Unai Emery

PeterSw

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Chatting to a Arsenal fan and he said it felt he didn’t really have a plan and they were also way too attacking. Leaked a lot of goals and just relied on Auba to bail them out. Now I wonder how much of that was in his remit after Wenger because I always saw Emery as a more defensively minded manager.  

Any manager taking that job after Wenger was setup to fail, same as Moyes at United after SAF.  Emery will have learnt from his time at Arsenal, and sounds like he's determined to prove any doubters wrong that he can't cut it in the Prem.

• Like 3

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

This guy is usually quite good. 

I enjoy this guys' analysis of situations generally.  Very good points made.

On this Emery appointment, this analysis is exciting - particularly as we do appear to be a really well suited squad.  Very encouraging.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Chatting to a Arsenal fan and he said it felt he didn’t really have a plan and they were also way too attacking. Leaked a lot of goals and just relied on Auba to bail them out. Now I wonder how much of that was in his remit after Wenger because I always saw Emery as a more defensively minded manager.  

From the video I just quoted, Emery was apparently tasked with getting Arsenal to play exciting football - which may not have necessarily been the best fit for the team (or for him).

• Like 1

I don't get this idea that he's a defensive manager, in his two seasons at The Yellow Submarine they were top scorers in La Liga other than the two Madrid teams and Barcelona, in his full season at Arsenal only Liverpool and Man City scored more, Paris Saint-Germain scored 108 goals when he won the league with them, in his last season with Sevilla they were fifth top scorers in La Liga, season before they were third top scorers, and in his first season with them they were fourth top scorers. Haven't looked as far back as when he was with Valencia, but going back almost ten years his teams have always been amongst the highest scorers in the league.

Edited by useless
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, FLVillan said:

Won't take 90 minutes for many...😃  As soon as the first starting 11 is put up an hour before his first game will set some off..... 

Just imagine when he names McGinn in his first Villa 11. 😬 people will be screaming for Danks. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, useless said:

I don't get this idea that he's a defensive manager, in his two seasons at The Yellow Submarine they were top scorers in La Liga other than the two Madrid teams and Barcelona, in his full season at Arsenal only Liverpool and Man City scored more, Paris Saint-Germain scored 108 goals when he won the league with them, in his last season with Sevilla they were fifth top scorers in La Liga, season before they were third top scorers, and in his first season with them they were fourth top scorers. Haven't looked as far back as when he was with Valencia, but going back almost ten years his teams have always been amongst the highest scorers in the league.

Don’t let the stats get in the way of peoples agendas! 😅

2 minutes ago, useless said:

I think people are confusing defensive with pragmatic

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

So now he's too attacking? I'm not sure I trust your friends football analysis skills. 😏

Chuffed with this. On paper the best appointment we could have made, bar none.

Poch would have been exciting and I think successful too, but Emery may be an even better fit and certainly has a stronger CV overall. 

He may need time and we should and I am sure will give it to him, but I think very exciting times could be ahead. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, useless said:

The Arsenal goal stats are inflated slightly, they relied heavily on goals from Auba.

We don't have a striker that could currently hit 20+ (Ings has one season with Southampton, but can he re-find that form?)

24 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Any manager taking that job after Wenger was setup to fail, same as Moyes at United after SAF.  Emery will have learnt from his time at Arsenal, and sounds like he's determined to prove any doubters wrong that he can't cut it in the Prem.

Only difference between Moyes and Emery is Emery actually did better in the season following his predecessor .

Arsenal still had Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang after Emery left, but they haven't scored as many goals in a season since, in fact in the two seasons following Emery's departure when PEA was still in form they only scored fifty odd goals.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â