Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting that he makes the point that we score an early goal and then appear to  hope that the rest of the 90 minutes passes quickly without anything else happening. I've felt that for a long time and it's often why we just cannot capitalise on going ahead.

• Like 2

Can't disagree with anything he says there. Shows the standards of the guy (and not in a showy Gerrard way) that he could easily have blagged it and said we were right in the game and the piece of fortune they got for the 3rd goal was the difference but he knows what he wants from the team and they aren't giving it.

• Like 3

Just now, Villa_Vids said:

Yes. We do if we are not leading already that is. We will score the first goal then revert back to sitting deep and countering, all the while giving Arsenal more time on the ball and getting into our box to score at will. FFS.

Agreed buts that’s down to the mentality of some of our players. We saw it under Smith and Gerrard, The difference is that Emery has only been able to bring in one of his own players (2 if you include Durán who the club had been watching for sometime)

Emery will get it right. 

10 minutes ago, av1 said:

We are playing some lovely stuff at times. I’ve absolutely no doubt we are going to be a real force under Emery. 

For the bad, there’s moments of real quality with some limited players. He’s only been here for 4 months. 

29 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Interesting that he makes the point that we score an early goal and then appear to  hope that the rest of the 90 minutes passes quickly without anything else happening. I've felt that for a long time and it's often why we just cannot capitalise on going ahead.

Totally agreed. Some of current players have the small time mentality,  When we take a lead against big team it’s like wow we did well already , over the moon . There’s no desire or the mentality to go for the kill.

1 hour ago, Brumstopdogs said:

I think he's a little bit harsh on himself and the team, but he also makes me realise there are levels he expects of us that we need to achieve to make the next step. We're so much better off for having him in charge, and I'm enjoying the ride so far. I only wish we'd got him sooner!

4 minutes ago, Rolta said:

I think he's a little bit harsh on himself and the team, but he also makes me realise there are levels he expects of us that we need to achieve to make the next step. We're so much better off for having him in charge, and I'm enjoying the ride so far. I only wish we'd got him sooner!

He’s a winner, winners don’t like losing and rightly so as well. Personally love the fact he come out and said this. Would have been easy to put gloss on it but at the end of the day we lost after being ahead at home with 30 minutes to go. 

Edited by WHY
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Remarkably incisive interview: identifies the precise problem with the performance. If this man is backed in to shape this team, he will create something v v impressive.

If I was one of our current players, I would be bricking it. 

Great isn’t it. We’ve had to many mugs in charge over the years. This bloke isn’t one of them. 

• Like 1

brilliant interview tbh.

Talks about how we arent playing how he is asking, the interviewer asks if the second goal is how he wants villa to play, the he says something like.....

" (pulls a face as if to say....hell no) its a goal, a goal in transition, but we arent controlling the ball, we cant play 90mins in transition, they could have scored more from poor defending, poor ball control, poor turnovers, we score a goal and then act as if we wait for the game to end, trying to play transition, i dont want to build a team that only plays in transition, we can work in transition sometimes, but we need to control the ball.....etc etc etc".

Honestly, a lot of these players are doing the same as what they have done before, up their performances a bit, get the monkey off their back, then revery back to not playing the style they are asked, or reverting to fast pace running around like headless chickens and not implementing a game plan, we have seen it over and over, i can see a fair few of this squads players being ejected quickly this summer.

I get the impression Emery is a manager who just wont stand for it, its his way or the highway, and as he has the complete backing of the owners, and from what i have seen, also the fans, the players are the ones who will suffer, not Emery, at least for now.

• Like 2

Â