World Cup: Matches

Genie

1 minute ago, messi11 said:

Argentina vs Brazil would be a epic Semi Final! 

If there are no upsets then the entire quarter final lineup is pretty epic on paper to be honest. 

• Like 1

Yeah Defiantly 

If Argentina reach the final that would mean its their 5th match at the Lusail Iconic Stadium in the tournament. Whilst the other finalist would be their first.
Surely that's an advantage 

Edited by messi11

1 hour ago, tomav84 said:

if emi wins the WC we lose him in the summer, maybe even earlier

to who? Is no spot in the top Champions clubs

they are not outfield players you can squeeze into other positions

• Like 1

Well there are some moments of magic that’s for sure… 

To be fair to Southgate he’s doing OK - you can only beat what is in front of you. He’s also generally sticking to 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 which looks infinitely better than 5 at the back.

Still can’t substitute to save his life though. At 3-0 should have rested Kane golden boot or not given the concern over fatigue etc. at least gave Bellingham a rest though ready for France.

Still don’t think Southgate is any good, but can’t really criticise him too much so far. He reminds me more of Bruce than Gerrard,  in particular the season of the play off final we lost. Football was largely forgettable but we were winning a lot, so largely forgivable. However when we came to the crunch we just crumbled.

France will be a proper test, hopefully he will keep the same shape but I do fear he will revert to type and try and grind a result out. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Well there are some moments of magic that’s for sure… 

To be fair to Southgate he’s doing OK - you can only beat what is in front of you. He’s also generally sticking to 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 which looks infinitely better than 5 at the back.

Still can’t substitute to save his life though. At 3-0 should have rested Kane golden boot or not given the concern over fatigue etc. at least gave Bellingham a rest though ready for France.

Still don’t think Southgate is any good, but can’t really criticise him too much so far. He reminds me more of Bruce than Gerrard,  in particular the season of the play off final we lost. Football was largely forgettable but we were winning a lot, so largely forgivable. However when we came to the crunch we just crumbled.

France will be a proper test, hopefully he will keep the same shape but I do fear he will revert to type and try and grind a result out. 

And England will be a proper test for France too. That goes both ways. I genuinely think France have played nobody of note yet. Denmark had a desperate tournament. Australia are plucky but limited. Poland are cowardly and not that good. Not gonna cite the Tunisia game - was the French B team really. Now similarly England have had a few soft touches. It will both be each other’s toughest test i think

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

I think we stand as good a chance as anybody of winning it, I really do. 

Football has many facets one being belief and if we beat France then you hope the belief will sky rocket and they go on to finally win it in my life time.

Should not fear anyone after France. Won't be easy but Saturday is key.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

I dont. Sorry but the thought of mbappe vs maguire and stones already giving me nightmares. Hopefully he wont go 3 at back as we will lose as that be inviting pressure onto them 

I would rather go for four at the back and 5 in midfield. Cut off the supply link to mbappe so he has to drop back to try get the ball. Id go for something like a midfield of

Rashford henderson bellingham rice saka

Kane up top 

We need to take the game to france thats only way we win. Their back four is very suspect like ours. Having a cautious approach we lose in my opinion 

Having rash bellingham and saka attacking and creating for kane is a real handful for france 

Id probably leave foden out for this one and being him on later onto the game when tired legs as hw can cause a lot of problems

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WallisFrizz said:

Basically I see us as the Euro champions. We we the better team and it took managerial ineptitude, gamesmanship, blatant cheating and mental weakness to all conspire to mean we lost only on penalties. I mean Italy didn't even qualify as well so we're a bit like the 'Sam ryder' of the world cup 

1 hour ago, WallisFrizz said:

As much as I can’t stand Southgate (or most of the squad) there is a lot of quality and depth. It’s one of the best squads there and when on form can be a match for anybody. I believe we are handicapped by the manager, especially when we face a high calibre opposition, his tactics are found wanting. But, with the quality we have there is always a chance that we can win any game with moments of magic. 

I don’t think we will win it, but it wouldn’t be a massive shock for me if we did. Most have been saying this squad is the best we’ve had in years and it’s just the manager holding us back, if that’s truly the case then we’re in with a chance despite the manager. 

10 hours ago, messi11 said:

Is it bad that if it was England vs Argentina in the final that I would want Messi (& Martinez) to win? 
I feel like i'm a traitor to my country! But I cant help my feeling

**** Martinez, **** Messi 

Not sure which thread to post this in, but I just wanted to give a shout out to the scumbags who carried out a cowardly armed robbery of Sterling's house with his family in attendance while they knew he was away at the world cup. 

Hope you get what's coming to you, you absolute 24 karat bastards. 

• Like 2

Just now, HKP90 said:

Not sure which thread to post this in, but I just wanted to give a shout out to the scumbags who carried out a cowardly armed robbery of Sterling's house with his family in attendance while they knew he was away at the world cup. 

Hope you get what's coming to you, you absolute 24 karat bastards. 

Well said !

Really nasty people, I hate them.

I can't stand violence. They've probably left Raheem's wife and children with PTSD and maybe Raheem himself as well. Let's hope they get caught and a fitting punishment. 

16 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

There's some incredible retconning of 2018 in this thread. The actual assumption before the tournament, not that surprisingly given 2014 and 2016, was that we were complete shit, that we would lose the first knockout game if we got out of the group, and that Southgate had a completely free hit because expectations were so low. 

From the perspective of 4 years later, it's all 'well we only beat Colombia and Sweden in the knockouts!'. Back then, it was more pertinent to note that we hadn't won a knockout match since 2006 (against the no more mighty Ecuador) and hadn't ever won a World Cup penalty shootout in our entire history. 

I can't remember what the build up to 2018 was like, but England were still pretty shit.  I know, I know - semi-finals - but, honestly, we looked awful, played awful football and lost against every decent team we played.

The penalty shootout win might have overcome some sort of national mental block, mind.