João Félix

Delphinho123

12 minutes ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Totally different, Diaby is a winger, you can’t expect much from him utilizing other ways.

Felix is exactly the player we need in our tactics. Him and Rogers will be rotated, sometimes play together. But both offers different dimension to the team. 

Felix already showed he can play under the physicality of the PL, he was the most dangerous player at Chelsea (with Chilwell), I used to watch them when they were around us that season. From his performances with Chelsea I’d sign him. Let alone his old form with Atletico.

Agreed.

If you compare the goal that Felix scored last week and Ramsey's goal - the similarities are striking.  Ball played out of defence into a forward dropping off the defensive line.  Lay off.  Then a ball played behind the defence for the player sprinting through. 

In that regard Felix is a much better fit for the "linking" attacker than Diaby and it gives us Watkins, Bailey, Rogers, Ramsey and Felix himself (plus our FBs) as players looking to then latch onto the through ball.  Basically Tielemans (or Emi B or Barkley) will then have multiple options for the slide ball.  That's not something that Diaby did very often.  So Felix seems a better "fit" for that style of play.  It wouldn't necessarily have to be him - but someone who plays a similar way makes a lot of sense.

I think it makes it hard for teams to defend against because we've got players heading back towards our goal and others clearly looking to attack the space behind defenders - so they will be more in a quandry whether to track Felix / Rogers / Watkins dropping or to hold their line.  Either way it gives us chances to then progress the attack in different ways.  And if teams drop deep to defend their own box then I think he and Rogers give us different options to try and break that deeper line.  At the very least it will give the defence something else to think about and possibly allow Ollie a bit more space.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DJBOB said:

The problem is that teams will be content focusing on the others and isolating Felix in the build up - much like they did Diaby. In Unai’s system, he will be asked to physically battle 1v1 with his marker on him and much like opponents did Diaby, the prem will be physically tougher on Felix. 

His lock picking is also over exaggerated. A great dribbler but rarely has the final pass in him. 

If you watched Felix, his ability to find space with his first touch is unbelievable, leaves defenders for dust 

• Like 2

I’ve watched a lot of Felix and he has talent, but it’s once out of every ten matches where he applies it. 

Similar to Diaby, under the right circumstances, he can shine but that’s the problem with a luxury player, he’s not a consistent match winner.

And Unai has done well developing untapped potential but that has primarily been players that were hard workers but didn’t understand the tactical nuances. Felix has never been known as a hard worker. 

Felix is a luxury, a hit or miss and a highlight reel player that will be MOTM 1/10 times. Which would be nice to have but for 40-50M+ - no thank you. 

• Like 1

Very much in the Felix camp. We are not looking to replace the goal output of Diaby, we need some one to be creative and control games, improve our possession, feed our forwards and to give us something other than speed and athleticism which we have now all over the pitch.

I thought he was excellent at Chelsea despite him allegedly being branded a failure(?), and seen enough to know when settled he offers a level of quality which is all too rare, and something we dont have. 

Emery seems convinced he is another piece in the jigsaw and if he offers the added value that Pau has added then cant see how he couldnt work for us other than if he can't snap out of his sulky demeanour, which I reckon is a perception rather than reality. In terms of home from home, whilst he is Portuguese, you feel Villa is 'little Spain' nowadays, its likely its as comfortable an environment he could be in as any here, it certainly helps he would arrive as Teacher's pet. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DJBOB said:

Felix is Diaby 2.0 for me. 

A luxury player in the truest sense of the word, and not one that can drag the team up the pitch when needed. 

If he can contribute up to 20 goals or assist he would be able to replace Diaby. To call Diaby a luxury player is nonsense.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DJBOB said:

A luxury player in the truest sense of the word, and not one that can drag the team up the pitch when needed. 

29 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

If he can contribute up to 20 goals or assist he would be able to replace Diaby. To call Diaby a luxury player is nonsense.

Indeed... "Diaby rank[ed] in the top five per cent of attackers from Europe’s top five leagues for progressive carries (3.89 per 90 minutes) in the past 12 months."

