Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

1 hour ago, viivvaa66 said:

Seriously I do not get this. Pochettino failed in his last season at Spurs, his stay at PSG can only be described as a failure. We would provide him with a perfect opportunity to rebuild his career. I can’t see why he should turn us down.

I guess I'm just being pessimistic. I liked him when he was at Southampton, his teams play nice football and he can handle big name players so our lot should be fairly easy

Just now, Jas10 said:

Apparently, he wanted Spurs to sign him from Barca too…

Clearly we can't send Gerrard to Poch's house to explain the project and convince him to join us as manager, maybe we could send Phil and Purslow on this mission 😀

• Like 1

If you dont ask for a top manager you wont get one. Worst they can do is say No

2008 I think it was blues approached Marcello Lippi as manager. He said No but if you don't ask you dont get.

Just show some ambition and dont hire a guy that was a good player 12 years ago

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Talldarkandransome said:

He didn't stay long though did he. That would be the main problem with getting Pochettino. As soon as a bigger job came up he would be gone. We need years to get into Europe, and probably a decade to get into the top 4 regularly. For that we need someone that wants to do that with Villa and not just see us as a stepping stone 

A manager who is actually good enough to use us a stepping stone and moves onto bigger things.

Wouldn't that be novel!

• Haha 1

Poch has had a fantastic career so far and would be the outstanding choice from who is available, although I would be extremely happy with Potter too. 

They are both managers who continually improve the teams they are manager of. The obvious blips in this are end of Spurs stint (hampered by aging squad and no funds to refresh it) and PSG (no control over the shaping of the squad).

If Poch came in and worked with Lange. I think he'd get us 7th with the team we have and with a few savvy signings once we're in Europe, there's no reason we'd ever drop out of those positions. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Zatman said:

2008 I think it was blues approached Marcello Lippi as manager. He said No but if you don't ask you dont get.

They’d have been made up to get him

There's no doubt in my mind that there will be managers, both in and out of work, looking at the set-up and the squad at Villa, and then seeing how we perform currently and thinking "I could get them moving in the right direction fast"

I'd see us as a BTEC Spurs right now if I was a neutral manager, in that I think a manager might see a similar situation to what's happened with Conte unfolding here. You take over as manager, you might have a couple of shaky spells and a few terrible games, but you'll still exceed the expectations that were lowered by the previous man in charge. You then go to the board with the finishing position and say "right, we're in Europe, we need rid of 10 of this squad, we need 2 of the starting line-up replaced and we need to dramatically improve the bench or I'll walk, I've got plenty of offers" 

if Poch does that, and the board back him, suddenly you've got both sides in agreement, if you stay, we'll back you but we expect you to not walk for a tempting offer. 

In order of preference when the club decide the time is right:

1. Pochettino

2. Potter

3. Rogers

Gerrard probably has five or so games to save his job, maybe less.  We’ve committed a helluva amount in transfer fees and salaries for a top half/top eight finish.  Can’t see the club waiting much longer for results to improve.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ferguson1 said:

In order of preference when the club decide the time is right:

1. Pochettino

2. Potter

3. Rogers

Gerrard probably has five or so games to save his job, maybe less.  We’ve committed a helluva amount in transfer fees and salaries for a top half/top eight finish.  Can’t see the club waiting much longer for results to improve.  

This is my preference too. Although I think the window to get Poch is very narrow, we could lose out to Leicester if they sack Rodgers, I think the closer we get to the World Cup, the likes of Chelsea and United might fancy Poch if he’s still available 

30 minutes ago, Zatman said:

You don’t think we’ll have already approached Poch if we have started looking for a new a manger?

1 minute ago, Talldarkandransome said:

I guess I'm just being pessimistic. I liked him when he was at Southampton, his teams play nice football and he can handle big name players so our lot should be fairly easy

He was very good at Spurs too and got them CL football and didn't he have a summer without any transfers coming in

1 minute ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Imagine if he lost his first game

We would then all be in full agreement that we never wanted him in the first place and Purslow only got him in because he is Phil's mate. Poch OUT! (I think I am probably the first to call for his sacking 😀)

• Haha 1