Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, TRO said:

To have a manager who has managed just under a 1,000 games and recorded a win percentage of 53% in top leagues, is a tremendous endorsement.

In our last 100 years, no manager of ours has achieved more than 50% ......thats aside from his trophies.....He clearly knows how to win games.

Nothing is guaranteed in football, but this does have an encouraging ring to it.....The odds must be raised of him being a success.

I think this is a watershed moment, and I would think he has been offered a huge budget to support his plan.

I got the last one wrong, so forgive me, for not going over board.....but this one does have some clear indicators, that its right.

I was more than heartened, in the display on sunday, with a clear sign that this team can perform.

The football was convincing and the movement was fluid, against a team renowned for its intensity......that was the bit, that had me purring......The workrate and togetherness, was awesome.

I am also, encouraged, by the noises, that UE like the physical, aggressive, talent, which as you know is my philosophy too.....This league is daunting, so talent has to be harnessed to a physical and aggressive backdrop.

The signs are good to me, fingers crossed, we can finally move this club forward.

I doubt he'll manage to get a 50 % win ratio at Aston Villa but if he does he'll have done exceptionally well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

This feels like a ‘if this don’t work, nothing will’ moment.

The board need to back Emery. Let him bring in 4/5 players over the next two windows. If that’s 150m, then so be it. 

Give a world class manager the tools to succeed. Especially given his ability to get the most from the players that are here. It’s a recipe for success.

We need to go big on Emery. 

If this doesn't work out we can blame nothing but the owners and Purslow.

Guy ahs literally been a success everywhere he has been.

2 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Where we'll have to go is to sack he sporting director and Purslow.

Whoever is in charge of footballing decisions.

It means you have to look at recruitment and the director of football etc. definitely, the people who should be providing Emery with what he needs.

If Emery can get a 50% win ratio here, then 19x3 = 57 points, plus say 10 draws and nine losses and that's 67 points. Easy enough for europe every season. We should be looking at that as a target in a couple of years and giving him what he needs to get us there.

Really interesting appointment here for Villa and also exciting.

Currently reading alot about Emery and his style and identity which will be crucial to how we develop as we know already that we have good players. Rumours and reports circulating that he will be backed in January, I fully expect upto really push for the top ten positions now.

UTV

• Like 1

2 hours ago, duke313 said:

Can't wait now for the Emery era to begin.  It'll be such a change to see a manager who actually knows what he's doing.  Gerrard really has set the bar so low.  

lets not beat ourselves up....Gerrard failed, we failed as a club, I failed in my predicted outcome......so what, we move on, most successes are built from failure.

We need to channel all our thoughts and support, behind the new man and treat the past as the imposter, that it was....but we live and learn.

There is nothing to be gained, by mulling through the ashes.......we need to dust oursleves down, put on a positive face, and get behind a man, who has illustrated his ability to win games.

The past is the past.....lets look forward to the future, for our satisfaction.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

This feels like a ‘if this don’t work, nothing will’ moment.

The board need to back Emery. Let him bring in 4/5 players over the next two windows. If that’s 150m, then so be it. 

Give a world class manager the tools to succeed. Especially given his ability to get the most from the players that are here. It’s a recipe for success.

We need to go big on Emery. 

i dunno, i agree we should back him with some signings, but he also has a history of improving players and bringing youth through.

we already have a fairly large squad, i agree we should back him with a few signings, but we also need to offload a few as right now there is no real space or pathway for our youth (on the whole), and i honestly think one of his remits would be to bring a few youth players through the system and either integrate them in to the first team, or develop them to sell.

Obviously i know nothing, but i would honestly guess that his agreement/remit might be:

1) we will back you with signings, but nothing mind blowing or that will put the club at financial risk (ie: 100m over Jan and the summer, but as much funded by sales/profit as possible).

2) offload some players (to help fund signings), i think we prob have quite a few players just not suited to how he likes to play).

3) improve the players we already have (he has a history of doing this - i didnt mean it as a cliche).

4) integrate & develop youth to either integrate in to the first team squad or develop to sell for profit (this will also help the transfer kitty and sustainability).

i would guess that the days of spending 150m in a window, with no income from sales is gone, tbh, the last couple of years have shown this, we havent spent big in the last couple of years, in terms of net spend (i know contracts/salaries are different - but yeah, im just talking in terms of net transfer spend).

