World Cup: Matches

Genie

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

😂😂😂

Ok mate. We either win the World Cup or we are completely shit and Southgate is the worst manager of all time. 

VT black and white thinking hits again. RIP all of those with a normal **** opinion 😂

Sorry for wanting more. Typical English attitude. Wasn't you calling for Southgate to go in the thread after the Nation of league games? I'm sure you was.

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Not really, let's see how Gareth handles the good teams. We have only won when we should because of the talent we have. With better teams it comes alot more down to tactics and quality.

We were talking about the World Cup in 2018 and the euros last year. So yes whatever happens against France is irrelevant to what we were talking about. 

I think we’ll lose to France. That makes absolutely no difference to my previous post

😂😂😂

Ok mate. We either win the World Cup or we are completely shit and Southgate is the worst manager of all time. 

VT black and white thinking hits again. RIP all of those with a normal **** opinion 😂

Thing is, it’s a stretch to call that World Cup a “good tournament”. Sure, we made it to the semi finals…

…but that would’ve been entirely expected given who we faced, no? Nothing particularly “good” happened at that tournament.

Euros were different and we really should’ve won it, but Italy are a decent enough team (despite not qualifying for this World Cup). 

Just now, Stevo985 said:

We were talking about the World Cup in 2018 and the euros last year. So yes whatever happens against France is irrelevant to what we were talking about. 

I think we’ll lose to France. That makes absolutely no difference to my previous post

Well Southgate lost us the Euros for start.

Just now, sheepyvillian said:

Sorry for wanting more. Typical English attitude. Wasn't you calling for Southgate to go in the thread after the Nation of league games? I'm sure you was.

Yes I was. I wanted him gone after the Euros which we didn’t win because of him, imo.

Which is proving my point. It’s possible to give credit whilst still wanting better. 

Wanting better doesn’t mean you have to pretend good things have never happened

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Were you saying all this when Sven was manager? Or Capello?

International football is a different beast. I mean Low's a world cup winner but no club has shown an interest since he stepped down as Germany manager and it's not like Fernando Santos would be wanted by Barcelona once he leaves Portugal and he's won an international tournament. Indeed many Portugal fans wanted him gone after the last euros.

What I'm saying is if Southgate had  been a little more adventurous when it really mattered, we could have at least reached a World Cup final and been crowned European Champions,fact!

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Thing is, it’s a stretch to call that World Cup a “good tournament”. Sure, we made it to the semi finals…

…but that would’ve been entirely expected given who we faced, no? Nothing particularly “good” happened at that tournament.

Euros were different and we really should’ve won it, but Italy are a decent enough team (despite not qualifying for this World Cup). 

I agree. We had an easy route and we didn’t beat anyone particularly good. 

But England have had runs like that in the past and still lost. Are people forgetting how completely shit England have been for the best part of 60 years?

Acknowledging a tournament was good but not amazing isn’t an extreme opinion

• Like 2

Really not been overly impressed with France, Mbappe has looked good but very disinterested at times. Turned over by Tunisia, they are very beatable. 

If Bellingham, Rice and Henderson win the midfield battle I think England win the game. Both Bellingham and Foden were exceptional tonight. No way will France be looking forward to coming up against us on Saturday.

Please don't bottle it Southgate and revert to a back 3. 

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Yes I was. I wanted him gone after the Euros which we didn’t win because of him, imo.

Which is proving my point. It’s possible to give credit whilst still wanting better. 

But what has he done. Beat Iran, Wales, Senegal with around 1.5 billion worth of players?? Give him the **** trophies now!!!

If we fail to get past France, it will be poor tournament yet again for Southgate.

What good things? When we win a tournament, come and talk then.

5 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

What I'm saying is if Southgate had  been a little more adventurous when it really mattered, we could have at least reached a World Cup final and been crowned European Champions,fact!

The 2018 team back to front wasn't actually that great, had Ashley Young starting, Loftus Cheek coming on regularly, Eric Dier also playing regularly so SFs was a decent achievement. Wasn't Delph in the squad aswell/ This one has way more depth bar CB.

Yeah Euros was a missed opportunity but Italy did beat Belgium and Spain back to back and historically England never beat them in competitive matches (worse record than v Germany in last 40 years).

Most British managers are pretty slow at reading the game/making changes to personnel/formation when momentum is changing. How often were we saying that about DS, Gerrard of course was useless at it aswell and not like Potter is changing that narrative much at Chelsea so Southgate is just another one like that.

That seems the one fundamental flaw in the coaching psyche for all the improvements in the last decade that we're seeing on the pitch now.

Edited by VillaChris

24 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

It doesn't matter. We're happy about reaching a semi and a final. Germany and Italy would be laughing at us. 

Well for one thing they can do their laughing from their sofas. But more pertinently, you should seriously just try and enjoy winning games rather than having this entitled 'we should win it because we're England' attitude. There will be 8 teams in the QFs, 7 of them won't win anything and they will all be good teams. Just try and have some fun, maybe go outside and touch grass. 

• Like 3