João Félix

Delphinho123

I don’t see how we can’t afford him fee wise but it’s the wages - need to cull players who offer us no value for the wages their on - the donk, Carlos, that’s just under. £200k pw selling Duran will save us less than £40k pw so cannot see it hanging on his sale either. 

This is always how this was going to play out.

A Madrid are stuck with him and have made it known the world over they want rid. Villa and Emery like him but he has to fit into how we do things - both the fee and wages etc. For this to work on Villas end it would have to be closer to the end of the window when A Madrid are more desperate and accept the fee we are willing to part with. We don't want another expensive gamble and Monchi is aware of this.

The reality is that someone else could swoop in and do a deal much like it appears is happening with Chelsea. There is plenty of time for this to play out either way and for us to move onto other targets if neccessary.

I don't think Monchi/Emery or the club are overly stressed about this. Yes it is a good opportunity to pick up an exceptional talent but these things can't be rushed. We are already ahead of schedule getting CL and we need to stick to the plan of steady sustainable progress.

Something about it never felt right and never really got to exciting stage for me. Despite links am not reall sure we were that interested in a permanent deal, we probably told Atleti if need him off the books deadline day we could do a loan. 

He is a talent but he seems to make bad career choices clubwise. Also not sure where would have played here positionally

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Surely evidence should be the basis for forming an opinion. Saying he's not excited to join Villa holds the same weight as someone else saying he's super excited to join Villa. It's just guess work. 

But reasoning/logic and emotions and even ethics are also part of opinion-forming evidence, aren't they?

4 hours ago, zak said:

Why do you believe him a diva?

He's far from alone, tbf. Much of it may be unfair, but I think the basic calculus -- not saying for @TRO as he can speak for himself-- isn't hard to work out: he's an attractive young man, not quite living up to promise on the pitch, and comes across as entitled? Mash it all together, and you get: Diva. Something like that? Again -- not justifying, but I think that's why people think he's a diva.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

Has he taken his morning dump yet?

Let’s ask him 😆

Dinner finished…

Dinner on the way out!

Edited by Jas10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

Something about it never felt right and never really got to exciting stage for me. Despite links am not reall sure we were that interested in a permanent deal, we probably told Atleti if need him off the books deadline day we could do a loan. 

He is a talent but he seems to make bad career choices clubwise. Also not sure where would have played here positionally

even the links, there never seemed anything solid or any kind of momentum

feels like a link that VT ran away with

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

even the links, there never seemed anything solid or any kind of momentum

feels like a link that VT ran away with

Fabrizio Romano, who is pretty reliable for what he is, has at least 5 different tweets regarding Felix and Villa.

Sure he tweets alot about alot, but id call that solid.

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

I never truly got excited about this one either, as much as I love a big name signing. The times in the past when we've signed players with reputations bigger than our club's have been a bit hit and miss.

People hate the Coutinho comparison but his transfer is part of the reason I was iffy on Felix - even if the circumstances (age, potential, wages etc.) are different. It always feels as though there's so much more risk when paying big bucks for a player and we've been burned before in these situations: Danny Ings, Darren Bent, Coutinho, Ross McCormack (who, at the time, was a big signing for us).

It's the reason why Man Utd's transfer "strategy" over the past few years is baffling to me. Signing players with huge reputations for massive fees has very rarely benefited them over the past decade (Pogba, Antony, Sancho, Lukaku, Di Maria, Casemiro, Mount, Martial etc.)

11 minutes ago, zak said:

Fabrizio Romano, who is pretty reliable for what he is, has at least 5 different tweets regarding Felix and Villa.

Sure he tweets alot about alot, but id call that solid.

Romano stocks seem to be diminishing last few windows. Celebrity tap in merchant. Ornstein ranks above now

• Like 2

11 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Same for me and why I've never been keen on Felix as he's a "name."

Our success in last five years has been the young and hungry route. Players like McGinn, Luiz, Cash, Konsa, Ollie and even Rogers for last few months of last season. All with minimal experience of top level football when they joined us, all played huge parts in getting us from newly promoted to CL in a relatively short period. Could probably add Emi in that as he only played 20 or so games for Arsenal and 0 for Argentina when he joined us.

People used to envy likes of Brighton and Swansea for sourcing that profile of player but we've been doing it successfully for many years even if we've had to pay larger fees.

The next step is adding proven players and our record is more 50/50. Had to wait two years for Bailey to hit Leverkusen form, Diaby hit and miss and only lasted a year, Tielemans had a slow start but was good in spells and probably the biggest success has been Pau and still plenty on this forum who don't rate him that highly. Kamara I wouldn't quite put in that status but very good when fit.

We had this in the championship years and also the 90s when bigger names caused disruption, Felix does give me Collymore vibes so would rather look at alternatives and interested what we come up with.

100% this

I am sure we'd love to sign him - but we don't have unlimited money, so it only works at a certain cost. A big fee plus big wages is a nightmare unless he propels us to the next level. At least with Diaby we managed to make a healthy profit, and he delivered G/A on the pitch. 
Bringing him in on mad wages might also trigger unhappiness from other players, so it''s his wages, plus increases for the likes of Ollie, Emi, etc. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Jas10 said:

This guy is hilarious 😂

But I like how keen he is on him moving to us rather than another club like Chelsea…

Not buying it unless that Romaro fella reports it, too much bluster around this 😉

7 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Romano stocks seem to be diminishing last few windows. Celebrity tap in merchant. Ornstein ranks above now

I mean that's nearly my point, he's not making up speculation. Someone of some importance is feeding him the info, right?

I think that's about as solid speculation as we get these days

8 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

But reasoning/logic and emotions and even ethics are also part of opinion-forming evidence, aren't they?

He's far from alone, tbf. Much of it may be unfair, but I think the basic calculus -- not saying for @TRO as he can speak for himself-- isn't hard to work out: he's an attractive young man, not quite living up to promise on the pitch, and comes across as entitled? Mash it all together, and you get: Diva. Something like that? Again -- not justifying, but I think that's why people think he's a diva.

I wouldn’t say Felix is particularly attractive. He’s ok but he’s no Beckham or Grealish.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zak said:

I mean that's nearly my point, he's not making up speculation. Someone of some importance is feeding him the info, right?

I think that's about as solid speculation as we get these days

Which could be agent and we've not reached out at all

14 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

Bringing him in on mad wages might also trigger unhappiness from other players

It's certainly a balancing act which some seem oblivious to when a fancy name is linked. Manure have been trash for ages paying stupid wages just because their ancillary revenue is so high. I like Emery and Co for boxing clever. I mean he only bought in Moreno one window and we were 4th or 5th in form table from time he took over from Gerrard until season end. 

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â