World Cup: Matches

Genie

55 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Bentancur oozes class.

There's an alternate reality, where we did sign him and Steven had him as backup for McGinn, missing the World Cup.

We missed out on a player there, that's for sure.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's so funny how a side can come from two goals down, seem to have all the momentum behind them, and then lose it all as soon as they get level. We saw it with Cameroon in the earlier game as well (who made the daft decision to make three changes immediately afterwards). There must be a powerful psychological relief to 'being back on level terms' that it really removes your edge as a team. 

Maybe it's because they have something to lose again.

I’m not English but from the outside looking in , particularly in this tournament, i do feel they get unfairly held to a ridiculously high standard by the media compared to other countries. Italians were notoriously slow starters in world cups. Crawling through the group stages on many occasions - even needing results to go their way in the last round of games. However when they get though they’d then go far, won it a few times ( inc euros ) England could well go far yet. Nobody in group A they’d be worried about. Even if Holland came 2nd. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I’m not English but from the outside looking in , particularly in this tournament, i do feel they get unfairly held to a ridiculously high standard by the media compared to other countries. Italians were notoriously slow starters in world cups. Crawling through the group stages on many occasions - even needing results to go their way in the last round of games. However when they get though they’d then go far, won it a few times ( inc euros ) England could well go far yet. Nobody in group A they’d be worried about. Even if Holland came 2nd. 

Not sure about that, Ecuador are as much of a pressing machine as US and have a very good defensive record in last year. I know it's not a vintage dutch in attacking sense but they hardly created anything v Ecuador after the early goal.

Think England would rather play Senegal who'll go at a slower tempo. Ecuador would give them a tough game especially as everyone in the press would underestimate them.

18 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Not sure about that, Ecuador are as much of a pressing machine as US and have a very good defensive record in last year. I know it's not a vintage dutch in attacking sense but they hardly created anything v Ecuador after the early goal.

Think England would rather play Senegal who'll go at a slower tempo. Ecuador would give them a tough game especially as everyone in the press would underestimate them.

Don’t know, from watching it so far group  A looks the weakest. I think missing Mane is papering over a lot of Senegal’s issues. Arguably the weakest African side at the finals. Qatar is a gimme for all of them really in that group. I’ll be honest - didn’t see much of Ecuador in qualifying. I know have an insane record at home anyway. Winner takes all really with them v Senegal tomorrow. Well, a point actually does Ecuador. Holland just look a bit meh. Build up is very slow. Don’t press the opposition too intensely. 

3 minutes ago, maqroll said:

The politics are boiling for Iran-USA.

I hope the states beat the shite out of them. Klinsmann was wrong what he said but there is truth to it. Extremely cynical against Wales. Dirty.  Played the clock from minute 1. Two fine goals but nah, not for me plus you know it’s the equivalent of winning the WC if they got through and they’d be hammered in the last 16. The states would genuinely believe they’d beat Holland ( if they win group A, should do )

7 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

I hope the states beat the shite out of them. Klinsmann was wrong what he said but there is truth to it. Extremely cynical against Wales. Dirty.  Played the clock from minute 1. Two fine goals but nah, not for me.

Klinsmann was wrong in that he misidentified the cause of this footballing culture. They are cynical, they are dirty, they do employ gamesmanship, but that's not the footballing culture of Iran, or at least if it is, it's one that's being coached into them; it's the natural national footballing culture of their manager - they've been taught Portuguese.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

I hope Iran batter the US. The players are in an awful position with whats going on in the country and they deserve to bring some joy to their people.

I hold no ill will toward the Iran players or people. I'd be happy for them if they advanced.

P.S. Some terms and conditions apply.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Rumoured Henderson starting tonight??

Why does Safegate not just go out tonight to batter Wales, show them how far ahead we are. Knowing Safegate he'll play it safe as he won't want to embarrass them due to respect. 

We gave the yanks way too much respect. If we went at them early doors we could have broken them.