World Cup: Matches

Genie

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

The logic for bringing on Mount was to win a penalty? Not sure what the relevance is there. I'd say "won" is also doing a lot of heavy lifting in that sentence. It was a moment of utter madness from Hernandez.

Honestly I don't know how you could watch England since Southgate took over and not see that they put an emphasis on set pieces. It's one of the most (only?) identifiable things about his side.

Perhaps they aren't playing for them the way Tony Pulis teams used to, but it's their main attacking threat. Whether that's by design or due to a lack of other ideas is hard to say.

Look, I could quibble with some of the subs, but nothing Southgate did tonight was inexplicable. Mount only wins that penalty by making a great run into the box… yes of course it’s a stupid foul, but still.

You’re making out we lost that game because of huge mistakes by Southgate. I can see areas of improvement, but nothing particularly dramatic.

And I say this as someone who thought Southgate was absolute toilet. But this tournament he’s been fine. Be amazed if the FA find anyone better. International football is a **** mess and no world class manager in his prime wants to manage a national team. So be careful what you wish for. 

• Like 1

If maddison is injured Mount is the only attacking central midfielder in the squad isn't he?

Southgate's love of him has always been a problem, tonight wasn't as bad as the euros, it's maybe more the reluctance to try foden or grealish as a 10 because they don't play for their club there

For all the attacking talent on paper we don't have a 10 at club level

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

Look, I could quibble with some of the subs, but nothing Southgate did tonight was inexplicable. Mount only wins that penalty by making a great run into the box… yes of course it’s a stupid foul, but still.

You’re making out we lost that game because of huge mistakes by Southgate. I can see areas of improvement, but nothing particularly dramatic.

And I say this as someone who thought Southgate was absolute toilet. But this tournament he’s been fine. Be amazed if the FA find anyone better. International football is a **** mess and no world class manager in his prime wants to manage a national team. So be careful what you wish for. 

Not at all, I agree he didn't do much wrong today. I think Grealish was an obvious sub, and Sterling probably wasn't the best sub either given the circumstances. All minor quibbles though.

I think the problem with Southgate and this game come from before the ball was even kicked. The way he approaches games generally speaking means that once this team comes up against a comparable side they won't be able to win.

They were never going to beat France today. Not because France are so much better than them (they're better, but beating them shouldn't be an impossible task), but because when you play with no cohesion, as a group of decent individuals, it's just not enough to beat teams like France. You'll past by teams like Senegal or Sweden or Denmark, but not the Frances or Italy's of this world.

We know first hand, probably better than most sets of fans, that moments of magic football just doesn't work in 2022. We've been burnt a few times now by it.

• Like 1

I feel bad for Kane. The guy is bankable from the penalty spot but in his biggest moment he bottled it. 

He will be haunted by that forever. And he probably won't be a starter for the 2026 team if they qualify. 

Today was his chance and he pulled a Tonev. Brutal.

I was rooting for you guys.

Foden should have been pulled for Jack at about 65'.

9 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Quite a few have been sacked already this WC so if Pep had been serious about going international he could have had his pick between Brazil, Spain and Belgium already.

11 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Not at all, I agree he didn't do much wrong today. I think Grealish was an obvious sub, and Sterling probably wasn't the best sub either given the circumstances. All minor quibbles though.

I think the problem with Southgate and this game come from before the ball was even kicked. The way he approaches games generally speaking means that once this team comes up against a comparable side they won't be able to win.

They were never going to beat France today. Not because France are so much better than them (they're better, but beating them shouldn't be an impossible task), but because when you play with no cohesion, as a group of decent individuals, it's just not enough to beat teams like France. You'll past by teams like Senegal or Sweden or Denmark, but not the Frances or Italy's of this world.

We know first hand, probably better than most sets of fans, that moments of magic football just doesn't work in 2022. We've been burnt a few times now by it.

Fair enough, I disagree that the win wasn’t there for us. To me it looked well within our grasp, and it just wasn’t our night.

Problem with international football is you just don’t get many chances at the big prizes. It’s less meritocratic than club football, where you can win 10 trophies in 3 years. A lot of it is just luck.

I was all out to get Southgate in 2018 and 2020 (21) but this time I have a lot more sympathy for him, as I think he has improved a fair bit and is much less to blame this time round 

25 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Dean Smith would love the opportunity. 

14 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I feel bad for Kane. The guy is bankable from the penalty spot but in his biggest moment he bottled it. 

He will be haunted by that forever. And he probably won't be a starter for the 2026 team if they qualify. 

In four years Kane will be 33, and likely still around.

Giroud is 36, Lewandowski is 34.

Agree with Foden getting subbed for Grealish, the one thing Southgate got wrong. Yet he has his favourites, all managers do.

Just now, KentVillan said:

Fair enough, I disagree that the win wasn’t there for us. To me it looked well within our grasp, and it just wasn’t our night.

Problem with international football is you just don’t get many chances at the big prizes. It’s less meritocratic than club football, where you can win 10 trophies in 3 years. A lot of it is just luck.

I was all out to get Southgate in 2018 and 2020 (21) but this time I have a lot more sympathy for him, as I think he has improved a fair bit and is much less to blame this time round 

That's the thing. A win looked well within our grasp in the 2018 playoff final. It just never happens unfortunately. I agree this game was for the taking. France are good, but they aren't as good as 2018. If Pogba and Benzema were fit it'd be a different story. They didn't create much themselves.

59 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I couldn't care less about Kane since that manufactured penalty against Cash. If anything justice was done today

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Would love argentina, messi and emi to win it now.

Laughable how 'its coming home' until england play a side half capable in a major tournament. Will never win anything again

That's my point, as soon as we meet a team who are as good on paper, we crumble. France weren't great, but they still scored two cracking goals. We didn't get anything from open play and never really looked like getting anything, imo.

Only saw the highlights.

All I have to say about VARs, dodgy penalties, dodgy officials and Kane having form in diving, is that all those who support the so called top 6 saying about England being robbed.....try looking at the dodgy decisions a team from the top 6 get when playing any other club outside the so called top 6.

I think there is corruption throughout the premier league and international football and I don't just mean FIFA and the governing bodies...

9 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Classy French players commiserating with the English - unlike a certain Portuguese

Didn't quite make up for Mbappe's reaction to Harry's penalty miss though (I know they all felt like this, but to show it....:angry:)

𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐒𝐩𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐍𝐞𝐰𝐬 on Twitter: "Mbappe after Harry Kane's  missed penalty kick. #FIFAWorldCup https://t.co/KKYAzZjhL4" / Twitter