I would honestly guess that Emery is coming in for the full project, to build the culture he wants, improve the players we have, buy some players but fund some of that with sales of senior or youth players (the youth players who arent deemed good enough for our own squad), i am guessing, but i reckon possibly one of the reasons he chose us is that the owners and Purslow have given him the full scope of the project to manage, alongside Lange and the rest of the team.

as long as we as fans are on board and dont get restless, we could be in for an interesting ride.

i just hope it doesnt turn out like the Gerrard debacle 😭 (i was defo guilty of trying to give Gerrard the benefit of the doubt for the first 6 months, but i was proven badly wrong), although this is a totally different kettle of fish, with a proven coach, so fingers crossed.

Edited by MaVilla

9 hours ago, Jas10 said:

I’m really, really intrigued to see which players Unai actually rates and intends to build the side around…

and which players he deems to be below the required standards - I suspect it will be those that are most limited in terms of technical prowess and skill…

I’ve heard he really values and admires players that combine physicality with skill too…

I would certainly trust his judgement… he’s been there and done it.

Personally, I would put our two Emis at the top of that list… along with Kamara.

Carlos… possibly Bailey… Luiz… 

JJ…

I have serious reservations and misgivings about McGinn… 

Who knows about Coutinho? Has he got it in him? It’s more of a psychological and personality based challenge… he certainly has the ability…

It would be nice to see some of them have a resurgence… I get the impression that Unai can get the best/maximum out of the players at his disposal… seems to have done that at Villarreal..

But we need better, and a more complete/balanced side, to truly compete and have success… step by step…

You might be able to see from Sundays game.  He picked the team imo

• Like 2

Assistant manager chat here please

Tactics and selections in the tactics thread or pre match threads please. Don’t drag this one off topic. And no more discussion of crap YouTubers. Ta.

8 minutes ago, pas5898 said:

We have good players already. Firing money at the problem is just unsustainable. As Omar said, we had the equivalent of a F1 being driven by me, now we have a proper experienced F1 driver.

Honestly, look at it. Take out the top 6 who operate in their own world. Take out preconceptions about how they played under a novice manager.

Not many better fullback pairings of Cash / Digne

CB: Carlos (CL level) / Mings (leader) / Konsa (was the next big thing).

Not many better DM groups than Luiz (brazil int) / Kamara (french int) / Dendoncker (belgium int)

No10: Not many better 10's than Coutinho / Buendia

Strikers: Danny Ings is one of the most proven goalscorers in the prem. 

The squad really is not that far away, it just needs a manager who can extract from them the best of their abilities. I truly believe we have that now.

I disagree, but not entirely. Our squad is probably better than I give it credit for but I don’t think it’s good enough to get into Europe. I think we’re probably 2/3 starters away from that at least.

For a start, I think we need a better winger and a better striker than what we have. Watkins isn’t good enough technically and I think Ings is a little slow and not quite quick enough for the level we’re aspiring to. There’s 2 straight away. 

I also think we’re short of another top class central midfielder. 

Either way, you’re right about being driven by a better driver now. I fully expect Emery to be able to get better from this squad than Gerrard served up. A simply change to the system is probably worth an extra 10 points a season. That dopey 4-3-2-1 formation with the fullbacks playing as strikers and the midfielders just going walkabouts was a f****** tragedy. 

• Like 2

If we can sign a winger that can play both sides and a striker, I think that could possibly do us for the next two windows and achieve top half.

Sure I'd like more, and there's holes elsewhere, but we are going to see an uptick from everyone IMO.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RicRic said:

27 years!!!!! can you believe that statistic, absolutely atrocious against them at home we are, i always think of the close games we had to winning and throwing it away almost scripted, but with Emery i now have faith now that our record against the top 4/5 teams will remarkably improve

Dont check our away record at Newcastle😛

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

If we can sign a winger that can play both sides and a striker, I think that could possibly do us for the next two windows and achieve top half.

Sure I'd like more, and there's holes elsewhere, but we are going to see an uptick from everyone IMO.

We need to start seeing an uptick from everyone, we have to get more from what we have.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â