Musk's Twitter Purchase

KentVillan

18 minutes ago, villa89 said:

But why would they pay, everyone already knows what their official account is regardless of whether there's a tick or not. 

More credibility in a sea of paid blue ticks? $12k isn’t much money to the BBC or Kim Kardashian

5 hours ago, magnkarl said:

One of our neighbours got one, what Elon hadn't told them is that the car doesn't have sensors as Elon is going to develop something called Tesla vision which will use the cameras to gage distance and has taken out all radar and sensors in the car. The funny thing is that the Y is so large that there's a blind spot all along the front of the bonnet, meaning that no camera will ever see in example a low brick wall ahead of the car.

Sorry are you saying previous versions of this car had cameras and sensors but the current version of the same car doesn't have any?

Also, can't the owner you mention just use it like a normal car and use their own eyesight and not crash into stuff?

15 hours ago, villa89 said:

Who on earth is going to pay 1K a month?

It's an attempt to monetise twitter, making it the mouthpiece of wealthy organisations, rather than regular folk, who will remain unverified scum. It's basically the opposite of what Twitter was supposed to be. 

Not that I care much, I don't use twitter anyway, so fire away Musk. Beat that cash cow to within an inch of its life.  

25 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Sorry are you saying previous versions of this car had cameras and sensors but the current version of the same car doesn't have any?

Also, can't the owner you mention just use it like a normal car and use their own eyesight and not crash into stuff?

Previous versions had sensors all over the place, new one doesn't. They removed them in October and said they'd do it all via AI using the cameras. The camera behind the rear view mirror doesn't quite cover the front of the car as the bonnet is so large.

And yes, I agree. But you'd expect a car costing £50k to have sensors, or at least Tesla to have their "vision" ready before taking out sensors. I suspect it's due to not having the chips for the sensors tbh.

Edited by magnkarl

I think this talk of Tesla and sensors is over simplifying what’s going on.

Modern cars have a bunch of “ADAS” system (Advanced driver assistance systems) stuff like cruise control, lane keep assist, active emergency braking, self parking all the way up to fully driverless driving. 

In order to deliver these features there’s 2 main ways to do it and both have their own pro’s and cons.

Sensors/Radar or cameras. 

Different manufacturers do things different ways. There’s no obvious right or wrong way as it’s a fast moving technology. 

If Tesla has “removed all its sensors” then it’s probably just refining the way its ADAS features function. They might have learned cameras work better than sensors in some scenarios which is fine.

The customer regularly crashing into things and blaming it on Tesla needs to have their license taken off them…

25 minutes ago, Genie said:

I think this talk of Tesla and sensors is over simplifying what’s going on.

Modern cars have a bunch of “ADAS” system (Advanced driver assistance systems) stuff like cruise control, lane keep assist, active emergency braking, self parking all the way up to fully driverless driving. 

In order to deliver these features there’s 2 main ways to do it and both have their own pro’s and cons.

Sensors/Radar or cameras. 

Different manufacturers do things different ways. There’s no obvious right or wrong way as it’s a fast moving technology. 

If Tesla has “removed all its sensors” then it’s probably just refining the way its ADAS features function. They might have learned cameras work better than sensors in some scenarios which is fine.

The customer regularly crashing into things and blaming it on Tesla needs to have their license taken off them…

The issue here though is that the new Teslas have neither sensors/radar or the promised Tesla Vision capability. I'm sure Tesla Vision is just around the corner but as of now all cars delivered since October lack both.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Genie said:

Classy guy, the inevitable lawsuit will cost him a drop of his ocean so why would he care he’s ruined someone’s life and career.

I doubt he'll have ruined anyone's career. Fired by Musk will be a badge of honour

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, bickster said:

I doubt he'll have ruined anyone's career. Fired by Musk will be a badge of honour

He can call the bank and pay the mortgage with his new badge… :D 

For the purposes of the court case the sacking started a downward spiral in his life which he will possibly never recover from…

Edited by Genie

42 minutes ago, Genie said:

He can call the bank and pay the mortgage with his new badge… :D 

For the purposes of the court case the sacking started a downward spiral in his life which he will possibly never recover from…

Or he could walk into a new job pretty quickly, I doubt any company in Silicon Valley takes being sacked by Musk as anything other than a nothing burger

16 minutes ago, bickster said:

Or he could walk into a new job pretty quickly, I doubt any company in Silicon Valley takes being sacked by Musk as anything other than a nothing burger

Yeah, I agree getting sacked by Musk doesn’t taint you as useless but it does mean you’ve got to go through the hassle of trying to find another job that’s at least equally as good and pay the bills etc. It’s not ideal especially if this he’s an older guy as we know it becomes harder to get good jobs north of 50.

Like the hundreds of Twitter employees I’d be banging him in court for wrongful dismissal and taking him for as much as I possibly could. 

As an aside, at what point does constantly firing people for no legitimate reason become criminal? I think the only thing that might stop him being such a dick is the threat of jail time.

Edited by Genie

I wonder if a sacking by Musk is even a sacking? Is it just something he says?

I used to work in a hotel bar and I was sacked most weekends but just ignored it. Later in life, when I used to drink there, I was banned most weekends but ignored that too.

We would walk in to that bar and on the flip of a coin the welcome was either ‘lovely boys, my lovely boys, first drink is on me’. Or then a different random week it might be ‘you are banned, you are bad people, this is your last drink here and don’t come back, everyone these people are banned’.

That’s what happens when you live too close to roller coasters.

• Haha 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â