World Cup: Matches

Genie

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It’s a shame really. I think he should be starting. But rightly or wrongly I think Southgate has cemented him as his impact sub. 

Which is an effective role for him, just sells him short imo

You could make a good case for Grealish for euros after the final season he had for us and he was fresh coming into that tournament after his injury lay off.

Not now. Foden has massively surpassed him in last 18 months and Saka's been very good for Arsenal for similar time so I think the balance is just about right either side of Kane (although Saka's end product is still a bit average so that could be an issue in tighter games which will be the case from now on). Bellingham as the AM certainly isn't going to be changed for rest of the tournament.

Seems a bit odd for people to be criticizing Southgate for not starting Grealish while simultaneously laughing everytime he's just a sub for Man. City and thus fading a bit more into obscurity from his dream move.

• Like 1

Messi is phenomenal, still going past plays with pace and wonderful skill at his age, would be a site to behold for a world class player ten or more years younger than him, but for him to still be doing at his age is simply remarkable. Deserves all the praise he gets.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Manager or players? 

It doesn't matter. We're happy about reaching a semi and a final. Germany and Italy would be laughing at us. Another manager, who sends out his team's to play on the front- foot and we would have won both games.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Django_Zooms said:

Midge Ure is a mediocre musician. Maguire will become a footballing legend. 

You've taken the heart of my fourteen-year-old self and stamped it to a pulp. Not sure the lad will recover.  

giphy.gif

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Agreed.  No striker is their problem. 

Giroud is decent. But Kane is better 

Only Mbappe and Varane get in this England side. I'd take Saka and Foden over Dembele 

Just now, sheepyvillian said:

It doesn't matter. We're happy about reaching a semi and a final. Germany and Italy would be laughing at us. Another manager, who sends out his team's to play on the front- foot and we would have won both games.

I agree,  Southgate lost us that final not the players, most have no doubt. I reckon even our guy Emeri would have won us that game.

2 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Giroud might disagree.

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

They got Greizman remember, no Mbappe, but will still be a huge threat.

Giroud too

I was joking. But is Mbappe missing the game? 

17 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

England were poor first 30 minutes but very comfortable as soon as it got to 1-0.

France is a massive test though. Thought Walker was miles off it so Mbappe will be massively exposing that level.

The likely path to glory for England now is to beat all of France, Spain and Brazil in a row. Considering what England generally do at tournaments it seems a bit of a stretch for them to suddenly reel off three major wins in a row.

We'll see but England are clearly a top 5 team in World football right now, the results say as much.

Obviously Mbappe Walker will be a huge factor in the game, but my biggest concern will be Dembele against Shaw. His pace could really get in behind us, and why I’m worried Southgate will go defensive with a back 5 and 2 holding mids.

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

I agree,  Southgate lost us that final not the players, most have no doubt. I reckon even our guy Emeri would have won us that game.

I've said it before, we were well capable of beating an aged Italian defence in 90 minutes, and then he gives a 19yr old the responsibility of taking a do or die penalty. Horrendous decision, and Southgate of all people.. I would have sacked him just for that.

• Like 1