Musk's Twitter Purchase

KentVillan

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

The 2011 riots were not because of Twitter. Ban a message service and people will just use another one to communicate. 

Not to mention, once one has been banned other platforms will realise that their business model becomes unsustainable if they allow hatred to spread and enable persecution to thrive unchecked on their platforms 

Making money out of this cancer is immoral. 

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Scum

ironic that in a world focussing on the spreading of disinformation someone uses a made up story about Nero  , the ultimate  propaganda lie to make his point 

but maybe now isn't the right time for pedantry 

in a double irony , Nero blamed a small religious group for the fire 

Sky had a piece last night and reckoned Telegram is the source of most of the disinformation , it then get amplified via Tik Tok and X 

Tiki Tok could explain the seemingly large numbers of youngster on the streets as its mainly them that use it  

So in order for the banning plan to work , you'd need to ban Telegram , Tik Tok and X  .. guess that might leave us with Donald Trumps social media platform for the Truth  :rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

Surely it's a matter of time before Twitter / X is banned in the UK? 

We’d probably need the clout of the EU to get behind banning it, and then (ironically) follow that decision.

28 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Tiki Tok could explain the seemingly large numbers of youngster on the streets as its mainly them that use it  

It was also being broadcast live by dozens of people in different locations, and over the weekend was one of the first results on the TikTok homepage, there was someone broadcasting the disorder in Nottingham that had 25,000 people watching it live from one of the EDL scrotes.

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It was also being broadcast live by dozens of people in different locations, and over the weekend was one of the first results on the TikTok homepage, there was someone broadcasting the disorder in Nottingham that had 25,000 people watching it live from one of the EDL scrotes.

The pictures of the guy in Sunderland with swastika tattoos, the guy ‘interviewing’ him states he’s live to thousands on Facebook.

The Just Stop Oil convictions were for a meeting on teams.

I'll re-post this here as it's probably more suitable:

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

As I've said before.

1) He/twitter is the worst.  He not only doesn't patrol his platform for this kind of shit.  He ENCOURAGES and actively participates in it.  He's the number 1 target.

2) You've got to draw a line in the sand somewhere.  Freedom of speech is important. Really important.  But when it consistently crosses the line into hatred you have to take action at some time otherwise it will get pushed further and further.  He's been taking the piss and pushing the envelope for ages.

3) Once an example has been made of one platform the others will sit up and take notice.  If they realise their business model cannot continue, they'll have to manage their own platform better and realise they can't let any old shit stay unchecked.

4) Why are people so precious about social media platforms?  If it was a weekly magazine being published organising riots and spreading hate people would be calling for it to be banned.   If it was a specific radio band being used there would be calls for it to me blocked out.  What makes a media platform any different?

5) Is shutting down a social media platform even the removal of freedom of speech?   There are others they can use.  Freedom of speech existed for hundreds of years before the internet was even invented.  are we saying people had no freedom of speech before Tim Berners-Lee got clever?

41 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I think the kids are just bored scrotes looking for a bit of a thrill.  They're likely to turn up if something kicks off but they're far less likely to be the ones organising it in the first place.  Those are the ones to target.  the Tik Tok kids won't be there if there's nothing going on in the first place.

38 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

Surely it's a matter of time before Twitter / X is banned in the UK? 

No chance that happens. Governments haven't been able to regulate the internet since it was invented. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villa89 said:

No chance that happens. Governments haven't been able to regulate the internet since it was invented. 

They can't stop us getting to it if we're determined, but they can delegitimise it, prevent UK organisations from using it, and mandate that UK ISPs have to block traffic to it.

Easily circumvented with a VPN, but 95% of people probably aren't going to do that.

Unlikely though, I grant you.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, villa89 said:

USA have banned Tik Tok 

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

I think the kids are just bored scrotes looking for a bit of a thrill.  They're likely to turn up if something kicks off but they're far less likely to be the ones organising it in the first place.  Those are the ones to target.  the Tik Tok kids won't be there if there's nothing going on in the first place.

I'm inclined to agree , though i don't think that's the general view in the "other " thread 

But I'm not sure how you target the organizers , you could ban Telegram , which going back a wee while everyone was being encouraged to sign up to as an alternative to WhatsApp after  misinformation spread about Whastapp stealing  your data etc 

targeting the individuals would presumably be the only way , but new account scan spring up by the minute i should imagine  , so very difficult to police  

I'd be against a total ban  , we aren't China 

Piratebay is blocked pretty much everywhere. It can be done. 

The problem is if Twitter gets blocked Musk will throw millions at lawsuits and I doubt many governments have the time, money or energy to fight it.

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Easily circumvented with a VPN, but 95% of people probably aren't going to do that.

from my experiences on the metro in Beijing I'd say 95% of the people would be doing exactly that 

Starmer  , or anyone else for that matter isn't going to regulate the internet , it would be political suicide 

1 minute ago, Genie said:

Piratebay is blocked pretty much everywhere. It can be done. 

And look at how effective that is :) 

• Like 1

Just now, tonyh29 said:

from my experiences on the metro in Beijing I'd say 95% of the people would be doing exactly that 

Starmer  , or anyone else for that matter isn't going to regulate the internet , it would be political suicide 

Hmm, maybe

I can see why people do it in China when so much is blocked. With Twitter in the UK I reckon most people would just go and use Threads or something, I think the average user would be baffled by the idea of a vpn, but you might be right

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â