World Cup: Matches

Genie

10 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Better team all night. Probably the best we’ve ever played when losing a knockout game. Certainly that I can remember. 

Southgate not faultless though. Sterling was an odd choice. No Grealish until it was too late. Odd changes. 

Hard to be too critical after that though 

Reminded me of the loss to Germany in the 1970 World Cup, Euro 96 and in the 1990 World Cup, as did Harry's second penalty remind me of Chris Waddle's attempt in 90. It is getting repetitive now, it's not coming home again, is it? :( 

10 hours ago, villa4europe said:

And the England fans that tune in every 2 to 4 years and ignore everything else in between

The stat sheet still says best England manager ever

As Benjamin Disraeli once said: “There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.”

image.jpeg.b0bb734770ed2b46a95145ce60564d9d.jpeg image.jpeg.e3e76f6527682d8c81522622a379238f.jpeg image.jpeg.7eb5d808cf8f27336f3d5363e889d879.jpeg

10 hours ago, maqroll said:

It's a cruel game.

England the slightly better team on the whole.

Pickford a bit flat footed on the first goal.

Maguire let Giroud walk right by him for the second.

Dodgy ref.

Kane had a great game. Lost his concentration at the biggest moment. That will haunt him for the rest of his life.

Silver lining is this is probably curtains for Southgate who should have turned the screws when England scored and had all the momentum.

Get Deano in as England manager and win the Euros.

image.jpeg.01a6d4d7eebef6b8b31ae9e698d3be85.jpeg 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, John said:

As Benjamin Disraeli once said: “There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.”

image.jpeg.b0bb734770ed2b46a95145ce60564d9d.jpeg image.jpeg.e3e76f6527682d8c81522622a379238f.jpeg image.jpeg.7eb5d808cf8f27336f3d5363e889d879.jpeg

I think he's now overtaken alfs win percentage, was already ahead of the other 2

Also won more tournament games than any manager is English history and reached more quarters, semis and finals than anyone

His stats are longevity related, how many managers get 3 tournaments?

But at the same time seriously look at the shite we had for 20+ years and you can see why the casual tournament only England fans, of which I'm sure there are a lot, think Southgate's pretty good

He's a great manager if you read his wiki rather than watch his football

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I think he's now overtaken alfs win percentage, was already ahead of the other 2

Also won more tournament games than any manager is English history and reached more quarters, semis and finals than anyone

But at the same time seriously look at the shite we had for 20+ years and you can see why the casual tournament only England fans, of which I'm sure there are a lot, think Southgate's pretty good

I scratch my head for 20 years how England keep getting the absolute plum group draws. Iran USA Wales lol. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

In all my time I do not know any other England manager that has had 3 tournaments…. And such easy opponents in those tournaments. 

To have him as the most successful England manager in our history is almost making a mockery of those that came before him imo.

1 minute ago, Tommo_b said:

In all my time I do not know any other England manager that has had 3 tournaments…. And such easy opponents in those tournaments. 

To have him as the most successful England manager in our history is almost making a mockery of those that came before him imo.

That's what international football is though

Capello has the highest win percentage which says it all

Southgate is 2nd or 3rd for percentage, top for games won at a tournament, joint top for finals reached, top for semi finals, top for quarter finals

All context will be removed by the stattos and casual viewers

10 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Henderson has been excellent this tournament to be fair. 

I had massive doubts about him starting any games but he’s been great

Excellent? Had one good game against senegal thats all. Was really poor yesterday. Id say ok at best

Just now, Demitri_C said:

Excellent? Had one good game against senegal thats all. Was really poor yesterday. Id say ok at best

He was fine yesterday. He had to play a weird position to help Walker nullify Mbappe and leave Bellingham free to play more advanced. 

It worked

12 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

I scratch my head for 20 years how England keep getting the absolute plum group draws. Iran USA Wales lol. 

Of the 6 world cups in that time frame I’d say England have had an easy group in 3 of them. 

2002 was Argentina, Sweden, Nigeria. That’s not easy

2014 was Italy Uruguay and Costa Rica. That was the group of death

2018 Belgium Tunisia and Panama. Not massively difficult but certainly not a gimme

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

Yes,  I agree that the stats do show that he is the most successful England manager ever, but those stats are so very wrong. The FA have appointed some awful managers during this century and during the one before, in my opinion. Southgate is among them. He's not the worst, he might arguably be among the best of the worst, but without doubt he's not the best. He was like Ron Greenwood before him a "safe" appointment, but he's not and never will be a winner. Sadly, I think we are stuck with him, unless he decides to go, which I very much doubt that he will. By the way, no doubt he has already advised Harry that missing a crucial penalty might open the same opportunities for him, that it did him:

ENGLAND'S FLOPS IN NEW AD - Daily Star 

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

It worked

That's the key bit, Henderson had a good tournament, overall I still don't think England's midfield is what we want it to be but Southgate stumbled across something that was better than rice phillips and mount

I think the rice Bellingham Henderson midfield wins us the euros, it's salt in the wound I think the performance from last night wins us the euros, Henderson balanced us nicely even if it wasn't flashy

Now he has to replace Henderson and build around Bellingham, I still want him gone but don't think he will be, if he reverts to phillips he can **** off  - and the next game is Italy away so he probably will

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Of the 6 world cups in that time frame I’d say England have had an easy group in 3 of them. 

2002 was Argentina, Sweden, Nigeria. That’s not easy

2014 was Italy Uruguay and Costa Rica. That was the group of death

2018 Belgium Tunisia and Panama. Not massively difficult but certainly not a gimme

2018 I just looked at Tunisia and Panama minnows. What was shocking in 2018 Australia in group with France and Denmark lol

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

That's the key bit, Henderson had a good tournament, overall I still don't think England's midfield is what we want it to be but Southgate stumbled across something that was better than rice phillips and mount

I think the rice Bellingham Henderson midfield wins us the euros, it's salt in the wound I think the performance from last night wins us the euros, Henderson balanced us nicely even if it wasn't flashy

Now he has to replace Henderson and build around Bellingham, I still want him gone but don't think he will be, if he reverts to phillips he can **** off  - and the next game is Italy away so he probably will

Yeah that’s the difference between the two games. After the euros I was angry because we didn’t play well. And if we had we’d have won. And that was on Southgate. It reminded me of Villa’s FA Cup final back in 2000 against Chelsea. 

Last night we were actually good. That doesn’t mean we were amazing, or that I’m letting Southgate off. But we didn’t actually play badly. So I’m disappointed rather than angry. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

2018 I just looked at Tunisia and Panama minnows. What was shocking in 2018 Australia in group with France and Denmark lol

Tunisia aren’t and weren’t minnows. Don’t get me wrong, they’re not amazing and it wasn’t a massively difficult group. But it certainly wasn’t a “plum draw”. It’s just a normal World Cup group