• Like 1

I'm not in the Felix camp but would say that if we want lock picking ability then Baena is the better buy.  If we go for Felix, I think it's in small part about being the back-up 9 / lock picker but more so to be a foil to work off Ollie and connect a few of our forward players with little lay offs

3 hours ago, DJBOB said:

The problem is that teams will be content focusing on the others and isolating Felix in the build up - much like they did Diaby. In Unai’s system, he will be asked to physically battle 1v1 with his marker on him and much like opponents did Diaby, the prem will be physically tougher on Felix. 

His lock picking is also over exaggerated. A great dribbler but rarely has the final pass in him. 

I share your concerns.

Having said that, If Unai, wants him, I will bow to his superior Knowledge.

I actually think some of our younger players, Ramsey, Rogers, Archer, Philogene, Illing Junior, could well rise to the challenge, and could surprise some of us.

When these players continue to develop, it's anyone's guess, just how high their ceiling could be.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I'm divided. Part of me believes that if Unai wants him he must be better than the overrated, overcoddled, entitled empty promise I normally seem to perceive, and since I'm regularly wrong about all kinds of football matters, I'm happy to have my instincts proven wrong once again. It's a way of life for me.

The other part of me believes this may just be the first major blunder (of more to come, inevitably) by Unai at Villa, that Felix is Unai's the Moby Dick he can't let go of (!), and it all has the feel of depressing ineluctability to see the dream begin to show cracks.

I don't see myself getting undivided any time soon, even well after any deal goes through or fails, so post whatever you want in reply -- it won't faze me.  It's something we can and will argue over for months to come, probably.

I'd like to see Villa let go of him and take a fresh approach, which is the kind of thing I often say right before I'm proven completely wrong. So maybe this will all be moot soon.

But not one single time have Villa under Emery gone for the Big Baller-in-the-Media because Villa under Emery have always been about developing a squad of somewhat under-the-radar players. The Spanish and Portuguese football media love Felix for some reason. It's weird. I don't suspect the reasons are particularly valid, such is the stupidity of so much of Football Twitter. Felix is a handsome young man, I suppose, once featured on the opening screen for FIFA 22 or something like that, one of these sort of accidental overly hyped football celebs that hasn't really lived up to the hype and is more photogenic than consistent on the pitch.  It feels strange this one, but again, full circle, I'm divided. 

giphy.gif

Edited by Marka Ragnos

5 hours ago, DJBOB said:

Felix is definitely starting to get more respect on here. A few weeks ago he was Coutinho 2.0 and now Diaby. Hopefully by next week he will be Messi 2.0🤞

Edited by Made In Aston
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Supervillan78 said:

He is a world class player who is recognised globally.
Imagine how much this signing would elevate our profile internationally. 

He is not world class, not even near world class. Surplus to requirements at Atletico, last season mostly just bench option at Barcelona.

I'm sorry, but calling him world class is ridiculous.

Edited by Czarnikjak
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Heard the same about coutinho. It wasn't true then and it's not true now. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Czarnikjak said:

He is not world class, not even near world class. Surplus to requirements at Atletico, last season mostly just bench option at Barcelona.

Potentially world class but still has a lot to prove… Diaby already proved he was a solid player and contributed a lot with goals and assists. Big gamble really, I personally would have preferred to keep Diaby and that’s assuming Felix is actually coming. We definitely need a replacement to keep Bailey on his toes, he only improved once he had a direct replacement breathing down his neck.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AntrimBlack said:

There are bad vibes around this one.

There are slow vibes, I’m not sure how there are bad vibes

• Like 1

If he was “World Class” Atletico would not be letting him go and Chelsea and Barca wouldn’t have sent him back post loan.

He wasn’t even a starter for Barcelona and they have gone elsewhere with their bank loans in this window 

50 minutes ago, nick76 said:

There are slow vibes, I’m not sure how there are bad vibes

he wants to sign for Barcelona, there is not one shred of evidence that he wants to sign for us, at best we are back up option pushed by his club and not him.

Altletico tried and failed to sell him to Chelsea and to Barca although the latter could still happen, people give Duran dog's abuse for being a young arrogant twonk (and possibly justified) yet act like Felix is just this misunderstood talent wronged by an assh*le manager (could be true who knows). Probably what West Ham fans think about Duran? Or did.

Maybe not 'bad vibes' but nothing about this feels great, especially seeing as there has not been one actual credible update aside Emery 'being interested'.

Happy to be wrong and hope I am.

2 hours ago, Czarnikjak said:

In fairness, it depends on how you define "world class"—obviously. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â