Who in your opinion is the GOAT?

leighavfc

Another vote for Ronaldinho. Pure entertainer, it came across as though he was looking to wow everyone in the stadium, and he rarely failed to do so. Is he the only opposition player to receive applause from Real Madrid fans for one of his performances?  

Edited by Tayls

33 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Goat English player, Shearer or Gazza.

I would say the only England player that was nearly always consistent for club and country and has a great trophy cabinet is Ashley Cole

4 hours ago, Tayls said:

Another vote for Ronaldinho. Pure entertainer, it came across as though he was looking to wow everyone in the stadium, and he rarely failed to do so. Is he the only opposition player to receive applause from Real Madrid fans for one of his performances?  

Messi has had applause from Madrid fans too from memory.

In my lifetime the footballer I've seen hit the highest level for technical ability was Ronaldinho. At his absolute peak he was even a shade above Ronaldo and Messi for me. However they've delivered year on year and Ronaldinho only hit that level for about 18 months. 

7 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

In my lifetime the footballer I've seen hit the highest level for technical ability was Ronaldinho. At his absolute peak he was even a shade above Ronaldo and Messi for me. However they've delivered year on year and Ronaldinho only hit that level for about 18 months. 

I think thats the reason Ronaldinho was so popular though he seems like a human with the playing with a smile and party lifestyle etc

Messi and Ronaldo for all the greatness seem cold and almost a bit robotic with very little flaws

• Like 1

Picking one, I'd go for Pele.

It's definitely a generational thing.  And really impossible to compare as the game continues to evolve.  I grew up watching Pele and subsequently Maradona.  In modern times, the best individual performance I've ever seen "in the flesh" was Ibrahimovic (I saw him playing for Sweden in Stockholm).  Just played the game on a different level.  I've never seen Messi live and Ronaldo always underwhelmed me when I watched him live.  Undoubtedly great players and I'd go for Messi over Ronaldo as he plays/acts with good deal more humility. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zatman said:

I think thats the reason Ronaldinho was so popular though he seems like a human with the playing with a smile and party lifestyle etc

Messi and Ronaldo for all the greatness seem cold and almost a bit robotic with very little flaws

He was playing for the sheer fun of it  we all watch football for entertainment you certainly got your money’s worth watching Ronaldinho. A bit like Grealish at Villa you could go to Villa park and watch the Jack Grealish show win lose or draw he’d probably wow you during the match. Not that he’s or was  on the same level of quality to Ronaldinho.

Messi. 

You can't really compare era's but modern day, they play a hell of a lot more football and to constantly do what he's done is unreal really. 

Plus, the goals he has scored are just perfection at times. Gliding past 5 or 6 players before finishing it, it's just a joy to watch. 

Besides the obvious candidates, there is 1 player I'd pay money to have watched alone - Xavi. He was brilliant. 

Of all time, Maradona. He really was a one man team that galvanised and dragged teams to heights they never should have reached.

What he did at Napoli in particular is stuff of legends. In a rough league in an era when stars like him were targeted with tackles that are literally unfathomable in the modern age. 

The 86 world cup needs no comment. 

Of the modern age, Ronaldinho. For 3 or 4 seasons he was as close to unplayable as I've ever seen, and did it all with a smile on his face. Every time he got the ball  you were expecting magic, an absolute joy to watch. 

If you include longevity in it then it’s Messi, with Cristiano a very close second. 

If you take longevity out of it then Ronaldo is in the conversation. As is Ronaldinho. 

Both were comfortably the best player in the world at the time at their peaks

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â