João Félix

Delphinho123

Can see Emery hovering like a vulture for a loan deal if Felix is still available last few days of window.

1 hour ago, JPAngel said:

I never truly got excited about this one either, as much as I love a big name signing. The times in the past when we've signed players with reputations bigger than our club's have been a bit hit and miss.

People hate the Coutinho comparison but his transfer is part of the reason I was iffy on Felix - even if the circumstances (age, potential, wages etc.) are different. It always feels as though there's so much more risk when paying big bucks for a player and we've been burned before in these situations: Danny Ings, Darren Bent, Coutinho, Ross McCormack (who, at the time, was a big signing for us).

It's the reason why Man Utd's transfer "strategy" over the past few years is baffling to me. Signing players with huge reputations for massive fees has very rarely benefited them over the past decade (Pogba, Antony, Sancho, Lukaku, Di Maria, Casemiro, Mount, Martial etc.)

I think I’m one of the most people that hate everything related to big or fancy names, so during the years I mostly get excited with unknown players. Or those who have unlocked potential. Coutinho and Digne I wasn’t impressed at all and had my worries about the future (with the transition of trying to get ready players…etc). However Digne was a success atleast. 
Darren Bent was a success, he helped us staying up, and only been a victim of Benteke success, no one would’ve expected that the player who costed 4m would be the best Villa striker in the PL era (well that was before Watkins). So can’t really say it was a bad signing, just panic buy in terms of how much but strikers cost these amounts. Then we go to Ings, he was a very good player, our previous people in charge thought they were smart enough to get Grealish in 3 players, which never done this easy, not many teams play with two strikers, it’s a system game. So getting him really doesn’t make since unless we had a tactical plan. It wasn’t really. I think those two summers we were let down by DS and Gerrard (added to people in charge). We’ve been trying to outcome Jack leaving issue, while that level was above both managers. Some managers are ok when they have certain budget, but they fail more when the budget is higher. Ofcourse there is a big difference between Smith and Gerrard but still the point is valid there.

Regarding McCormack, he wasn’t out an out striker, so him being played there wasn’t a right call anyway. Then his personality damaged everything. That’s why most people underestimate the fact of players positions or attributes. You could so prople wanting some wingers and trying to implement them behind striker. Some second striker to play upfront…etc

Thats where most signings fail. Haverts and Werner are victims of that for example. Many players will fail with us because of our system, yet they can shine in other ones. We are playing a tough offside trap, people can easily see that Cash is weak link there (he could do much better in another system). The system works with different things, I think Martinez is the most keeper to go out of his goal. Because of the system. Not doing that (or not doing it well) damage the whole thing and damage the confidence between each other. 

I’m not sure why exactly I went to all of that, but regarding Felix, he’s what we’re missing, and our tactics is his only way to shine. That’s the main thing which makes me wanting him to come since Unai implemented his system here. 

8 minutes ago, striker said:

Can see Emery hovering like a vulture for a loan deal if Felix is still available last few days of window.

Yeah I suspect the plan has always been to feed on the desperation should he still be there into the last week/few days.

2 hours ago, striker said:

Now, I would be happy with a Loan.....but for me, too many ifs, buts and maybe's surround him.

I just get a feeling, he would be a player, we would be waiting match to match, for that spark of brilliance, which he undoubtedly has.

My problem, with this type of talent is, we need the talent to be on show, every match......We are heading for a level, where consistency of performance is paramount.

Long gone are the days of " it would be nice if"......Now " it's essential to do it".....

Champions league, changes everything, our profile now demands consistency, urgency, intensity and guile.....The demands are high, but so are the rewards.

The Pre-season has been flaky, but there has been some encouraging moments, even if the defending, has still not been fixed to date IMO.....I suspect a slow start, but I still have faith in these younger players to come, really good.

For me, it was great watching, Brian Little, Andy Gray, Gareth Barry, John Deehan, Gary Shaw, Dwight Yorke etc.....all gradually and incrementally grow, in to really impressive players.....The key was though, they was given a chance.

