World Cup: Matches

Genie

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

14 added minutes in the England 1st half, I'm sure it was 8 in the Dutch game and now 9 in this one

Probably more accurate than the standard +4 at the end of the 90'

33 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

That's clever from Bale, grealish esque he put his body in a place where the defender can't tackle without fouling

Can't believe how dumb Tim Ream was for that, dived in like some 20 year old kid when he just needed to jockey Bale who smartly knew he was coming.

Would still back US to finish 2nd but they really flagged after an hour and obviously don't have the depth to change things from the bench. Huge potential for 2026 if they get a decent manager in at some point in next four years.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

14 added minutes in the England 1st half, I'm sure it was 8 in the Dutch game and now 9 in this one

Glad to see that they're taking time-wasting seriously!

Wales were awful first half. First touches were awful, passes were awful, and they seemed content to let the USA come to them. USA were better than I was expecting...good fullback play, Pulisic the best player on the pitch, Weah making daddy proud. But they didn't finish Wales off while they had the upper hand. Wales were forced to play after the goal and found their touch. Dumb, dumb penalty by the Americans...why you try a tackle like that in the box on a striker with his back to goal is beyond me.

15 minutes ago, EvilChameleon said:

Brutal to come out of that with only 1 point after the great first half we had.

Putting crosses in to Pulisic sums up our problems in attack. 

We played really well defensively and had enough possession to score a second but didn't actually bother Hennessey all that much.

Started running out of gas after 60 minutes and you could smell the equalizer coming.

McKennie looked terrible. 

Really dumb from Ream for the penalty.

Hopefully snatch a point v ENG and best Iran.

Edited by maqroll

Wales have the better deal from that IMO . . . if they fancy beating Iran (and they should), and fancy England to beat USA (which is probably a better than 50/50 shot, though you wouldn't be surprised if England slip up) then Wales would go into the last game against an England who have already qualified and might be resting players, with Wales knowing they would only need a draw to get through. TL/DR - better to play Iran sooner rather than later. 

7 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

My students asked me to put on the games. Find it very interesting how interested they are in the WC

Learning or football…

Learning…

…or football…

there is no amount of human rights abuse a student wouldn’t tolerate to pick football. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Wales have the better deal from that IMO . . . if they fancy beating Iran (and they should), and fancy England to beat USA (which is probably a better than 50/50 shot, though you wouldn't be surprised if England slip up) then Wales would go into the last game against an England who have already qualified and might be resting players, with Wales knowing they would only need a draw to get through. TL/DR - better to play Iran sooner rather than later. 

Funnily enough I was at a gig last night by a Welsh folk band (Calan - they're actually bloody good) and their singer was hoping that England-Wales end up in a situation where they both only needed a draw to go through. Yeah, right, I said. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Yeah the Welsh deserved something from the game.

Thought England were good against a decent Iran team, very professional.

Bellingham was immense, just ran the show. Nice to see two Brummies on the scoresheet for England.

Yes with Bellingham in the team we have improved from the euros and saka immense too. Let's see how we do against USA. I expect a comfortable win 

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

Yes with Bellingham in the team we have improved from the euros and saka immense too. Let's see how we do against USA. I expect a comfortable win 

You might beat us (for the first time), but it won't be comfortable. 

We have enough talent and pluck to make you work for it.