Unai Emery

PeterSw

1 minute ago, Laughable Chimp said:

We've also played 4 of the bottom 6 in his first 10 league games. Lets not try and pretend like he's had a heavily unbalanced fixture list here. If you averaged the current positions of all the teams we've faced with him, its 9.6. Pretty much bang on in the middle.

We have played 3 of the bottom 6. We have taken 9 points from the top 8 teams and 7 from the 4 bottom half team

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah the Leicester game is the one where we shot ourselves in the foot and that was a lot down to individual errors.  We shouldn't have had a prayer against City with the team we had to put out but at least learnt that Coutinho isn't a completely busted flush.  Yesterday was a great game of football we came so close to getting something out of bar a spawny goal.  Between now and the end of the season it's about Emery learning as much as possible about the squad before we revamp in the summer.  We will still need a lot of these players judging by how difficult it seems for us to get our first choices through the door.

• Like 1

Just now, Tayls said:

Everton are really really tight now. We will struggle to penetrate through them [kenneth]. I wouldn’t be surprised if they grab a goal very late on via a set piece (queue goal from Dwight McNeil). Will be very worrying then..

Agree, but I think we have the tools [kenneth] and tactical nous to be too much for them. 

4 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

You think Jhon is almost ready for a start? I think I do. That said he was blowing a bit even after his cameo, so maybe we need to build his fitness a bit.

He’s actually been very good at showing for possession and he keeps it simple.

However after yesterday and the blowing you mentioned I was wrong thinking we should start him. Though against Everton I’d be tempted to give him the first half to roughen them up. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

However after yesterday and the blowing you mentioned I was wrong thinking we should start him. Though against Everton I’d be tempted to give him the first half to roughen them up. 

Yeah, he's not ready to start.

Stinks of a rash early red card getting excited.

He's played really well so far. Needs to be on the pitch not shitting himself for a while first. That's why he got so tired I think, mad adrenaline.

• Like 3

Just now, Sulberto21 said:

Exactly. I don't think he’ll last a full game yet, but it's not like bringing on an impact sub with pace against tired legs. His main attributes seem to be strength, and hold up play. In that sense he might be better played at the start of the game, while our own runners have energy and can play off him. Either way, after seeing him play I think he can make a contribution this season, as well as going forward.

I really don't know how the players are going to react to emery's post match comments. He heavily criticised Martinez, a big influence in the dressing room, and accused the players of not listening and trying hard enough in the match. This may cause a few of them to turn on him, which is always a bad sign. I hope his relationship with the players isn't badly affected, as a manager needs his senior pros on side if he has any hope of being successful here. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Nah he ain’t fit enough yet. Cameos still best.

Sorry I should have been clear, didn't mean a full game, I meant making his cameo early doors rather than later.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Made In Aston said:

I really don't know how the players are going to react to emery's post match comments. He heavily criticised Martinez, a big influence in the dressing room, and accused the players of not listening and trying hard enough in the match. This may cause a few of them to turn on him, which is always a bad sign. I hope his relationship with the players isn't badly affected, as a manager needs his senior pros on side if he has any hope of being successful here. 

This was my thought. Not that they didn't deserve it, but that it could make the rest of the season a tricky affair. 

Then they'll all be sold.

Honestly there are not many of the current crop I'd be devestated to replace. I'd be far more upset if UE were replaced.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

That said he was blowing a bit even after his cameo, so maybe we need to build his fitness a bit.

I noticed this as well mate!

It made me realise that this is why he probably he has to be slowly integrated.

I'm guessing there is " fit " and then there is PREMIER LEAGUE fit.

After one of the sweeping moves he looked shot.

He is an all action player so it will take him time to be able to offer what he wants to over a longer period of time in the LEague.

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I noticed this as well mate!

It made me realise that this is why he probably he has to be slowly integrated.

I'm guessing there is " fit " and then there is PREMIER LEAGUE fit.

After one of the sweeping moves he looked shot.

He is an all action player so it will take him time to be able to offer what he wants to over a longer period of time in the LEague.

Exactly. It's taken Moreno a month to get there and he came from Spain, a top tier league. Jhon will get there though, I'm sure. An astute bit of business he could turn out to be.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Everton are really really tight now. We will struggle to penetrate through them [kenneth]. I wouldn’t be surprised if they grab a goal very late on via a set piece (queue goal from Dwight McNeil). Will be very worrying then..

Worrying in what way?

You don't mean going down? :lol:

50/1 if you want to soften the blow? Well worth a tenner if you think there's even a 10% chance!

Some other things that are currently 50/1 or worse...

• 40/1 - Villa to finish above Newcastle
  • 50/1 - Bournemouth to finish above Fulham
  • 50/1 - The Rock to be the next James Bond
  • 50/1 Theresa May to be the next PM

We have had 3 bad results in a row against 3 sides that in recent years have consistently finished above us.

The next 4 league games see us play games against teams we'd expect to take more points off and I think if we can get somewhere between 7 and 9 points from them games then we've done OK.

This is obviously a long term project and I hope we'll see some key changes in the summer - primarily a new centre back, right back and a winger/striker.

Personally I'm fully supportive of the manager and what he is trying to achieve.

Edited by Brumstopdogs
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

The only way we are going to progress is by being honest about things and Emery having some short term conflict with players needs to happen. Emery needs to know who is reliable and who isn't. There are no short cuts towards becoming a good team and creating an enduring and positive culture. We are in the short term pain for long term gain mode (again 🤣) but this time it feels like we have somebody who knows what the problem is and can cure it!

Edited by Villa_Vids
  • Like 1

Â