Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 13k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Dunno how I can explain it any more clearly

Why does he need to talk about specific signings though? He probably has in parts anyway during various press conferences. But at the moment, things are still being figured out, they are focussed on the games and getting fitness and all that jazz. 

3 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Is it 'normal' to not have had any conferences with Emery to talk about each of our new signings?

Not saying it's a good thing or a bad thing as I'm sure if it was normal procedure then it hasn't happened for a very good Emery reason.

I think we usually get a pre season interview. Will probably get something when they are back home. I can’t remember the manager  doing an interview after each individual signing.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mantis said:

Just thought I'd bump this to say that he's been here almost 2 years and he's basically had near universal approval the entire time. Not one single period even approaching any kind of remotely significant fan unrest. I think we've all forgotten how unusual that is, not just at Villa but at any club full stop.

This is exactly why if and when there are some iffy results etc the fanbase must trust the method. 

I think Emery is looking at making the team and squad more flexible as at times last season we got swamped and pressed to our disadvantage.

Last season Emery should have been Manager of the season, what he has done at Villa is remarkable and at a fraction of the Man S****y squad.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Mantis said:

Just thought I'd bump this to say that he's been here almost 2 years and he's basically had near universal approval the entire time. Not one single period even approaching any kind of remotely significant fan unrest. I think we've all forgotten how unusual that is, not just at Villa but at any club full stop.

It's true, but he's also overseen a meteoric rise - that's the thing that's mostly unusual.

As I've said elsewhere, I sort of fear us finishing 7th (which is still a really good season!) and some fans... maybe not turning on him, but being disappointed etc.

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

It's true, but he's also overseen a meteoric rise - that's the thing that's mostly unusual.

As I've said elsewhere, I sort of fear us finishing 7th (which is still a really good season!) and some fans... maybe not turning on him, but being disappointed etc.

That's true but, but even managers who have overseen similar rises have had rough patches. It's a testament to Unai's skill that he's managed to keep us so consistent overall. I mean, it's not as if we didn't have bad games and bad results last season - there were quite a few in fact - but they were spread out and he never allowed a rot to set in.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Top 4 was almost a miracle tbh, we have a good squad, but it definitely wasnt a top 4 squad if everything is even, granted its never "all things even", but i think Emery squeezed every possible ounce of performance out of the squad to get that top 4 spot, he had the squad operating a few levels above its general ability tbh, while other clubs faltered a bit around us.

With that in mind, its highly likely that we might improve our squad, and still not finish as high as we did last year, i do hope that with buying a good chunk of young, high potential players, which we seem to be trying to do this summer, we are building and developing with a medium/long term plan, where we can sustain the overall improvements and hopefully maintain the improvement over the long term, and nor drop off like say......Leicester.

Anyway, my point is, i hope that we dont hold his feet to the fire if we dont do quite as well as last season, to do so would probably be 2 miracles in 2 seasons, ofc i would be happy if we did get top 4 again, but i also hope we arent going to turn on him if we "only get top 5, 6 or 7", or something.

This, exactly. Smaller squad than 80% of the top 8, with [respectfully] less venerated players, suffered injuries to 4 first 11 players. This, whilst achieving a semi final in a European competition (Thursday/Sunday game day cycle).

Its astonishing and also demonstrates his ability to manage energy over a season.

We have to trust Unai and the staff so much. Fans don’t know as much as they like to think.

Take the US pre season tour. We’re all hand wringing and worrying about the style of play. For all we know, they’ve looked at the Summer Series last year and seen two of our standout performers fall to ACL injuries and adjusted the intensity way down.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â