Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 30/05/2023 at 09:04, allani said:

Even if we had finished 12th I would have hoped that we stuck to the style of football Emery wants us to play.  It was important to find out which players could adjust to that style.  Personally, given how awful we were at passing the ball 5-10 metres under the previous regime I was worried that it would be too big a jump for many of our players.  Most have actually adjusted pretty well (most of the time).  At least we (and Emery) have a much better idea of who will / will not fit the system - rather than adopting any old style to survive the season and then reset over the summer.

Was the games we lost to Leicester and I think Arsenal in same week. Other managers would have went long ball defensive style next game to keep it tight

• Like 3

I sometimes wonder what would happen if Emery just suddenly started losing matches. It seems like the last thing on earth that would happen, but it's not beyond the realm of possibility, surely. Sir Alex in 89-90 comes to mind as a manager who brought euphoria to Man United one season and then -- collapse. He was probably almost sacked. Emery seems like a manager who almost can do no wrong, and long may that continue, but it feels really vulnerable and fragile to have so many hopes bundled up with one fallible human being. Don't mean to be negative. Just some random thoughts. 

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Confused 1

Just now, Marka Ragnos said:

I sometimes wonder what would happen if Emery just suddenly started losing matches. It seems like the last thing on earth that would happen, but it's not beyond the realm of possibility, surely. Sir Alex in 89-90 comes to mind as a manager who brought euphoria to Man United one season and then -- collapse. He was probably almost sacked. Emery seems like a manager who almost can do no wrong, and long may that continue, but it feels really vulnerable and fragile to have so many hopes bundled up with one fallible human being. Don't mean to be negative. Just some random thoughts. 

Why would you wonder that? Its almost like thinking of a negative scenario to create an argument

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Marka Ragnos said:

I cant speak for anyone else but emery would still get my backing. Im confident emery is going to be the manager who delivers a trophy to us.

We have to stick with him and be behind him

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Oh, make no mistake, a bad streak WILL come. That's football, even with a world class manager. We have to keep the faith. 

Yes agreed.  Every manager has a bad period.  It’s how we react to that over the medium term which is important. And I’m sure Emery will get it back in track sooner rather than later. 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Oh, make no mistake, a bad streak WILL come. That's football, even with a world class manager. We have to keep the faith. 

It will but I think we will get out of it quicker than we have done previously.  SG had no plan and no idea what to do when his non-plan didn't work so if / when we hit a bad streak the only way out of it was through luck.  My issue with Dean (partly him, partly down to the players available to him) was that he didn't have a Plan B or a Plan C.  Sometimes Plan A would be perfect but when it wasn't we tended to have long runs of poor results.  So we were either very hot or very cold under him - there were very few runs of matches where our results were just meh.  Emery has already shown that if Plan A isn't working (or is working from an attacking perspective but not from a defensive perspective) then he can identify what is going wrong and change it.  Brighton being a good example.  The more trust he and the players have with each other (and the more options we have on the bench) the better able he will be to try and make adjustments.  Of course there is no guarantee that Plan A, Plan B or Plan C will work - but by being able and willing to make tweaks to the plan I don't think our bad streaks will be anywhere near as long as they have been in the past.  What I like about him is that he isn't set on Plan A but also that Plan B and Plan C aren't just "pump the ball up field" or "play all the strikers".  We will have a bad streak / bad streaks because every (well most) team has bad streaks.  But I am more confident of us playing our way out of a bad streak than I have been for ... actually I can't even think of when I was last confident of playing our way back into form quickly.

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

Yes agreed.  Every manager has a bad period.  It’s how we react to that over the medium term which is important. And I’m sure Emery will get it back in track sooner rather than later. 

Maybe the Leicester, Arsenal, City thing was an example of how our bad streaks will be moving forwards.  Three or four poor results / matches, properly analysing what we've done wrong, what we need to do better, being able to explain that to the players, having the players listen and then implementing the changes required to turn things around.

Edited by allani

I love that he has us competitive against the so-called big clubs.

Under the previous manager, we managed just 2 points against the traditional top 6 from 11 matches.

Under Unai, we picked up 13 points from 9 games. 16 from 10 if we include Newcastle. Nearly 800% increase in points return if my math serves.

We're a daunting proposition for pretty much every team, and though we might not win every game, we give it a really good go. That's all we can ask.

• Like 2

Unlike gerrard who had no idea what he was doing so we knew the bad patch was mainly because  of him. Unai knows what he is doing so even if we hit a purple patch im extremely confident he can turn it around 

This is what elite looks like

56 minutes ago, Newry_Villan said:

We can't turn on Unai at the first sign of a bad run. 

But he's not won a game since Sunday. Not yet cabbage worthy but the Brussels sprout is at hand.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Unlike gerrard who had no idea what he was doing so we knew the bad patch was mainly because  of him. Unai knows what he is doing so even if we hit a purple patch im extremely confident he can turn it around 

This is what elite looks like

Exactly us losing will not be through lack of trying.

As fans it's all you can ask for that the team gives its all and looks like it knows what it's doing.

Mistakes can happen being unlucky can happen but lack of effort cannot.

We know Unai will never let us down or his players.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â