Unai Emery

PeterSw

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

I like how flexible we are tactically based on game state. For Spurs it was keep them out and quiet the crowd. They have 3 forwards and two wong backs. Our wide Midfielders were prioritizing defence and we ended up with a back 6 often. With our two quick forwards as a counter attacking out ball. 

Halftime it's 0-0 and job done so far. Then in second half we get a goal and the game state has changed, then we know there will be even more space for attacks as they need to score now. Once we get the second we move to close up and go ultra defensive making changes.

It was different against Liverpool (and I suspect other teams) where when we are a goal behind we played a high defensive line and mid block this is to try win the ball back higher up the pitch to create more goal scoring chances. The plan for the Liverpool game changed very early on that game as we went behind and the game state was different.

Emery is a proactive coach. He will act when he feels that it is the best thing to do to achieve a result. Players are given detail about the roles they're asked to do and those can change mid game depending on game state 

Game state analysis is fascinating.

Will be the next major evolution in statistics coupled with xG imo

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Have a feeling he’s going to stick with Olsen for a while.

He may feel it’s important to send a message that if someone does well they keep their place, he may also want to knock Emi down a peg or two to stop him from inflating his ego too far.

Its possible there is some hang over from the previous time Emi and he works together at Arsenal too, perhaps.

I dunno, could all be wide of the mark of course but the name checking during the post-match comments and some of the subsequent club social media stuff also highlighting Olsen makes me think he’s gonna be between the posts tomorrow night.

Will be interesting to see how this pans out over the coming weeks.

Nah, I can't agree. Olsen might get the Wolves game, and he'll play against Stevenage, but Emi will be back in after the FA Cup at the latest

19 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

If we put sentiment aside, this plan makes total sense.

Also from a Man Management aspect. Everyone needs to be on the same page.

No ego's either.

The captaincy debacle also was good man management. calls here for Mcginn to be stripped of captaincy was madness it would have been terrible man management everyone seems to be benefiting from the clean slate there’s no favouritism just selection of the best team to win matches. 

Edited by gwi1890
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Have a feeling he’s going to stick with Olsen for a while.

He may feel it’s important to send a message that if someone does well they keep their place, he may also want to knock Emi down a peg or two to stop him from inflating his ego too far.

Its possible there is some hang over from the previous time Emi and he works together at Arsenal too, perhaps.

I dunno, could all be wide of the mark of course but the name checking during the post-match comments and some of the subsequent club social media stuff also highlighting Olsen makes me think he’s gonna be between the posts tomorrow night.

Will be interesting to see how this pans out over the coming weeks.

I don’t think Emi needs knocking down a peg or two he just needs time to recover physically and mentally from the world cup. He’s quite a humble lad from what I’ve seen always greets people and fans and came here to play regular football unlike most who are happy to be on the books at scum 6 clubs.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

If we put sentiment aside, this plan makes total sense.

Also from a Man Management aspect. Everyone needs to be on the same page.

No ego's either.

It really reminds me of Rugby. Which is even more of a team sport in prep than Football is. Clear game plans set out with lots of detail, lots of video analysis etc.. to teams a prepared for upcoming game. It involves lots of details on opposition. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

It really reminds me of Rugby. Which is even more of a team sport in prep than Football is. Clear game plans set out with lots of detail, lots of video analysis etc.. to teams a prepared for upcoming game. It involves lots of details on opposition. 

Yeah with the 5 sub rule, it's become much more like rugby, where you can pre-plan the last half hour of the game to some extent. That probably suits someone like Emery. And also suits our squad, which has a lot of depth. In most positions we don't have one standout irreplaceable player... probably just Martinez and Kamara... so that gives him lots of flexibility.

21 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

I don’t think Emi needs knocking down a peg or two he just needs time to recover physically and mentally from the world cup. He’s quite a humble lad from what I’ve seen always greets people and fans and came here to play regular football unlike most who are happy to be on the books at scum 6 clubs.

I hope that’s the case but after the achievement and subsequent adoration of a nation for the past few weeks he may not be the same person, temporarily at least anyway. 

Hopefully it’s not an issue and he’s come back as humble, hungry and dedicated as he was when he left.

Would be peak Villa to get a WC winning player brimming with confidence and then try to keep him "grounded" and bring him down from that high. Making him unhappy and ultimately forcing a move.

