Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

57 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

By failure I mean I don't think anything is gonna change.

We'll hover around mid table at best.

Would love to share you guys optimism but I just have a bad feeling.

I have zero faith in the board and I don't see them having a plan.

I think you’re being too vague with your parameters for success, “hover around mid table” is a bit vague and from where we are isn’t that realistically quite a good result from being right down the bottom? 

I’m not massively optimistic either to be honest, in the short term, but I think if we buy in to Emery and give him long enough even through the inevitable tough patches, we’ll get some good results. 

I think everyone’s idea of success is different, but if anyone expects a top 7 finish from where we are now… I think that’s dreaming way too much

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 1

i really hope we got this appointment right. we need a coach that can get more out of this group than what they are currently delivering

i'm not expecting the world, but it would be nice to not be completely shit

• Like 2

14 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

I know you’re joking to some extent, but I think that there was an element of that approach with Gerrard. Times have changed since the days of Ron Saunders, Clough and Fergie. Players don’t respond to fear theses days. For a start off, they can earn enough to live the rest of their days inside a year, so they’re not in any fear of losing their job. I think good managers realise this, unfortunately Gerrard didn’t come close to being a good manager. 

I know what you are saying Dave, and to some degree, I agree.

but you have to be decisive in management, and that means, not being derailed by dissenters or naysayers.

I don't believe, strong management, means unfair management, I think that can be a misinterpretation.....I can't comment on SG's treatment of players, because I am not privvy to the day to day, goings on...but I have a sneaky suspicion, it has cost 2 managers, their job....Now I know results do that in the main, but I just fear, something is just not right......I hope UE is strong enough to deal with it, and get on top of this dastardly split personality of a team...I believe the last 2 managers have failed with it.

I accept the Capatincy shenanighans, was mishandled, but mainly giving it to John McGinn, was my beef......but I don't believe that alone,  has this squad, where it is....these issues have been around for yonks, they seem to be just developing more.

You must have Authority.....and the Authority has to be accepted by the masses, in our case players.....He has to stamp his mark.

Arms around shoulders is all very well, but each action has its place.....too much of either, can affect the desired outcome.

Eddie Howe, does not strike me as an easy touch, by any stretch of the imagination....but he seems decisive and forthright.....and thats what we need.

PS as the old saying goes, "first time coincidence, second time Happenstance, third time, enemy action"........we have to stop repeating the same mutterings of the collapses of this team....we need focused action.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Pinebro said:

By failure I mean I don't think anything is gonna change.

We'll hover around mid table at best.

Would love to share you guys optimism but I just have a bad feeling.

I have zero faith in the board and I don't see them having a plan.

I think one thing you can tell from the owners is that they know what they want and are willing to do what it takes to change things if they feel it’s not working.

I really can’t envisage a coach of Emery’s pedigree and experience coming to Villa without certain assurances, and I don’t think Sawiris and Edens will hesitate to move Lange or Purslow on if recruitment doesn’t improve/fit with what Emery wants. I think we’ve already improved on that department with Carlos and Kamara, though obviously it’s still too early to tell with either of them — so far signs are good, though, I’d say.

The owners are the kind of people that learn from their mistakes, in my opinion. That’s why I think Emery is more likely to stick around longer than Lange, and even Purslow from a footballing point of view (especially given the disastrous appointment of Gerrard).

The appointment of a coach like Emery, especially in such a seemingly short timeframe, suggests to me that we’re moving a step in the right direction.

• Like 2

First things first, he can set us up defensively with two central midfielders in a 4 4 2 and be a counter attacking side. This makes total sense given our next 5 games are 

United United Brighton Liverpool Tottenham. All of these are games where a draw is a success. We need to be a hard team to play against. We looked totally gung ho against Newcastle end to end and then just gave up when they got their 2nd goal and it became a rout

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Not picking on you, and off topic, but I can’t stand this expression.

Purslow has been in a C-level role in football, working for Chelsea, Liverpool, PSG and Aston Villa, for 13.5 years. 13.5 years into my career I definitely felt I knew my sector. He’s not out on the grass but he knows his way around the game.

