• Young (Ramsey 69)
    • Bailey (Buendía 74)
    • Augustinsson (Digne 82)
    • Dendoncker (Luiz 83)
    • Archer (Ings 83)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 15/11/22 at 23:59

I think VAR acted how it should act. It wasn't a clear and obvious error, it was line ball, split second thing where the player in possession has arguably fouled a guy tackling him. Clearly Digne wasn't trying to foul, he was trying to clear the ball and missed it by a split second. 

But it was a foul and VAR would usually give a penalty there. Oh well. We've been on the wrong end of similar VAR decisions so I'm not going to feel bad about it. 

I absolutely think we could have had a free kick for their first goal, so it's swings and roundabouts as usual with these decisions.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I think it's fair to say we remember the bad decisions that go against us more than the ones we get our way, that's pretty normal, but this perspective is crazy

You know what, you're right.  All the evidence tells us they're just incompetent. So just two poor decisions in my book. The fact they kind of cancel each other out (assuming they'd have score the penalty), is just a coincidence. 

Was feeling a little conspiratorial after a few last night 🤪

• Like 1

9 hours ago, est1874 said:

Ah, he "moves" in, he doesn't run into the kick, I see. 🙄

It's not a penalty and wasn't given as a penalty either by on field official or VAR, move on.

No, you still don't see, despite a whole array of replies pointing out how wrong you are. We've had full close ups to show marsh was first to the ball, we clearly see there is no collision or "running into anyone" as you have wrongly purported, Digne kicks Marsh without playing the ball, which the rules clearly state is a foul and a unanimous, impartial panel on match of the day to say it was yet another bad VAR decision. Sometimes you just have to man up and accept you got something wrong, it's ok, it's how we grow as human beings!!

4 minutes ago, Lomaski said:

No, you still don't see, despite a whole array of replies pointing out how wrong you are. We've had full close ups to show marsh was first to the ball, we clearly see there is no collision or "running into anyone" as you have wrongly purported, Digne kicks Marsh without playing the ball, which the rules clearly state is a foul and a unanimous, impartial panel on match of the day to say it was yet another bad VAR decision. Sometimes you just have to man up and accept you got something wrong, it's ok, it's how we grow as human beings!!

Classic case of fans being clouded by club bias.

If this was the other way around I can guarantee you that 100 % of people in here would be outraged if it was not given.

2 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

I think VAR acted how it should act. It wasn't a clear and obvious error, it was line ball, split second thing where the player in possession has arguably fouled a guy tackling him. Clearly Digne wasn't trying to foul, he was trying to clear the ball and missed it by a split second. 

But it was a foul and VAR would usually give a penalty there. Oh well. We've been on the wrong end of similar VAR decisions so I'm not going to feel bad about it. 

I absolutely think we could have had a free kick for their first goal, so it's swings and roundabouts as usual with these decisions.

Agreed.  You can argue that Brighton COULD have had a penalty for the incident with March and Digne, but we SHOULD have had a freekick for Mac Allister's foul on Luiz in the buildup to their goal.  I'm sure something will come back to bite us in a future game, but for now a welcome 3 points.

• Like 1

What we showed against Brighton, and it's something that has been glaringly missing for what seems a long time, was character. It was great to see the Brighton players slowly losing their heads at not being able to dictate the outcome of the game. Even their manager was frustrated, but it sends a message to all our rivals, we're no longer a team that can be bullied into making mistakes and making it easier for opponents by panicking when the pressure is on. 

We still have some way to go, but what a buzz this manager has brought. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Lomaski said:

Whole array of replies 😅 3?

I direct you to the Digne thread where there is a gif of the incident and debate about it, there are "a whole array of" people saying it wasn't a pen. Jump in there if you're so eager to prove people wrong. The clip also clearly shows March running into the challenge, so I haven't wrongly "purported" anything.

21 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Love seeing them come together after the game there. Huge 3 points. Might not have been pretty at times but that was a great scrappy win.

