Musk's Twitter Purchase

KentVillan

31 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Michael Burry had called it a year ago. Said it was crazy overvalued 

I think we knew that but it is nice to have it confirmed.

It is still amazing that the adjusted figure on the right on the graphic, still shows that Tesla is worth a substantial proportion of the rest of the sector combined.

I am surprised that Bernard Arnault, who supplies expensive trinkets for the super-rich, who we are meant to hate the rest of the time, garners more approval than Musk.

53 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I think we knew that but it is nice to have it confirmed.

It is still amazing that the adjusted figure on the right on the graphic, still shows that Tesla is worth a substantial proportion of the rest of the sector combined.

I am surprised that Bernard Arnault, who supplies expensive trinkets for the super-rich, who we are meant to hate the rest of the time, garners more approval than Musk.

Musk is more well known, therefore more disliked (and liked) than most, if not all billionaires. He’s a celebrity billionaire and so is viewed differently.

I dare say the majority of the population don’t know who Arnault is or could pick him out of a line up (not totally sure I could). As far as I’m aware he’s not of a “love me, my fan boys” mindset.

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

Michael Burry had called it a year ago. Said it was crazy overvalued 

Tata bought JLR for $2.3b, and Tesla is apparently worth $435b. It’s absolute madness.

When it tanks it’ll tank like a crypto scam, 99% loss in a day.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Genie said:

When it tanks it’ll tank like a crypto scam, 99% loss in a day.

It's already tanking. If you invested £100 in tesla stock a year ago you have £30 now. As their sales figures continue to disappoint and the legacy car manufacturers electric car sales grow Tesla stock will continue its steady fall.

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

It's already tanking. If you invested £100 in tesla stock a year ago you have £30 now. As their sales figures continue to disappoint and the legacy car manufacturers electric car sales grow Tesla stock will continue its steady fall.

Yeah the issue with these meme stocks that excite retail investors is people confuse the question of “is this a real business that produces real things that real people buy and like?” with, “what is a fair value for this stock?”

Even a market leader producing good products can have a wildly inflated stock price, and by any standard metric, Tesla is one of the most inflated stock prices of all time (even after the ~70% collapse).

I think it will keep tanking because nobody has ever explained any coherent rationale for the price, and half the people investing were just following the momentum.

Tesla stock keeps dropping. It seems like it’s going to lose its ‘meme stock’ valuation. 

The company is the market leader in battery production though, and battery storage for households is another part of their business.

Legacy car manufacturers are struggling to manage to scale battery manufacturing the way Tesla has. 

I wonder if the long term outcome is that Tesla becomes a battery company and sells their tech to legacy car manufacturers to do the traditional car side of things?

Edited by LondonLax

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

I wonder if the long term outcome is that Tesla becomes a battery company and sells their tech to legacy car manufacturers to do the traditional car side of things?

I don’t think so. Everybody is progressing down the same road Tesla were on, just slightly behind. They will certainly catch up and offer cars with the same or better range soon. Every car manufacturer has electric cars in their stable now. Everybody is breaking through with longer and longer range batteries.

Some of the legacy manufacturers are investing heavily in Solid State batteries. They are safer (no liquid electrolyte to catch fire), significantly more energy dense and charge significantly faster. 

Tesla have pretty much ignored this and continued to try and further develop lithium batteries. This could be their downfall I think. Lithium can only be improved by increments now as it's a fully mature technology. Solid state is the future and is only in it's infancy now. The very first battery packs have only just been sent to car manufacturers for testing. They will start better than Lithium and get better and better with years of development ahead. 

You can also bet your bottom dollar that The West will try and keep this tech away from China after seeing how they dominate Lithium battery technology. 

2 hours ago, Genie said:

I don’t think so. Everybody is progressing down the same road Tesla were on, just slightly behind. They will certainly catch up and offer cars with the same or better range soon. Every car manufacturer has electric cars in their stable now. Everybody is breaking through with longer and longer range batteries.

I’m not too sure they are.

Volkswagen are probably the closest competitor and their own battery production facility to allow them to manufacture in house is not going to be ready until 2025 at the earliest. 

Tesla (and the current Chinese battery makers) have a massive head start on in-house production.

It would not be surprising if Chinese car companies become the biggest competitors to Tesla while the legacy companies are still trying to play catch up on getting their own production on line. 

2 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I’m not too sure they are.

Volkswagen are probably the closest competitor and their own battery production facility to allow them to manufacture in house is not going to be ready until 2025 at the earliest. 

Tesla (and the current Chinese battery makers) have a massive head start on in-house production.

It would not be surprising if Chinese car companies become the biggest competitors to Tesla while the legacy companies are still trying to play catch up on getting their own production on line. 

Chinese car companies are going to be massive but mainly I think because they'll bring out smaller cheaper electric cars before Legacy manufacturers. 

They'll tie up the lower end of the market the legacy manufacturers have totally ignored in favour of yet more large, expensive SUV's

And once your brand is out there its easier to tempt those buyers into bigger more expensive vehicles down the line.  This is where legacy manufacturers have got it all wrong in my opinion. They've played the short game to earn back development costs and will lose the long game. 

Obviously Tesla will decline but rather more to do with market forces than magical thinking.

It seems unlikely that the government will step in and save it like General Motors.

Musk is just not a cronie of the Democrats, as there are no votes at risk in Texas, where there are in Michigan (GM).

• Like 1

Tesla are valued as they are because of their technology, not their car sales.

They could move into other industries with their battery technology, renewable energy etc. It's all a bit pie in the sky really but they have a lot going for them on paper, it doesn't always turn into hard cash though.

If you haven't seen Glass Onion yet on Netflix, without giving too much away, it's nice to see the whole "Musk is a genius" narrative getting royally skewered like this. The whole film is basically a relentless "**** that word removed Elon Musk" in dramatic form. The Musk character is called Miles Bron, which is an anagram of Elon is Mr B.

It's managed to wind up loads of Musk bootlickers. Love it.

SPOILER ALERT: Don't read this thread if you haven't seen the film and want to watch it.

11 hours ago, KentVillan said:

If you haven't seen Glass Onion yet on Netflix, without giving too much away, it's nice to see the whole "Musk is a genius" narrative getting royally skewered like this. The whole film is basically a relentless "**** that word removed Elon Musk" in dramatic form. The Musk character is called Miles Bron, which is an anagram of Elon is Mr B.

It's managed to wind up loads of Musk bootlickers. Love it.

SPOILER ALERT: Don't read this thread if you haven't seen the film and want to watch it.

Or just never read anything written by Ben Shapiro regardless of spoilers. The guy is an absolute bell end.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Straggler said:

Or just never read anything written by Ben Shapiro regardless of spoilers. The guy is an absolute bell end.

I dunno, there was that time when he intimated that he'd never managed to make his wife aroused. 

I thought that was very funny. 

• Haha 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â