Lange has been a coach, an assistant manager, a manager and a sporting director across 14 years. We’d consider Aaron Danks a football person, presumably, but Lange has more years of coaching in the bank than him. 

They are hardly unfamiliar with football just because they never played in the Premier League.

As it is now they appointed a great manager in Smith, and got us promoted and established in the league. Then they appointed a bad manager in Gerrard when they wanted to push on, but in less than a year have corrected that and brought in one of the most respected coaches in Europe. Let’s give it some time and see how the new setup works.

Not to be pedantic but Lange came after promotion and was not involved in the Smith appt.

3 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Not picking on you, and off topic, but I can’t stand this expression.

Purslow has been in a C-level role in football, working for Chelsea, Liverpool, PSG and Aston Villa, for 13.5 years. 13.5 years into my career I definitely felt I knew my sector. He’s not out on the grass but he knows his way around the game.

Lange has been a coach, an assistant manager, a manager and a sporting director across 14 years. We’d consider Aaron Danks a football person, presumably, but Lange has more years of coaching in the bank than him. 

They are hardly unfamiliar with football just because they never played in the Premier League.

As it is now they appointed a great manager in Smith, and got us promoted and established in the league. Then they appointed a bad manager in Gerrard when they wanted to push on, but in less than a year have corrected that and brought in one of the most respected coaches in Europe. Let’s give it some time and see how the new setup works.

That is fair but they are not beyond criticism. 

one thing i liked about an interview i saw with Emery, was that when talking about the PL compared to other leagues, and more broadly "modern football", he spoke about the tika taka Barcelona style is now becoming an aged style of play, he talked about the most modern tactics being technical, but also about speed, power, physicality, winning duels and battles at speed, pressing and turnovers etc, he pointed to the fact that the PL was at the forefront of these tactical developments.

Im kinda hopeful that he will over time, via our own players improving and new signings, maybe promoting youth etc, make us a more powerful, physical as well as technical side, ie: a more balanced side.

I think one of our historic problems has been our lack of physicality & power (also technicality, but yeah....).

• Like 2

i have timestamped at 22mins when the comment i am referring to is said.

Basically, its about giving Emery time, and us as fans trusting him to make the difficult decisions, in the sense that we as fans can be quite hardcore in terms of allegiance to certain players, where in reality a lot of these players have let us down at times over the last few years, so maybe its time to back Emery (who we know has the credentials) to make the right and difficult decisions, back the manager and not be partisan in our defence of players, ie: the club comes before the players.

I think its a very pertinent comment, and tbh its something i am going to try and do, these players have already got 2 managers sacked, and ofc maybe the managers didnt help themselves, but still, these players for me have proven they cant be put on a pedestal, if we are confident we have the right manager, we need to back the manager and the club to make the tough decisions.

If we carry on the way we are, we will either be primarily bottom half, fighting relegation, or god forbid, relegated.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

So on Tuesday I expect to see Sky outside the training ground waiting for Emery and the main twitter account with all day coverage of Emery's first day and many interviews 🤌

It’ll be second story behind something like ‘Ronaldo changes his morning cereal’ or ‘Harry Kane decided to get new hair cut’…can’t give us too much positivity.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

First things first, he can set us up defensively with two central midfielders in a 4 4 2 and be a counter attacking side. This makes total sense given our next 5 games are 

United United Brighton Liverpool Tottenham. All of these are games where a draw is a success. We need to be a hard team to play against. We looked totally gung ho against Newcastle end to end and then just gave up when they got their 2nd goal and it became a rout

Isn't it mental, that out of this list of games... Liverpool now seem the easiest?

Don't worry though, I'm sure they'll find their scintillating peak against us rolling back the years... Lol

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Isn't it mental, that out of this list of games... Liverpool now seem the easiest?

Don't worry though, I'm sure they'll find their scintillating peak against us rolling back the years... Lol

I was thinking today JV “it’s so typical we haven’t played Liverpool in this run, I wish we had” and then thought hmmmm their fans are probably thinking “we need to play Villa to get out of this run” 😂

• Sad 1

Â