Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

1 minute ago, John said:

100%, I can see a bit of "show us your medals" going on, as soon as he tells a few of them, how he would like to see them play. I give him 12-18 months, if he doesn't win anything, or at least qualify for the later rounds of the CL this season and finish top 4 next season. To be honest I don't much care, he will still get job offers when he does leave, in view of the work he has already done and I would guess, he will be on a very much higher salary until he does go. I'm hoping that we won't have a vacancy then, because we will have kicked on, with or without SG by then. That is if he gets the job, his may be one of two or three planned interviews. 

He'll probably leave there with ten times his current networth as well even if he fails to be fair.

Must be nice!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IrishVilla10 said:

I’d be really worried if Purslow and co haven’t got a list of potential replacements at least 

Especially considering they were sounding out replacements for Smith (including Gerrard interestingly) since early 2021 at least.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, messi11 said:

Poch needs to happen now just to shock Gary Neville 

Tbh I don’t know what’s there to think about,  whatever it cost to get Pochetino to villa improves villa absolute no brainier.

Maybe I'm just forever underestimating the potential of Villa but for what it's worth I agree with Neville's basic point (even if he proceeded to contradict himself when attempting to out meat on the bone of it). Poch is now in that "elite" job space where he'll be in the mix for the job at any top club when it becomes available, which when you factor in beyond the Premier League as well there are likely to be a few of in any one season. Feels beyond Villa's reach but who knows.

Part of why I was worried about Smith being sacked even though I thought the time had probably come myself was that I thought it was inevitable that Purslow was going to go for Gerrard. I'm less confident this time around but the timing makes sense to me that we'll see Rodgers in some time before Christmas, who I'd be quite happy with. I do have a bit of a concern that we'd look at Dyche though depending on how grim of a position we're left in post-Gerrard.

Absolutely yes to Tuchel. The guy can coach. Chelsea is a crazy club with a mishmash of mega signings under various managers. Really only the likes of Mourinho and Conte can get a real handle on squads like that. 

With Villa, we just need someone to coach this talented squad into the top half and we can take it from there. He's more than qualified for that.

• Like 2