Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

Let's face it, for as long as I can remember before Unai we've never had a manager that's tactically above average. Some were around average and many were below average, but none could outsmart the opposition managers with the frequency with which Unai does.

Bang on.

T🔨

I can’t remember any manager of ours that even came close… he is a blessing.

Any decent manager (from my recollection or since the 90s) we had before was more of an effective motivator than a tactician.

Unai is complete.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, MaVilla said:

and so it starts again....

image.thumb.png.f09a7acb296c410bd795de0745000f66.png

This is wonderful to see again...

If you don't mind me pointing it out, maybe you noticed already....the red line at the bottom states 2023/25.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

This is wonderful to see again...

If you don't mind me pointing it out, maybe you noticed already....the red line at the bottom states 2023/25.

good spot, tyvm!

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

If you broke a successful manager’s attributes into the following:

- Tactical Ability;

- Motivator and developer of players;

- Authentic leadership (defined as the ability to lead all stakeholders of the club - including fans - in one unified direction) 

It’s clear that Emery is elite even amongst world class managers on all measures. He’s a triple threat. Give him a contract for life right now. 

We’ve had some decent managers in the past but no one even comes close to Emery.

This is such a well expressed post. It made me think: does he have any meaningful weaknesses as a coach? 

I mean, last season it looked like he was slow to make subs, but I think that might have been a reflection of his limited options rather than a flaw. With a stronger bench on Saturday, he was able to make those changes that ultimately made a difference to the result. 

1 hour ago, DakotaVilla said:

- Tactical Ability;

- Authentic leadership (defined as the ability to lead all stakeholders of the club - including fans - in one unified direction) 

It’s clear that Emery is elite even amongst world class managers on all measures. He’s a triple threat. Give him a contract for life right now. 

We’ve had some decent managers in the past but no one even comes close to Emery.

Yeah, this is a great way of breaking it down.

Smith was example was very good at leadership and motivating but poor with tactics. To use an opposite example, Houllier was very good at tactics but pretty poor with motivating and leadership. Slippy was of course crap at all three.

Emery on the other hand excels at all of them. He doesn't really have any real weaknesses at all.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pinebro said:

I think they were afraid to make too many subs in fear of things going wrong and losing their job 

In fairness none of our previous managers have ever really been in a position to bring three players on of the quality of Maatsen, Ramsey, and Duran.

1 hour ago, DakotaVilla said:

- Tactical Ability;

Sorry to be that guy....

But is it? I think the problem with managers is they all have different skill sets, there's far more than just 3 and even then with those 3 there are then going to be sub categories 

Motivator of players - this is the main one, I would say emery has a skillset that is very particular to clubs like us, like Sevilla, like Villarreal, doesn't necessarily lend itself to arsenal and psg, because he is class he can make those teams better and win things at the likes of PSG, he would win things at Madrid too should that ever happen, but what sets him apart is what he can do with us 

You see poorer managers get "bigger" jobs, poch at Chelsea tuchel at Bayern pick anyone you want at utd and they don't have the skillset to turn those clubs around, I think when you hit the very very top table the players are of a different mentality and not always in a good way, this whole notion that anyone could do what pep can do isn't true I don't think unai could do what pep can do, it's a different skill, look at what bielsa did at Leeds and how he was painted as world class (!) every time the guy stepped up a level he failed because better players didn't buy in yo him, he will never ever get a top table clubs, his style doesn't work

Said many times before him and us are a match made in heaven and he should stay here forever, he can do things here that I don't think he could do anywhere else, we are as good for him as he is for us

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Sorry to be that guy....

But is it? I think the problem with managers is they all have different skill sets, there's far more than just 3 and even then with those 3 there are then going to be sub categories 

Motivator of players - this is the main one, I would say emery has a skillset that is very particular to clubs like us, like Sevilla, like Villarreal, doesn't necessarily lend itself to arsenal and psg, because he is class he can make those teams better and win things at the likes of PSG, he would win things at Madrid too should that ever happen, but what sets him apart is what he can do with us 

You see poorer managers get "bigger" jobs, poch at Chelsea tuchel at Bayern pick anyone you want at utd and they don't have the skillset to turn those clubs around, I think when you hit the very very top table the players are of a different mentality and not always in a good way, this whole notion that anyone could do what pep can do isn't true I don't think unai could do what pep can do, it's a different skill, look at what bielsa did at Leeds and how he was painted as world class (!) every time the guy stepped up a level he failed because better players didn't buy in yo him, he will never ever get a top table clubs, his style doesn't work

Said many times before him and us are a match made in heaven and he should stay here forever, he can do things here that I don't think he could do anywhere else, we are as good for him as he is for us

It's the difference between starting at a lesser club and making them better versus going to an already elite club and trying to kick on.

Everything takes time and the one thing that modern football is less and less about is time.  I actually think Arsenal learnt their lesson with Emery and decided to stick with Arteta when it looked for all the world as if he'd be sacked - now they're reaping the rewards (to some extent).  The difference with us is that a] Emery replaced Gerrard which is so easy to do (:D) and b] the improvement has been far quicker than anyone could have imagined.

IF we developed into a "massive club" (I know, I know, we already are) under Emery and he stayed here, I don't think he'd have a problem with the players et al because they'd be his.  Everything is geared around him and, as he's been burnt elsewhere before, I actually don't think he'd want to move on unless pushed.  Pretty unreal for us, really, and quite similar with Martinez from a playing standpoint.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Weird video to be honest. Appears to be about Emery but is instead 6 minutes of discussion about West Ham

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â