Unai Emery

PeterSw

That article's slightly misleading. He said that those clubs were the next step of his career in Spain, which is probably the reason he moved back to the Premier League - to continue his development as a manager.

• Like 2

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, blandy said:

I agree they are important, but for me, as I said they are not the key things. In terms of top flight football they will make a difference if they are absent in one side in a game, as will stuff like jitters about a ‘keeper. But the thing is that every side’s players, by dint of the fact they’ve reached premier league level, has fight and desire within them as individuals and as a team. The bottom side can beat the top side (or draw 3-3 away to them, as happened last week). Much much more influential on the outcomes of games are things which Emery brings in abundance to all the sides he’s managed, pretty much and that’s the tactical side of things, the little details as well as the “system”. It’s how to react and how to counter opponents moves and strategies, it’s about players being in the right positions to do the things that need to be done at any point in the game.

Football at the top level has changed massively and coaching, which Emery, Guardiola, Klopp and the rest are experts at is far more of a factor in determining outcomes than it used to be. In some ways “fight” is counterproductive, by that I mean if you take a struggling side they are usually absolutely desperate and full of fight to beat the drop, but put them up a more relaxed higher side, more in control of their plan, more confident in their manager and team mates and the fight and desire counts for much less than the tactical superiority and feel good factor of the opponents. That’s what I see Emery as having brought to Villa. For example Olly Watkins has always put in a hard shift, fought for the ball chase lost causes, shown the requisite desire, but Emery and his staff have improved him through focusing on doing some of that less, instead concentrating on tactically being where he needs to be to pose the bigger threat to the oppo.

I don't see it quite the same as you Pete.....But I do agree with the elements you bang the drum for.

It seems from my interpretation of what you are saying, you are islolating elements like " Fight and desire" and judging them on their own.....its like judging Ringo and George without Lennon and McCartney.

Yes, Ollie is having more success, playing in the middle and that has been a technical shift, but he still needs "Fight and desire" in his new role.....without it he will be rendered passive, and the goals will dry up.

I agree such elements without the other essential ingredients you mention are questionable.....but success in football, requires a compendium of minerals to work successfully.....its like analysing the body and saying what is the key organs, they all are.

I know from the past, your view has rarely been partisan towards the intangible elements as we are discussing, but they are key, along with the ones you readily support.....fortunately for me, UE has got it back for us.

I guess, we agree to partially disagree.

Edited by TRO

17 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I dont want to upload it as i keep getting warnings for not uploading things correctly so im not uploading thinks anymore but it was from some barce page.

Hopefully its BS

maybe wishful thinking on their behalf.

35 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Source?

He did an interview this week with AS, a Spanish Sports newspaper.  

The specific quote is from here.  I'm guessing the interview was conducted in Spanish but there's an English translation on As.com so if they are happy to publish then I'm happy to accept it: 

AS: Can you understand why people were outraged that you left Villarreal, the Champions League semi-finalists, for Aston Villa, and Álex Moreno left Betis to join you in the January window?

UE: It’s really quite natural. All of us need to go in search of challenges at some time or another. I have been fortunate enough to have been at three top level clubs in Spain: Valencia, Sevilla and Villarreal. Obviously, I am very grateful for that, but then the next step in Spain would be to coach Atlético, Madrid or Barça… But breaking through that barrier comes with a lot of difficulties. The Premier League has given me the chance to continue growing. Of course, Sevilla, Villarreal and Valencia did that too, but here, I am confronted with new difficulties. And let’s not forget that the Premier League attracts the highest number of investors, the best managers and players in the world

The interview is well worth reading.  It's clear that Villa aren't as known to a Spanish audience as other clubs, I get the impression we are one of those sides that a lot of people have heard of but not many have really dug deeper recently.  

There's a throwaway line about coaching too which was interesting. I didn't know that Emery had come up under John Toshack. That's not a bad influence have at all, is it? 

Edited by The_Rev
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, bose said:

They are crucial but incredibly basic things in todays game. The other things like tactical understanding, man management, planning, knowing when to change things etc are much more important because you won’t win a match in the premier league today with just more aggression, passion or desire. It’s why the likes of Gerrard and Lampard are horrific managers in todays game, they might have worked in the 80s but the world and the game has moved on.

