World Cup: Matches

Genie

23 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

There are some mid table Premier league clubs that could beat this USA team pretty handily, I believe. But considering the quality of this World Cup overall, Americans should feel good about making it to the knockout stages. We bested Germany, Belgium, Sweden, Italy, China, Ghana, Cameron, Uruguay, Scotland and Wales. Nothing to be ashamed of.

As a diehard fanatical dual-national, now I have the rare opportunity to see my other country lose. And yes, I’m getting on my inner England supporter on now.

outside of maybe Brazil, I think most PL sides would beat almost all national teams. There's just a lot more coaching and training times for club teams

• Shocked 1

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

I'd say Brazil back to front are the best. Can't read too much into last night as it was a B team and they've defeat two decent european teams without scoring. Plus the incoming passing of Pele will motivate them even further. I'd be very surprised if they're not in the final.

Yes it would be fitting they won it for Pele 

23 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I really don't know who's been the best team so far. No one has been that impressive so far. 

Sadly, it's probably the French that have looked the most impressive (in the 2 games they fielded their first XI), followed by Spain for similar reasons.

Brazil, Argentina, us and the likes of Portugal etc all look ropey for the majority and beatable.

2 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

outside of maybe Brazil, I think most PL sides would beat almost all national teams. There's just a lot more coaching and training times for club teams

If International football was like Club football then you have a point but it should not be compared

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

49 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

There are some mid table Premier league clubs that could beat this USA team pretty handily, I believe. But considering the quality of this World Cup overall, Americans should feel good about making it to the knockout stages. We bested Germany, Belgium, Sweden, Italy, China, Ghana, Cameron, Uruguay, Scotland and Wales. Nothing to be ashamed of.

As a diehard fanatical dual-national, now I have the rare opportunity to see my other country lose. And yes, I’m getting on my inner England supporter on now.

I’d say there’s an argument a mid table premier league side would win the world cup

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I’d say there’s an argument a mid table premier league side would win the world cup

Would that be a side of players who didn't make world cup? I mean a side with Haaland, Salah and Mahrez as front 3 would be top 4.

37 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I'd say Brazil back to front are the best. Can't read too much into last night as it was a B team and they've defeat two decent european teams without scoring. Plus the incoming passing of Pele will motivate them even further. I'd be very surprised if they're not in the final.

Brazil, Spain, and France were the best of the first two rounds of group matches. Brazil and France may have lost their third group matches, but they were fielding mostly their second team. Brazil have injury problems now and we may be seeing more of that second team, so I'd put France ahead of them. Spain managed to lose their third match even though they were in jeopardy, and Japan showed a blueprint how to beat them, so I'd put them behind the other two. Argentina started slowly but looked very impressive in their third match and may have momentum going into the knockout rounds. I might put them in between France and Brazil. So for me, it's 1. France, 2. Argentina, 3. Brazil, 4. Spain. I'd be shocked if it isn't one of those 4. Sorry, but while the Gareth Safegate approach could get England into the semis, I doubt that it will win a tournament.

Edited by TomC

1 hour ago, stewiek2 said:

What utter shocking defending. Great finish but Jesus that's criminal from the full back.

The third Dutch goal was beyond criminal. Dumphries had been a problem all game, but neither American on the left side bothered to look over his shoulder even once during the 5-6 seconds leading up to the goal. What ever happened to "head on a swivel..."

31 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Can see this being a big score to Argentina. 4-0/5-0. Messi masterclass 

F**k Messi our Emi will get a hat trick and go on to win the golden boot and the golden glove and take his top off to reveal a tattoo of the new Villa badge across his back

Edited by stewiek2
  • Like 1

Made me chuckle, the BBC did a nice,  uplifting and positive piece about  Messi pre-match. 

Then they hand over to Danny Murphy on co-commentator duty who immediately sucks the life out of the moment. 

He is such a lemon sucking cockwomble 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Would that be a side of players who didn't make world cup? I mean a side with Haaland, Salah and Mahrez as front 3 would be top 4.

No I mean if Brighton were somehow in the World Cup they’d have a good chance of winning it

• Like 1