World Cup: Matches

Genie

1 minute ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Such a strange goal 

Not just the touch but the 2 guys falling over blocking the keeper, everything about it, saw it coming too as it looped up, could see the keeper wasn't getting it but it was like slow motion

• Like 1

There are some mid table Premier league clubs that could beat this USA team pretty handily, I believe. But considering the quality of this World Cup overall, Americans should feel good about making it to the knockout stages. We bested Germany, Belgium, Sweden, Italy, China, Ghana, Cameron, Uruguay, Scotland and Wales. Nothing to be ashamed of.

As a diehard fanatical dual-national, now I have the rare opportunity to see my other country lose. And yes, I’m getting on my inner England supporter on now.

3 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

There are some mid table Premier league clubs that could beat this USA team pretty handily, I believe. But considering the quality of this World Cup overall, Americans should feel good about making it to the knockout stages. We bested Germany, Belgium, Sweden, Italy, China, Ghana, Cameron, Uruguay, Scotland and Wales. Nothing to be ashamed of.

As a diehard fanatical dual-national, now I have the rare opportunity to see my other country lose. And yes, I’m getting on my inner England supporter on now.

Chris Rock Huh GIF - Chris Rock Huh Wtf - Discover & Share GIFs

Edited by sne

If Pulisic and Wright both score when alone vs the keeper it's 3-3.

Pathetic finishing, pathetic defending. 

Deserved losers. Sad that when the eyes of the world were on us, we played like that. 

Midfield not nearly as sharp as group stage games. Some tired players. 

We need to find a better manager and a few actual goal scorers for 2026.

Good learning experience for the youngest team at the tournament. 

4 minutes ago, maqroll said:

If Pulisic and Wright both score when alone vs the keeper it's 3-3.

Pathetic finishing, pathetic defending. 

Deserved losers. Sad that when the eyes of the world were on us, we played like that. 

Midfield not nearly as sharp as group stage games. Some tired players. 

We need to find a better manager and a few actual goal scorers for 2026.

Good learning experience for the youngest team at the tournament. 

This is a good point, and there's reasons for optimism if some of these players can raise their games as they get into their primes. As for the manager, I don't get what his issue was/is with Reyna; it was comical how much better he was than that Ferreira lad, who probably looked more like a competition winner than anyone else at the tournament so far. Got to have a manager who picks his best players. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

3 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Yeah, it’s a little cold country that made it to the quarterfinals in 2018. 

Not sure besting a team that didn't qualify for the competition is an accomplishment but congrats anyway :D 

• Like 1

Berhalter didn't do terribly but he's too loyal to these mediocre MLS players. Nothing wrong with having them in the squad but Jesus Ferreria shouldn't be starting a knock out game, barely touched the ball in first half.

Easy to say now but you should've played Aaronson as false 9 imo. I wasn't that impressed with Reyna when he came on, he needs to get fit and get some starts for Dortmund.

More I think about it a coach like Bielsa wouldn't be a bad shout for 2026 as your squad generally is the profile of the sides he does well with, Sampaoli might be another if he's available in 18 months.

Having a home world cup with Gregg Berhalter would be a massive missed opportunity.

Not sure what to make about the Netherlands. Cut through US but I thought their passing in midfield was sloppy at times and better side would expose this. That said them and probably Argentina will be a tight match and they could do enough to get through but don't think they'd have enough to knock out Brazil.

3 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes there's no stand out team. The Dutch have as good a chance as any team 

I'd say Brazil back to front are the best. Can't read too much into last night as it was a B team and they've defeat two decent european teams without scoring. Plus the incoming passing of Pele will motivate them even further. I'd be very surprised if they're not in the final.