I have never suggested "Aggression, desire, passion or desire, can wins games on their own. I am countering the point, that success can be achieved with out them.

i think the suggestion they can be seperated is folly.....I also think that to suggest tactical understanding of the game( if you are) is something new is also folly......are you suggesting that progressive managers over the years, were not creating new ways to steal a march on the opposition? read your history on Football....its littered with managers who were deep thinkers of the game...and the managers today are not oblivious to their teachings.

Many managers of the past like Rinus Michels, Vic Buckingham, Johan Cryff etc were tactical masters in their day......sure the game has changed, it always did, since its conception....The modern Managers like Pep, Jurgen and Unai, have learnt from these pioneers to formulate their own interpretations.....its progression.

Whilst the game has changed in so many ways, some things that the game relies on are still the same, and always will be....It might be worth remembering that.

Edited by TRO

I think there will be a lot of traps set from the gaslighting press towards Aston Villa, in forthcoming UE interviews.

They are all mardy, we are doing so well, and the shift is stark and pretty obvious whats made it that way.

The disrespect and downright cheek, suggesting other clubs come in for him, is probably what we should expect....thankfully we have tough, resourceful owners, with ambitions of our own, who will possibly remind those predators of how our valued manager, was treated in the past.

23 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

The specific quote is from here.  I'm guessing the interview was conducted in Spanish but there's an English translation on As.com so if they are happy to publish then I'm happy to accept it: 

The interview is well worth reading.  It's clear that Villa aren't as known to a Spanish audience as other clubs, I get the impression we are one of those sides that a lot of people have heard of but not many have really dug deeper recently.  

There's a throwaway line about coaching too which was interesting. I didn't know that Emery had come up under John Toshack. That's not a bad influence have at all, is it? 

Aston Villa are a Spanish sounding name in terms of " Villa "....so my understanding is, they are quite well known in the hispanic community as a whole

However................We have been unsuccessful in Europe since Rotterdam, so the younger generation, Spanish supporters, disregard us, as obsolete.

We now have the shoots of recover, and under UE the task is, to re-invent ourselves.....That won't be a quick job, but consistency will help to build it.

He doesn't strike me as a bloke in a hurry - I think he sees Villa as part of his learning curve toward the likes of Real - if he's consistently good enough they will come in for him more than once. 

4 minutes ago, Jareth said:

He doesn't strike me as a bloke in a hurry - I think he sees Villa as part of his learning curve toward the likes of Real - if he's consistently good enough they will come in for him more than once. 

By which point we will be in a considerably better position than we were when he took over.  We might even have a few Europa League's in the trophy cabinet by then 😉

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

His book El Maestro is well worth reading to

20 hours ago, bose said:

They are crucial but incredibly basic things in todays game. The other things like tactical understanding, man management, planning, knowing when to change things etc are much more important because you won’t win a match in the premier league today with just more aggression, passion or desire. It’s why the likes of Gerrard and Lampard are horrific managers in todays game, they might have worked in the 80s but the world and the game has moved on.

•                   Hard work will always overcome natural talent, when natural talent doesn't work hard enough.....Alex Ferguson quote.
  •                 There are teams that wait for you and teams that look for you- Espanyol look for you...I feel very close to their style of football.......Pep Guardiola
  •                  If you train badly, you play badly..If you work like a beast in training, you play the same way....Pep Guardiola.

Edited by TRO

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

That's almost the opposite of what I'm trying to say, which is that all teams and players have fight and desire and that the thing that makes the difference in modern football is managerial nouse around tactics, coaching (individual and collective), the ability to adapt to the opponent's strengths and weaknesses and in game changes and so on. And that in the premier league, given the baseline qualities of the various players and squads the notion that "fight and desire" is the biggest, most important, key thing is not one I agree with at all. My perception is that the reason Emery has done so well is because he has the analytical and tactical qualities and experience which, ahem, certain other managers do not possess. Emery has been successful across multiple clubs because of his skills. The same applies to Guardiola, Klopp and so on.

I fear you may be wasting your time.

• Like 4

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â