Unai Emery

PeterSw

8 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Just saw a stat on Neils podcast.

Apparently he has the most wins of any Arsenal Manager in their first 50 games ( 32 ).

His time at Arsenal is very underrated made out to be a flop when he really wasn’t.

• Like 1

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching Spurs today and seeing how bad they were and then United, Liverpool and Chelsea the other day I do wonder when we’ll see another season with the Sky 6 looking so out of sorts.  Newcastle really picked the perfect full season to be taken over by mega rich owners. 

If only Emery started just a bit sooner. Who knows hey?

14 hours ago, MaVilla said:

i could be wrong with some of the exact details, but i think Emery finished 5th in his first full season with Arsenal, as well as getting them to a Europa Cup Final, he was sacked the next season after a poor run, i think it was 7 games without a win (inc. in Europe).

Ironically, Arteta who replaced him, didnt beat Emery's 5th place finish for 4 full seasons (i think Arteta bettered it in his 4th season?), so basically, Arteta was given time to completely rebuild Arsenals squad etc, but it took him 4 years to better what Emery did with that initial squad.

Speaks volumes for me, Emery did better with what he had than he could have reasonably been expected to!

Not quite, when Arteta took over half way through the season he was able to win the FA Cup but the season after with Covid they struggled. Last season they came 5th and this season looks like they may win the league. 

I think a lot of the complaints are because he signed a lot of players and some of these were the ones Arteta had to get rid of.

Regardless he clearly wasn’t given a chance to do full rebuild like Arteta was. A lot of Arsenal fans still rate him to be fair and appreciate how tough the job was for him.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Not quite, when Arteta took over half way through the season he was able to win the FA Cup but the season after with Covid they struggled. Last season they came 5th and this season looks like they may win the league. 

I think a lot of the complaints are because he signed a lot of players and some of these were the ones Arteta had to get rid of.

Regardless he clearly wasn’t given a chance to do full rebuild like Arteta was. A lot of Arsenal fans still rate him to be fair and appreciate how tough the job was for him.

interesting, thanks.

We will never know, but it would be interesting to know if they were Emery signings, for example, im sure i read somewhere that Emery wanted Zaha but they bought Pepe, so it seems, if true, that the sporting Dir bought some players Emery didnt really want, we will never know suppose.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Next two games are against the team with the worst home record and the one with the worst away record. Lets hope unai can exorcise our demons as these are they kind of opportunities we **** up.

I feel he has already gone someway to exercising those demons imo.

I legit expected us to toss up the opportunity against Chelsea, we didn't.

Unai Dracule has come from the underworld to slay these demons like only one of their own can!

I always know anything can happen, but I go into games much more confident than I did once would.

We have players in form who are getting better every game as a unit as well.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

interesting, thanks.

We will never know, but it would be interesting to know if they were Emery signings, for example, im sure i read somewhere that Emery wanted Zaha but they bought Pepe, so it seems, if true, that the sporting Dir bought some players Emery didnt really want, we will never know suppose.

Fair point. I’ve read similar and that’s coming from Arsenal fans. Thing is managers are always judged on signings either way.  I guess he just wasn’t the right fit there. He was destined to manage us :)  

On a side note Martinez was instrumental in them winning the FA cup under Arteta and that was only because Leno got injured. So you could argue Arteta got a bit lucky with that one.

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Fair point. I’ve read similar and that’s coming from Arsenal fans. Thing is managers are always judged on signings either way.  I guess he just wasn’t the right fit there. He was destined to manage us :)  

On a side note Martinez was instrumental in them winning the FA cup under Arteta and that was only because Leno got injured. So you could argue Arteta got a bit lucky with that one.

I think a positive which a few have noted, is that he will have learned from his Arsenal experiences as well as his roles after that.

So I'm sure the version of Unai we have received, is an even better version of him ( This probably goes for players indentification and calculating risk Vs attributes, team necessity and league etc )

We've possibly recieved the best version, even though he actually did more than oi at Arsenal.

• Like 1

Did Emery say early on after joining us something along the lines of having learned from his time at Arsenal about what went wrong, and knows what needs to be done differently this time? Or did I make that up… 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Did Emery say early on after joining us something along the lines of having learned from his time at Arsenal about what went wrong, and knows what needs to be done differently this time? Or did I make that up… 

I vaguely remember something along those lines

Edited by duke313

13 minutes ago, Tayls said:

I was just thinking this after reading through the last few pages. Emery is student of football wisdom and knowledge, a continuous improver who never rests. He will have learned so much since he left Arsenal, without a doubt. This version is much more capable than the one they had, and the one they had was good.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

I was just thinking this after reading through the last few pages. Emery is student of football wisdom and knowledge, a continuous improver who never rests. He will have learned so much since he left Arsenal, without a doubt. This version is much more capable than the one they had, and the one they had was good.

Spot on. I keep reminding myself he's younger than Deano, who I would 100% expect to still be learning if he were still here.

Depressingly, both are younger than me...

• Like 1

For the first time in ages I felt we could actually take advantage of being one more on the pitch, and how we did it, it was like Ice Hockey-style power play the last 15 mins, possession was something like 15-85.

This says so much about how we have progressed under Emery and how we have implemented a propoer possession based playing style.

It's actually a bit similar to the total football that Ajax or AC Milan played in the 90's.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â