Musk's Twitter Purchase

KentVillan

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Hmm, maybe

I can see why people do it in China when so much is blocked. With Twitter in the UK I reckon most people would just go and use Threads or something, I think the average user would be baffled by the idea of a vpn, but you might be right

by average you mean old people  don't you :D 

but you raise a fair point , how many people would go out of their way to use X when there is an easily accessible alternative available  

presumably though Threads at some point then becomes a hive of misinformation and then that would have to be shut down and so on and so on ? 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

And look at how effective that is :) 

I bet it has reduced file sharing significantly. Same with anything, some will still find a way around it. 

3 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

presumably though Threads at some point then becomes a hive of misinformation and then that would have to be shut down and so on and so on ? 

I can't see how this could be the case, because otherwise we'd still have access to a wide variety of illicit football streams. 

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

I bet it has reduced file sharing significantly. Same with anything, some will still find a way around it. 

I'd be amazed if this were true tbh, because piracy is an audience that is a bit more engaged to this stuff. TPB had an audience that required them to do some basic reading to figure out what a .torrent is, installing an application to handle them, often a bit of messing around with network config, etc.

Twitter is a much more 'pick up and go' accessible experience, so I think it might be a bit more effective - though as @tonyh29 highlights, it might just end up with social media whackamole.

The best case scenario is probably us working alongside the EU and US who are starting to have these conversations as well so that them simply withdrawing from the UK market isn't an option.

23 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I'm inclined to agree , though i don't think that's the general view in the "other " thread 

But I'm not sure how you target the organizers , you could ban Telegram , which going back a wee while everyone was being encouraged to sign up to as an alternative to WhatsApp after  misinformation spread about Whastapp stealing  your data etc 

targeting the individuals would presumably be the only way , but new account scan spring up by the minute i should imagine  , so very difficult to police  

I'd be against a total ban  , we aren't China 

I find what you wrote extremely objectionable.

It's 'organisers'.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Anthony said:

I find what you wrote extremely objectionable.

It's 'organisers'.

I’m off to have a long hard talk with myself for using American spelling , I’ll be wearing baseball caps backward on my head before I know it 

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Someone somewhere pointed out the other day we haven’t had to ban social media to get football streams and copyrighted music removed.

You mean in terms of removal of those 2 things from social media rather than in general I presume (as there's no end of both things remaining online)? Because those 2 examples are interesting ones.

Copyrighted music, you're probably quite right, because the recording industry is shit hot at flagging takedown notices, and have a massive database of tracks to basically just trawl through testing videos against them, so you do see quite quick copyright strikes on Youtube and presumably similar on Twitter, etc.

Football streams...not so much. They may not be hosted on the social media sites but there's plentiful information about where to find football streams throughout social media for every major competition, it seems to me that it's probably much harder to scour posts looking for details in an arbitrary string of text than it is to test videos for matches against a defined set of audio tracks

• Like 1

If they really wanted to they could actually control the misinformation on twitter and facebook. 

Are we really suggesting that META doesn't have clever enough folks to not spot bogus accounts spewing out misinformation? On reddit in example you won't be allowed to post stuff on your 'new' account in many places. There are plenty of ways to stamp this out.

EU legislation could wipe out twitter from the EU in a matter of days. Hurt these companies in the wallet and it'll rapidly change.

Edited by magnkarl

9 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Someone somewhere pointed out the other day we haven’t had to ban social media to get football streams and copyrighted music removed.

In case anyone is watching , I personally don’t watch football on illegal streams but I know a lot of people that do

BT etc often block IP addresses , the streams go offline for a few mins before they are back , even the Russian one is back despite the global blocking of its services , erm so I’ve been told 

interesting the Sky Super 6 app or website  doesn’t work outside the U.K. , no amount of VPN malarkey gets around it , so it can be done if someone really puts their mind to it 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Chinese owned Tik Tok. That's the only reason. 

Doesn't matter.  it still shows that Government CAN do it is the will is there.

Although I understand the ban hasn't actually happened yet so I guess the space needs watching.

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

interesting the Sky Super 6 app or website  doesn’t work outside the U.K. , no amount of VPN malarkey gets around it , so it can be done if someone really puts their mind to it 

Similarly to Netflix, etc, they will probably just be checking IP addresses against known VPN IP ranges, so it tends to be that you can get around these things with the smaller VPNs that might fly under the radar. Allegedly. But crucially this relies upon checks from the service provider, not the ISP.

This is unlike to factor into it from a blocking social media perspective, because it isn't going to be, e.g., Twitter trying to actively block UK visitors, they'd be perfectly happy for people to circumvent ISP bans.

19 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

That's because the TV companies and Music companies report any abuses to the social media companies and threaten legal action. So the social media companies don't have to do much as they have someone finding the content they need to remove for them. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

You mean in terms of removal of those 2 things from social media rather than in general I presume (as there's no end of both things remaining online)? Because those 2 examples are interesting ones.

Copyrighted music, you're probably quite right, because the recording industry is shit hot at flagging takedown notices, and have a massive database of tracks to basically just trawl through testing videos against them, so you do see quite quick copyright strikes on Youtube and presumably similar on Twitter, etc.

Football streams...not so much. They may not be hosted on the social media sites but there's plentiful information about where to find football streams throughout social media for every major competition, it seems to me that it's probably much harder to scour posts looking for details in an arbitrary string of text than it is to test videos for matches against a defined set of audio tracks

Spotify and other streaming services killed music piracy. Decent pricing, good product, usable on all devices whether it's your phone, car, TV etc, it all works so well. 

Football & TV on the other hand, has only got more expensive, for less content being offered to what you paid for in the past. Sky for example has lost so many sports like Boxing, Champions League but has kept putting the prices up, pushing more and more people away to other 'services'. There's that many options out there now that I don't think they will ever crack it, and the money these people make in offering their illegal streams is that high that they will see it as a risk worth taking. 

• Like 1

Then you have TV shows/movies. There must be at least 5-10 legal streaming services that offer certain TV shows, no one knows where a lot of them are to watch and people certainly don't want to pay £80-100 a month to have all of them to use. 

It's absolute madness that there isn't a one and all subscription available, not that the price that would be would make people stop finding 'other' ways to watch them. 

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Piratebay is blocked pretty much everywhere. It can be done. 

The problem is if Twitter gets blocked Musk will throw millions at lawsuits and I doubt many governments have the time, money or energy to fight it.

It’s also pointless, everyone will just move to the next messaging platform. 

54 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

It’s also pointless, everyone will just move to the next messaging platform. 

The point is once you've made an example of one, the others will realise they've got to do more. 

People may move on to the next platform but the managers are out of a job and the investors have lost their money. That's the motivator. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â