No points for artistic impression.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, stewiek2 said:

Yet another diabolical refereeing performance. How they are not accountable is an absolute joke. He wants sacking. And his blind as a bat linesmen!

I thought for march's penalty claim....they had 20/20 vision.

22 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

All the commentators saying penalty! For me he ran into the tackle when Digne was just about to kick the ball out. There was no way Digne even saw him?? If we need anymore defence, it wasn't clear and obvious.

Great win, that Brighton team play some great football, did well to win that!

I know the rules say different, but for me when a player is committed to a kick, which requires you to swing your leg back, I think it should be a foul if you put your leg in the way of his leg......stop the ball sure, but stopping the kicking leg, should be a foul for me....because its the start of the committment.

Just my view fwiw.

22 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

Absolutely love seeing a game out with gritty professionalism. Despite all their possession in the last 30, the only clearcut chance they got was that header that went well wide. 

The talk in the media will be the Digne/March penalty shout, but that's of no consequence to us. Very, very good away win. 

There will always be talk, when the Villa win, they do their best to discredit us......The will send their forensic search party out, to any Villa win.....shame they are all on a tea break, when we have an injustices.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Gutted missed this game as on way back from Italy but we won and it sounds like you are all happy so I’m happy too!

We've done all the things we have all been moaning about us not doing when we lose....and showed all the character, required to come back from a stupid,stupid gift.

......and about time too.

great result, and imo some resolute defending.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, El Segundo said:

We pretty much shit-housed our way to victory with time-wasting and tactical fouling (7 yellow cards?) and I have slightly mixed feelings about it.   Obviously great to get the three points and we've probably long needed to be more cunning and clever instead of our usual naivety but that was a bit much for me.  Martinez is going to get two yellows one of these days for his fannying around. I'd rather we could see out a game by keeping the ball and talking it to the corners than just keep giving it back to them and sit deep.

But we were solid, we stopped a very good in-form side from playing for much of the game and created a few good chances ourselves. 

The officials, the linesmen as well as  the ref,  got so many easy decisions wrong today it was quite something even by the usual PL low-bar officiating standards. 

The Kamara booking was a joke - yes he went in high but won the ball, the other player went in just as high but was late, so who has committed a foul there?  These seem to be given all the time these days where the guy who doesn't get the ball gets caught by a follow through and falls to the floor screaming gets given the foul.  It's pathetic.   

I think Digne was lucky to get away with the penalty shout though even though we've had worse ones turned down.

Credit to McGinn, not great on the ball, but he worked harder than anyone to frustrate them last 20 minutes. 

Anyhoo, 5 points off bottom three, only four points off top 6 and three away from a European place, which is a lot better than I expected just a couple of weeks ago.

I wonder if Brentford get as much scrutiny as we have, for their, defensive offering at the Etihad.

That penalty has been laboured beyond belief, the amount, we have had to take on the chin......is a bloody cheek....and the one we had not given for Solly March on Ollie, eloquently exampled by TY Bracey.

I think its quite indignant for so many to be clambouring for this instance, when we have experienced so many against us.

about time we had a bit of luck, with decisions.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, switters said:

Great result ahead of the break. Two very rare things of late: winning away and winning after going behind.

For the non-penalty, yes I'm sure I would have wanted it given for us, but it was also kind of a lunging tackle from March, he's not taking the ball under control diving in like that. Think that's why not given. 

rest assured, we wouldn't  have got it either, if the boot was on the other foot......Man U probably would.

20 hours ago, Philosopher said:

The header should've been on target. You are right it was buendia that assisted the peno. Luiz assisted the second goal. and Ramsey didn't get any assist. I guess I could bump Buendia upto a 7 for the assist. Ramsy still deserves an 8 though.

What Luiz did for the assist, is something I have wanted him to be doing for some time.....I think he is getting better, at getting his foot in,  despite the lapse in concentration, for their goal aided by a sleepy Martinez.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â