Surely that's not who we are.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Judging by the howler made by Lloris which gave us the win I guess you’d have to say resting Martinez was the right choice. Also a huge confidence boost for Olsen who actually looked pretty composed in goal for once.

Edited by david-avfc
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, david-avfc said:

Judging by the howler made by Lloris which gave us the win I guess you’d have to say resting Martinez was the right choice. Also a huge confidence boost for Olsen who actually looked pretty composed in goal for once.

Potentially, Lloris has been making pretty regular howlers for a good year or so now though

22 minutes ago, sne said:

Would be peak Villa to get a WC winning player brimming with confidence and then try to keep him "grounded" and bring him down from that high. Making him unhappy and ultimately forcing a move.

Alpay says hi

... granted, not a WC winner.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ozvillafan said:

Alpay says hi

... granted, not a WC winner.

Alpay was a tit thou :D 

Also when MON decided to throw the UEFA cup. Really don't think the players were happy with that call.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, sne said:

If he's going to become " unhappy " and force a move due to missing a couple ( probably 2 - 3 max )games.

Especially after the sacrifices we've made for him and his International career, then I'm not sure how I'd feel about that. ( Times when we've needed him but allowed him to travel for extended periods, especially with Covid protocols etc )

If he loves team as much as he claims he should see the bigger picture.

I don't picture Emi as that type but you never know.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

15 minutes ago, Xela said:

Hasn't Unai already said that Emi is the number 1 and Olsen "knows his role"?

Emi will be back as soon as he is ready IMO 

I think Emi will be back in for Wolves, and Olsen will start against Stevenage.  If UE does decide to stick with Olsen for Wolves and Stevenage, then Emi will be back for Leeds.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sne said:

Agreed.  I think that this analysis...

3 hours ago, CVByrne said:

It's clear he gives the team a huge amount of detail and prep. I would imagine he decided he will go with the players he had available during the world cup for Liverpool, Spurs and maybe Wolves as those were 3 games in 10 days. There's then a 9 day gap to our next Premier League game.

I believe this is why Cash and Martinez haven't started last two games because the team worked on restarts. Martinez and Cash won't have worked in those so Emery wasn't considering them for those games. 

...makes much more sense.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I honestly don’t know, has he explicitly said that since the league restarted? 

Yes. He said it after the Spurs games 

With regards to Emi what goes up must come down. And he will have never been so up in his life. It is good management by Unai. It is why most players who played the final were not thrown into the very next league game.

The elation of that night would have even beaten the elation of my youth at the spectrum night at the institute. 🙃

5 hours ago, CVByrne said:

I like how flexible we are tactically based on game state. For Spurs it was keep them out and quiet the crowd. They have 3 forwards and two wong backs. Our wide Midfielders were prioritizing defence and we ended up with a back 6 often. With our two quick forwards as a counter attacking out ball. 

Halftime it's 0-0 and job done so far. Then in second half we get a goal and the game state has changed, then we know there will be even more space for attacks as they need to score now. Once we get the second we move to close up and go ultra defensive making changes.

It was different against Liverpool (and I suspect other teams) where when we are a goal behind we played a high defensive line and mid block this is to try win the ball back higher up the pitch to create more goal scoring chances. The plan for the Liverpool game changed very early on that game as we went behind and the game state was different.

Emery is a proactive coach. He will act when he feels that it is the best thing to do to achieve a result. Players are given detail about the roles they're asked to do and those can change mid game depending on game state 

My sentiments too.

I think he will be more adventurous at Home than away, but he just seems to know how to win.....I hope I don't have to eat my words, but its hard to predict what formation, he will go with, that has to be good.

We seen periods of 6-2-2 on Sunday, but I don't expect to see that, regularly......just when he feels the need....He will go with what works.

I think his whole philosophy is borne out of "how to win".......The variation and flexibility, is difficult for opponents to follow, and when you out wit the likes of Conte, you know you are on to a winner.

I know its early, but this guy, looks like the real deal.....I am still keen to see a few of his own players, come in, but I am gobsmacked, with what he has done so far, with someone elses team.

I think its coy, to think he can continue without strengthening, but I feel confident, his moves, will be the right ones.

Â