martinez certainly wasn’t pushed out, but if the definition is just “the big team wants to sell” then you might be able to argue that Chelsea pushed out Maatsen, which I don’t really think makes sense.

Still, I’m a bit skeptical of how a player would handle the transition from being a regular in the Barcelona first team to Villa. I imagine most players would perceive that as a step down.

24 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Under 20 and you might never have heard of Birmingham City ;)

I assume they play in the same league as Solihull Moors?

28 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Dean Saunders (from Liverpool), Steve Staunton (twice from Liverpool), Paul Merson (from Arsenal albeit via Middlesborough) are others in the mix.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Toney is not the option

Oddly enough Duran is the perfect back up. But he suffers from being Jhon Duran

Toney will give us guranteed goals though. It would be hard to persuade him to come as a 'number 2' but all it takes is one injury and toneys main striker

58 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Heavily caveated by assuming the rumours are true, but if Emery likes Felix as much as his interviews/rumours suggest, I believe he thinks he can turn him into the player he should've been

And that's enough for me

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Toney will give us guranteed goals though. It would be hard to persuade him to come as a 'number 2' but all it takes is one injury and toneys main striker

He’d never come to be number 2 or even to work along side ollie.

both Toney and Ollie are main characters. They will not be submissive to the other. 

it be Ollie and Ings all over again 

• Like 1

Not taking any reports overly seriously right now. Its the haggling phase and a lot of noise will come out especially from the ever so trustworthy Spanish media.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Panto_Villan said:

Can only think of Dean Saunders.

2 hours ago, Panto_Villan said:

Martin Laursen
Luc Nilis

Edited by Pongo Waring

5 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Does anyone think that if there was no FFP that our owners would pay the fee and wages?

If there was no FFP we’d have a less chance to compete. The restrictions although it could set us back but in general it restricts all big teams from trying to buy everyone. However a small amount of loss (as we’ve suggested) could be good. But in general I guess it’s not the worse thing that can happen. 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â