World Cup: Matches

Genie

9 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Does this extend beyond football then? It sounds like it.

For the English? Not sure, probably some people somewhere beat their chest and remember what they think their grandad did in the war but in general I've found that the majority of English people like Germany, again have a great respect for the football, the English are generally derogative of the French not the Germans and I've never ever met anyone English who said they went to Germany and had a bad time, most absolutely love it here

For the Germans definitley not, they think brexit and the PM merry go round is hilarious and we are a shambles politically but again they love the country and our culture 

Edit -  one of the most surprising thing about germans I've found is actually how little they know about the UK, huge numbers of them know absolutely nothing about the NHS for example

Edited by villa4europe
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Beyond the home nations I don't think many other countries give a shit about England

It's important to American fans because we have an inferiority complex. 😃 

• Like 2

To add my tuppence....been to Germany many times, it's a great country and the people are also great.

Do not dislike them at all but they have won the World Cup a few times too many for my liking. Italia 90 a sore point as England were the better team in the Semi-final.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Django_Zooms said:

Ignore history and see its atrocities repeated on your generation.

Yeah you’re right, not hating Germany for the past is “ignoring history”. I’d best hate Germany lest they start WWIII. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Beyond the home nations I don't think many other countries give a shit about England

Pretty much it. English media has built up these rivalries but Germany,France, Portugal etc dont care

Maybe Argentina do but that's it

• Like 1

5 hours ago, maqroll said:

This is good experience for them for 2026. I'm sure they will take a few lessons from it.

Yeah, this tournament is really a learning opportunity for Canada. It's good they qualified, as it gives them a better chance of being less embarrassing than Qatar or South Africa next time, but they had a horrible group so no surprise they're going home. Three problems in particular today:

1) The gap in quality between their players and Croatia's is massive, and that alone means they should lose most games against opponents like these. 

2) They keep gassing after 60 minutes or so, don't know why exactly but I suppose it's just not being used to playing at this level. 

3) Herdman made a big tactical blunder in his starting lineup. The logic of picking all of Davies, David, Larin and Buchanan was presumably 'our attackers are our best players and we should get our best players on the pitch' but you can't play against Modric and Kovacic with a two-man midfield, one of whom is 39 years old. They immediately improved after HT when they took Larin off and brought another central midfielder on. Daft mistake, but the manager should be given the opportunity to learn just like the players. 

Hope they can get their first World Cup point(s) against Morocco, but they've been really unlucky with the group draw in that Morocco look to be the most capable African team as well. I do wonder how Canada would have done if they'd swapped places with USA, I feel they'd have had too much for Wales and Iran but who knows. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yeah, this tournament is really a learning opportunity for Canada. It's good they qualified, as it gives them a better chance of being less embarrassing than Qatar or South Africa next time, but they had a horrible group so no surprise they're going home. Three problems in particular today:

1) The gap in quality between their players and Croatia's is massive, and that alone means they should lose most games against opponents like these. 

2) They keep gassing after 60 minutes or so, don't know why exactly but I suppose it's just not being used to playing at this level. 

3) Herdman made a big tactical blunder in his starting lineup. The logic of picking all of Davies, David, Larin and Buchanan was presumably 'our attackers are our best players and we should get our best players on the pitch' but you can't play against Modric and Kovacic with a two-man midfield, one of whom is 39 years old. They immediately improved after HT when they took Larin off and brought another central midfielder on. Daft mistake, but the manager should be given the opportunity to learn just like the players. 

Hope they can get their first World Cup point(s) against Morocco, but they've been really unlucky with the group draw in that Morocco look to be the most capable African team as well. I do wonder how Canada would have done if they'd swapped places with USA, I feel they'd have had too much for Wales and Iran but who knows. 

Yep. Brutal first two opponents. They looked almost like amateurs in defense and that will have to be addressed.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, maqroll said:

Indonesia is football crazy, have stadia, and a massive population. Next Asian host, or China first?

Indonesia have a pretty average history even within the bi-annual AFF competition of South-East Asian nations, having never won it (though they have lost in the final 6 times!):

aff.png

Thailand are the traditional powerhouse of SE Asian football, though Vietnam have improved significantly and were the only regional team to make the final round of Asian qualifying for this World Cup (they finished bottom of their group). The whole region has been a bit of a footballing wasteland to be honest, though the enthusiasm is real enough. Maybe at least one of them should qualify for a WC before any of them host though!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Yep. Brutal first two opponents. They looked almost like amateurs in defense and that will have to be addressed.

The difference in quality between the attackers and defenders is pretty stark. The lad Miller I thought was excellent against Belgium but a definite night to forget tonight. 

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

In totality ( qualification and finals ) Canada and embarrassing don’t belong in the same sentence. To give you some perspective of what they achieved. Previously, Canada hadn’t qualified for even the final round of CONCACAF qualification since the qualifiers for France ‘98. They did that. They went from beating Haiti, Bermuda in early qualification to beating the USA , drawing with Mexico and only defeated by costa rica when they had already qualified. I didn’t think they’d do much at the finals. For every player they have like Davies ( who’s elite ) they also have Laryea ( doesn’t get a game at Forest ) They must make sure they get invited the copa america before now and 2026. They need that level of competition. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

For the English? Not sure, probably some people somewhere beat their chest and remember what they think their grandad did in the war but in general I've found that the majority of English people like Germany, again have a great respect for the football, the English are generally derogative of the French not the Germans and I've never ever met anyone English who said they went to Germany and had a bad time, most absolutely love it here

For the Germans definitley not, they think brexit and the PM merry go round is hilarious and we are a shambles politically but again they love the country and our culture 

Edit -  one of the most surprising thing about germans I've found is actually how little they know about the UK, huge numbers of them know absolutely nothing about the NHS for example

Interesting. Your take all makes much sense to me. We have some good German friends, and they're pretty, erm, funny about English people, and it's just all very complicated, although that's just a tiny slice of the population, obviously. It's not something I could sum up in 10 words or less. I think they consider some English people a bit insincere and just  ... weird and backstabby ... in some ways ... but also extremely smart and hard-working and quite reliable, in a sort of Germanic way. But British irony seems genuinely a bridge too far for almost every German I've met. While I think many east coaster type Americans like me get UK irony more than you give us credit for (whereas parts of America get it far less), I think it often comes off as something strange and puzzling to Germans, like a dangerous snaggletoothed animal that needs to watched carefully.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 1