Musk's Twitter Purchase

KentVillan

A key tool is turning off the financial taps. For example, the UK govt could introduce a law (maybe there's an existing one that could be tweaked), that would put social media companies that are vectors for conspiracy bollocks/disinfo etc, on a proscribed list, a bit like sanctions on a particular country. This would mean that UK companies would be fined (or seized, or have their executives put in jail - how draconian do you want to get?) for having any business relationship with companies on the list. Obvs, this would include advertising, their only (main?) source of revenue. Telegram is one that could be more tricky though. Criminal offence to donate to them maybe? Who do they bank with? Sanction the bank? Dunno.

Of course, the UK by itself wouldn't be able to shut these vectors down, but we are looked up to for stuff like this, although god knows why, so if the EU followed suit...

Or maybe the EU could do it first. Or the US.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Anthony said:

A key tool is turning off the financial taps. For example, the UK govt could introduce a law (maybe there's an existing one that could be tweaked), that would put social media companies that are vectors for conspiracy bollocks/disinfo etc, on a proscribed list, a bit like sanctions on a particular country. This would mean that UK companies would be fined (or seized, or have their executives put in jail - how draconian do you want to get?) for having any business relationship with companies on the list. Obvs, this would include advertising, their only (main?) source of revenue. Telegram is one that could be more tricky though. Criminal offence to donate to them maybe? Who do they bank with? Sanction the bank? Dunno.

Of course, the UK by itself wouldn't be able to shut these vectors down, but we are looked up to for stuff like this, although god knows why, so if the EU followed suit...

Or maybe the EU could do it first. Or the US.

Also, people have said Musk will throw legal teams at it. Well sure. But if it's been made a UK law by UK Government, what can he do? I guess argue it's against Human Rights but we've seen ECHR throw out spurious actions without hearing them before which I reckon they'd do here. If a country decides to ban something buy statute through Government I don't see what they can do. 

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

It’s also pointless, everyone will just move to the next messaging platform. 

Which is fine, and then hopefully the standard will rise as the platform will know what happens if they don’t properly moderate the content they’re producing.

Twitter and Facebook have no excuse tbh, they are owned by billionaires who could easily hire enough people to have a much better control over what it puts out. Currently the incentive isn’t there for them to do that.

Will we ever get to the bottom of why Musk spent all those billions buying twitter only to run it so badly and use it to spread right wing  propaganda? Cannot have been acting alone, surely?

Edited by Captain_Townsend

1 minute ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Will we ever get to the bottom of why Musl spent all those billions buying twitter only to run it so badly and use it to spread right wing  propaganda? Cannot have been acting alone, surely?

Cos he has a massive ego and wanted everyone to look up to him. It’s like being a world leader without needing to be elected.

I’d love it to be blocked or muted in some way so it runs at even more of a loss.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

He's actively going after Keir Starmer, and the philosophy of British policing.

It's absolutely bizarre.

Last year he went after the Irish government, he came out against it really strong on an issue that was absolutely none of his business. 

How Elon Musk has courted Ireland's far-right by taking aim at the government's hate speech laws
For those not on his social media site, Musk’s interactions with Ireland’s far-right fringe have probably gone unnoticed.

https://www.thejournal.ie/elon-musk-irish-politics-far-right-anti-immigration-6291534-Feb2024/

raises a question though .. when the football firms were meeting up to fight each other in the 70's and 80;s  ..how the bloody hell did they arrange it  , carrier pigeon ?

• Like 1

Just now, tonyh29 said:

raises a question though .. when the football firms were meeting up to fight each other in the 70's and 80;s  ..how the bloody hell did they arrange it  , carrier pigeon ?

Exchange & Mart

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

He got community noted here:

Then posted it again, with no community note.

He's a very dangerous individual 

6 minutes ago, Dodgyknees said:

He's a very dangerous individual 

Shame on anyone who helps to prop him up by using his products

• Like 4

Who the **** does he think he is picking a fight with one of the most powerful countries in the world and constantly criticising their government and policing? 

Is he mentally disturbed?

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Is he mentally disturbed?

He's another one who seemed relatively reasonable 5 or so years ago, and then just went absolutely rabid. All seemed to start with that time he called the diver a nonce for not wanting to use Musk's submarine

I half suspect in decades to come we'll be looking at Musk, Rowling and Linehan and pointing to an equivalent of lead poisoning.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

He's another one who seemed relatively reasonable 5 or so years ago, and then just went absolutely rabid. All seemed to start with that time he called the diver a nonce for not wanting to use Musk's submarine

I half suspect in decades to come we'll be looking at Musk, Rowling and Linehan and pointing to an equivalent of lead poisoning.

He obviously smokes a lot of dope.  I expect his brain is rotting.

Stick him in one of his own rockets and fire it at the sun. He's a pound shop bond villian. 

I've deactivated my account today, it was long overdue but I can't stand what a hate filled cesspit it is on there now. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mrchnry said:

Stick him in one of his own rockets and fire it at the sun. He's a pound shop bond villian. 

I've deactivated my account today, it was long overdue but I can't stand what a hate filled cesspit it is on there now. 

Deactivated and fully deleted mine around 3 months ago.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â