Just take Yorkie as one example.....He was a slow starter, with us and Ron Atkinson, took time to introduce him....I still feel that with more game time, Cam Archer, could still surprise us.....David Platt was another one we bought young from Crewe, who was released by Man U, after settling with us, he became a prolific scorer, but it took a couple of seasons to do that.

Back to Felix, a hefty fee, would be too much of a gamble for me.....Loan, sure....but I fancy Atletico, just want out of the financial burden, on a damage limitation basis.

If Unai wants him fine....but just remember, like him or Loathe him, Simone is no mug either.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, TRO said:

Now, I would be happy with a Loan.....but for me, too many ifs, buts and maybe's surround him.

I just get a feeling, he would be a player, we would be waiting match to match, for that spark of brilliance, which he undoubtedly has.

My problem, with this type of talent is, we need the talent to be on show, every match......We are heading for a level, where consistency of performance is paramount.

Long gone are the days of " it would be nice if"......Now " it's essential to do it".....

Champions league, changes everything, our profile now demands consistency, ungency, intensity and guile.....The demands are high, but so are the rewards.

The Pre-season has been flaky, but there has been some encouraging moments, even if the defending, has still not been fixed to date IMO.....I suspect a slow start, but I still have faith in these younger players to come, really good.

For me, it was great watching, Brian Little, Andy Gray, Gareth Barry, John Deehan, Gary Shaw, Dwight Yorke etc.....all gradually and incrementally grow, in to really impressive players.....The key was though, they was given a chance.

Just take Yorkie as one example.....He was a slow starter, with us and Ron Atkinson, took time to introduce him....I still feel that with more game time, Cam Archer, could still surprise us.....David Platt was another one we bought young from Crewe, who was released by Man U, after settling with us, he became a prolific scorer, but it took a couple of seasons to do that.

Back to Felix, a hefty fee, would be too much of a gamble for me.....Loan, sure....but I fancy Atletico, just want out of the financial burden, on a damage limitation basis.

If Unai wants him fine....but just remember, like him or Loathe him, Simone is no mug either.

Aaargh! Comma overload!! 😂

1 hour ago, TRO said:

This is exactly it for me.  I know people are getting frustrated, but we're clearly playing this out until Atletico crack and do a deal on our terms (or at least closer to them than they're currently willing to do).  It's the smart play.  And if they don't then it's somebody else, maybe Lo Celso, maybe a name we're not seen mentioned.  We absolutely will have other irons in the fire though.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

So Romano now reporting Felix said yes to us before Chelsea entered the bidding …  

That’s Romano’s opinion. Matteo Moretto has said we haven’t made any offers. It’s just a question of who you choose to believe. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

That’s Romano’s opinion. Matteo Moretto has said we haven’t made any offers. It’s just a question of who you choose to believe. 

Probably none of them really know. 

37 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

He can say yes to us without us having made an offer.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, striker said:

He won’t be hovering like a vulture, he’ll be swooping magnificently like an eagle. This is The Sultan you’re talking about young man!!😎😎😎

• Haha 1

Imagine it not going through!? Everything all signed and ready and then "Actually Conor can you come back it's not happening now mate". I know this is life of a footballer and this happens all the time (without the general public really knowing the full details). But it must be difficult. Are my family moving to Spain? Am I going to be playing Champions League next year?

2 hours ago, Steero113 said:

He can say yes to us without us having made an offer.

But as things stand, that’s Romano’s telling of it. We don’t have more details hence no bids. All we have a selective 7 second clip someone put on Twitter. 

18 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

But as things stand, that’s Romano’s telling of it. We don’t have more details hence no bids. All we have a selective 7 second clip someone put on Twitter. 

Who knows if we have bid or not.  Whether we have officially bid or just discussed financial details of a deal that would be acceptable or whether we have done none of it.  I doubt we’ve done nothing (at one end of the scale) and obviously we haven’t agreed a fee but as usual it’s somewhere in between.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â