Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 13k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

You could just do a Joey Barton.... and throw the native accent into anything you're saying.

So I reckon if Emery tries to put Brummy spin on his words it will confuse the enemy.

Brummy Basque could be the future

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, AJ said:

He comes across as an absolute gentleman, and I think we have been blessed to get him.

Also, he does look a bit like a slightly deceased Austrian pop star from the 80s.

See the source image

Can you be slightly deceased?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

My take on the accent thing is that he's working in probably his third language, and will know, obviously, that it's not his best, yet he chooses to address the media in their own language, rather than have an interpreter which he could very easily arrange for. Not only does that show bravery and confidence, but it also shows respect for the country he is working in. Fair play to the man. If he gets a few words wrong, I really don't care, it's the effort made to try that is worth everything. 

Contrast with Bielsa who does not appear to have made the slightest concession or attempt to learning English. 

If I went to work in France or Spain, I'd learn French or Spanish. No question. You have to respect the culture you live in. 

Bielsa can speak English he just doesn't do it in public because he can't optimally formulate his answers the way he wants.

And tbf Bielsa comes from an older generation where English speaking weren't as common and accessible as it is now.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Gerrard sacked on a Thursday, Emery signs on a Friday and we spend the next few days chuckling at the media claiming we had been spurred by various managers. 

Late Thursday and that Friday morning, what a vibe that was.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

The more I think about it, the more ridiculous it is that we were valuing the likes of Potter and Pochettino over Emery.

Was listening to a podcast, and the bloke is more successful than both, as well as even the other competitors who managed at PSG as well.

He actually did a better job an PSG them.

His " failures" still eclipse their successes.

Just shows how heavily influenced people are by " fashionable " candidates despite actual fact and performance.

( Myself included )

Not fair to compare with potter tbh , potter did everything he could with the teams he had and resources but poch on the other hand yes! … you can compare him to potter after the next two seasons he has with chelsea 

Edited by RicRic

44 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Bielsa can speak English he just doesn't do it in public because he can't optimally formulate his answers the way he wants.

And tbf Bielsa comes from an older generation where English speaking weren't as common and accessible as it is now.

I think my post came across wrong. I didn't mean to necessarily lambast Bielsa, I was trying more to say that it was a reflection of good character on the part of Unai to go out of his way to learn and use the language. 

I also think that managers like Klopp, whose use of English is better than many natives, don't perhaps get as much credit as they should in this regard.  

12 hours ago, IrishVilla10 said:

This is going to be huge. They got Balague on the claret and blue pod and he was asked about 4231 and 442 formations. He basically said we’ll be changing formations throughout the game and based on different situations and that no one sticks to one these days, lol. The players are in for a huge change and I’m all for it 

Its always been my observation of the better teams.....formations morph, with the dynamics..or they should.

I get what he was saying.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

My favourite was the Portuguese guy who said " Amorim has no interest in taking over at Aston Villa ".

Meanwhile we had probably already sewn up our top target and it was us who wasn't interested 😂

Exactly. You don't sign a manager in 2 days, it's just shown up all of the media outlets who were touting names as speculative chancers.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â