World Cup: Matches

Genie

12 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Were you saying all this when Sven was manager? Or Capello?

International football is a different beast. I mean Low's a world cup winner but no club has shown an interest since he stepped down as Germany manager and it's not like Fernando Santos would be wanted by Barcelona once he leaves Portugal and he's won an international tournament. Indeed many Portugal fans wanted him gone after the last euros.

Yeah, managing a national team is usually for ageing coaches with good connections in that country’s FA. That’s why people were surprised when Pep started talking about going that route.

10 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Well for one thing they can do their laughing from their sofas. But more pertinently, you should seriously just try and enjoy winning games rather than having this entitled 'we should win it because we're England' attitude. There will be 8 teams in the QFs, 7 of them won't win anything and they will all be good teams. Just try and have some fun, maybe go outside and touch grass. 

Don't twist things and come with the entitled crap. We're talking about football not single mothers and their right to benefits. All I said was, with the right manager we could have won both of those games. Nothing entitled about that. Making yourself busy. Assaulting me with cliches. Get a grip.

Edited by sheepyvillian

8 minutes ago, useless said:

Stéphane Chapuisat, Hristo Stoichkov, Gheorghe Hagi, Jay Jay Okocha, Pavel Nedvěd, Robert Prosinečki, the magicians from back when even the lesser teams had world class players.

Hagi, now that was a player, although McGrath did have him in his pocket for 90 minutes, or was that 120 minutes?

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

There's some incredible retconning of 2018 in this thread. The actual assumption before the tournament, not that surprisingly given 2014 and 2016, was that we were complete shit, that we would lose the first knockout game if we got out of the group, and that Southgate had a completely free hit because expectations were so low. 

From the perspective of 4 years later, it's all 'well we only beat Colombia and Sweden in the knockouts!'. Back then, it was more pertinent to note that we hadn't won a knockout match since 2006 (against the no more mighty Ecuador) and hadn't ever won a World Cup penalty shootout in our entire history. 

Yeah, but we still didn’t win the tournament, so there’s that.

• Haha 1

Just now, jim said:

Yeah, but we still didn’t win the tournament, so there’s that.

Well indeed. And as I've said over the past few days on this forum, it's certainly true that if your personal standard is that only winning counts - as my friend who is ranting about single mothers for some reason put it  a few minutes ago 'Finals and semis don't mean Tom - Tit in the grand scheme of things' - then Southgate has been as much of a disaster as any previous England manager. But that simply isn't a reasonable standard to begin with IMO. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Well for one thing they can do their laughing from their sofas. But more pertinently, you should seriously just try and enjoy winning games rather than having this entitled 'we should win it because we're England' attitude. There will be 8 teams in the QFs, 7 of them won't win anything and they will all be good teams. Just try and have some fun, maybe go outside and touch grass. 

I don't know. It's not England if you don't have at least a few supporters with utterly bleak outlooks—the more self-pitying the better. That's all part of the fractious, vulnerable beauty of the English soul, for me at least. Oh, gawd, did I just say that?

19 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

But what has he done. Beat Iran, Wales, Senegal with around 1.5 billion worth of players?? Give him the **** trophies now!!!

If we fail to get past France, it will be poor tournament yet again for Southgate.

Again, completely **** irrelevant to the point 😂😂

I agree. If we go out to France it’s not a good tournament. If you were actually reading my posts you’d know that

28 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I mean Low's a world cup winner but no club has shown an interest since he stepped down as Germany manager

I can't think why 

ngo%C3%A1y-m%C5%A9i-%C3%BDki%E1%BA%BFn-g

20 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

What good things? When we win a tournament, come and talk then.

Ok so no team who hasn’t ended up winning the tournament have ever been good?

Netherlands have never ever had a good team or a good tournament have they?

France in 2006 we’re shit because they lost on penalties?

Your logic makes no sense and you know it 😂

• Like 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Again, completely **** irrelevant to the point 😂😂

I agree. If we go out to France it’s not a good tournament. If you were actually reading my posts you’d know that

Sorry, I generally dont read most of your posts, your right about that. 😂

6 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

I used to think ManUre fans were entitled and clueless.....

... then I read some of this thread from English fans.

"Southgate is crap!", "We've only beaten smaller teams", "A loss against France is a failure"

You've cruised it so far, played some good football and losing to France is no shame - they are tournament favourites.

You've every chance to progress but will turn on the coach and players if they lose. Embarrassing.

The short memories are amazing. We used to lose to smaller teams. We lost to Iceland in 2016 ffs 😂

We didn’t even get out of the groups in 2014

But people would have you believe we’re still completely shit. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

People are such hypocrites were going on about how rubbish the world cup was going to be and how they weren't going to watch it and now it's started haven't shut up about it.

It's the same with those that complain abou the 'big six' getting all media attention, then as soon as they're involved in a game the weekend match threads on here have post after post talking about the game and then after the game as well, and yes it's often the same posters, whereas if two midtable teams are playing each other it hardly gets a mention.

3 minutes ago, useless said:

People are such hypocrites were going on about how rubbish the world cup was going to be and how they weren't going to watch it and now it's started haven't shut up about it.

It's the same with those that complain abou the 'big six' getting all media attention, then as soon as they're involved in a game the weekend match threads on here have post after post talking about the game and then after the game as well, and yes it's often the same posters, whereas if two midtable teams are playing each other it hardly gets a mention.

And if you disagree with them & hold them to account, they accuse you of being a drunk.