World Cup: Matches

Genie

5 hours ago, Mic09 said:

Because unlike England, most countries take great pride in the national team, it's a matter of highest importance. 

So being 3rd in the world is a pretty big deal for most. 

Not sure what England has to do with it. If being 3rd best in the world is a big deal then so would knowing you're 5th best rather than 8th best? But you cant know that.

We dont know who the third best European team is each year, or third best fa cup team. 

9 hours ago, sne said:

Dayot Upamecano and Adrien Rabiot both sick for France (might still play). They've been having a almost comical time with injuries and stuff ahead of and under this WC. Good thing they have as good a talent pool as anyone in the world.

On the positive side Benzema is apparently injury free and he is still registered for them.

Upamecano was the worst player on the pitch against England so I imagine that won't affect them too much

29 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Not sure what England has to do with it. If being 3rd best in the world is a big deal then so would knowing you're 5th best rather than 8th best? But you cant know that.

We dont know who the third best European team is each year, or third best fa cup team. 

It's the podium. The top three. The gold, the silver and the bronze.

It's an established sport listing. Nothing else matters really.

England has to do with it, because you asked for a point of the 3rd place game. In England, it's not seen as important. For Marocco, it might be very important to come 3rd in the world. 

2 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

It's the podium. The top three. The gold, the silver and the bronze.

It's an established sport listing. Nothing else matters really.

England has to do with it, because you asked for a point of the 3rd place game. In England, it's not seen as important. For Marocco, it might be very important to come 3rd in the world. 

Was very important in Sweden when we beat Bulgaria in the bronze game in 94.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Beastmix said:

This might have been asked already, but how have Argentina have been allocated so many tickets?

Throughout this tournament, they've almost packed out the stadiums for every game, whereas their opponents have only been allocated small pockets of fans (bar, perhaps, the Saudi match). What's going on there? I've never seen this at a major international tournament before.

It's like they have a home game every time, which is a bit unfair really.

There are/were a actually number of different ways to get tickets, obviously, but from what I know (and I may be wrong), the main reason why so many Argentinians possess seats is simply because many Argentinians bought tickets right away and could by different means. They're particularly football crazy. It's a populous nation, too, something like 15x the population of Croatia, for example. Again, I may have this wrong and I reckons it's boringly simplistic , but that's how I would answer your question.  

Edited by Marka Ragnos

1 hour ago, Marka Ragnos said:

It's Morocco versus France, but wow, so many Morocco players might have played for Holland -- or France! -- and chose not to. It's interesting ...

Bit like Dest and Weah eh 😃

Edited by Johnnyp

10 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

That’s game over already. Morocco’s whole game is based on feeding off scraps and catching you on the break. Have to come out now and play. Could be slaughter this. 

The fine margin quality is what is showing.

For all Morocco's hard work, the cutting edge and quality is just lacking compared to France.

Once.mistake and it's punished.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

56 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

After following VT for years and being a huge Villa fan, here is my first post.

Apparently there will be 55,000 Moroccan fans at the game tonight. 

Having just got back from Qatar (staying with @JAMAICAN-VILLAN) I can confirm the place is heaving with them.

I can also confirm that they will be supporting France in the final, the country many of them support usually in tournaments.

At least they have some heritage and connection with both, unlike the vast majority of Argentina "fans" at games, who are just local Messi fans in Argentina tops. :)

Great post -- thank you. Would love to see Morocco pull it off today, but it's mostly because it's exciting to see an underdog punch upward, not because of some geopolitical storyline. There IS an oversimplifying France the Evil Colonizers versus Morocco the Global South Victims narrative going around in general today that's suspect. I can see how some of that definitely applies, but it distorts the facts. When you look at the French players and their families, so many of them also either came from almost nothing -- Mbappe's father's life story is a good example -- or are at best a generation away from very difficult circumstances, often themselves having dealt with the effects of imperialism. Morocco itself has a fairly robust and liberal economy, but there's high unemployment and unequal wages, too. It bears as much resemblance to sub-Saharan cultures as Britain's does with Turkey's. I'm just saying things are complicated, as your post about Moroccan supporters suggests, too.  

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Thanks 1