Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

After watching the last game I think it's pretty clear that what we are really lacking is coaching and a system. It was plain as day. At the time I took it as a lack of confidence, but after all that has come out since, such as Emi's comments on training, I think they were just confused as to what to do when in possession. 

Bad news- that is not fixed overnight.

Good news- all you need is a good coach with a clear vision, and the players output will increase hugely. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, est1874 said:

Gerrard being shit and the current squad not being good can both be true. I'm not saying that's my opinion, but I do think it's very imbalanced, and a poor manager was unable to see that or navigate his way around the issue.

Absolutely, and the injuries to key players didn't help.

Different selection and a less flawed tactic will do if not wonders then at least a difference thou.

15 minutes ago, daft said:

I disagree. I don't much like Gerrard,  but I have a feeling our squad as a whole is vastly overrated by us in general. As Villans, I do think they have it all to prove still.

It’s hard to know as Gerrard would play players  out of their best positions, and not play certain players at all despite the poor form of the regulars. I hope to see some fresh faces in todays lineup.

• Like 1

On another note, if it's true that AVB is " keen " I'm not sure why so many are against the idea, and would even prefer Dyche over him.

Won't pretend to have followed his career closely after leaving England, but he seems to have done ok?

His main issue would appear to be being a bit fiery.

Also, knows Sanson and Kamara well.

If all top targets aren't immediately attainable, surely we could do worse?

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

It’s hard to know as Gerrard would play players  out of their best positions, and not play certain players at all despite the poor form of the regulars. I hope to see some fresh faces in todays lineup.

Agreed, and we also tend to overrated the lads not playing. I am more than happy to be proven wrong, and if we get a decent man in and he's sacked off without getting something oit of these boys I will **** break down. 😅

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

PS  I genuinely can't be bothered to go today, just contemplating.

It’s the first game I’ve wanted to go to for ages…strange how different we are.  I don’t expect much from today, it’s just relief and now hope for the future.  

I think you are probably just struggling with your strong belief that it would work with Gerrard and now you are feeling flat after it didn’t.  You’ll get your mojo back soon mate don’t worry. 

14 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think this next move, is critical for us, and I am waiting for the outcome with trepidation.

Me too

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

I am not expecting, to be pleased with the outcome.....but, I have no alternative, but to get behind them.

I think I’ll be more please than I was about Gerrard which is a positive for me.  I don’t expect an elite manager but I also don’t expect a shit manager. 

19 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think we have some players, capable of presiding over 8th - 10th and bunch, that are not.....I am not as convinced as you appear to be, in some of the players.

I just think as a collective they are that in comparison with all the teams around that position but just need better coaching. They are at least 7 or 8 teams that are worse squads than us, if we have some decent coaching we’ll climb the table a bit.  We obviously have squad issues but all teams outside the top 7 do.

20 minutes ago, TRO said:

my point is, if we think its just a cometic fix, and that a few tactical moves, will fix it.....I think we are wrong.

It won’t fix it but it will make it better than we currently are and people keep telling me we are only a victory or two from mid table and small adjustments can get a win or two here or there just Gerrard couldn’t do it.

13 minutes ago, sne said:

Guess the more you liked Gerrard the more hopeless you'll think the job is and the worse you'll think the squad is.

I thought the squad was imbalanced under Dean Smith, so I don't know where you get that from.....and still do.

I have always liked Steven Gerrard, other than when he was riding roughshod, through our midfield.....I have always admired his drive.

I am surprised, it didn't work out.....but after a good initial start, it failed miserably, particualrly, this season.

I thought, his signings in the January was fanciful, and we needed a bit more, like Newcastle mustered.......but, I thought, we would get other things right and with Carlos and Kamama as belated as they was ( we needed a CDM ages before) he got that right and then the stoney silence of a transfer window, which quite frankly, I didn't get.

I think this squad/team needs a fundamental uplift in attitude and desire, and I thought to my surprise, SG could do that, and I was wrong.

I believe, if this job is approached in a cosmetic way, and we think a few tweaks, will fix everything.....I think we will be fighting relegation.

I believe a monumental turn in attitude is required to get us out of this mess.....do I think they have the talent, yes......but that same talent has to be applied, and in most games its not.

I also think we have flaws in the squad......No centre forward, with an aerial threat......No full backs with defensive nous, just attacking flair.......a questionable centre back pairing,.......A goalkeeper, who has lost form.......a midfield very samey, no physical threat or aerial literacy, a forward line, with no visible, aggression of willingness to be proactive only reactive.....rarely attack the ball.

If a new manager, can reverse that, I will applaud him.

• Like 1

I'm not buying the 'squad is s**t' argument, partly for the reasons explained in my last post  and partly because this squad even without the addition of two quality players in key areas (granted they are injured at present  but have played and will play again this season) have finished mid table before. We added quality to a team that had been mixing it in mid table for a while. Aside from getting some wide players (come home Bertie), I don't think we need surgery, we NEED coaching.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, daft said:

I disagree. I don't much like Gerrard,  but I have a feeling our squad as a whole is vastly overrated by us in general. As Villans, I do think they have it all to prove still. 

I am however humble enough to realise this is just a theory, and I might be wrong. And I can promise you I won't expect instant results from a new guy in order to dismiss my fears. 

I just think it is something we should keep an eye on, that's all. 

I just think we are slightly better than we are showing.  Gerrard didn’t get anything out of these players.  Start getting a bit out of these players and we’ll be mid table, that’s all I think.  

I just think those that were fans of Gerrard close to the end are feeling a little flat now and in some ways think Gerrard wasn’t a significant factor of where we are today.  If they concede he was then it shows we may be a bit better than showing which means a few points higher at least which gets closer to midtable.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, stewiek2 said:

Hmm what interesting timing 🤔

Would be one hell of a coup

I think he would be interested. I also think he can attract some more high profile/upgrade cbs to  mings and konsa (although latters been better this year) mings is mings

The only thing I’m sure about is that nobody knows anything. There are no stories by reliable journalists, just clickbait largely rehashed clickbait from other clickbait. This is the way we operate under NSWE and there has only been two exceptions. The first one was the appointment of Slippy G because Purslow was wetting himself with excitement. The second was the none signing of Sarr which was very strange but funnily enough was apparently pulled by Slippy. 

Like a lot of us I constantly check Newsnow and Oddschecker when we’re in a situation such as this. As I say there are no new stories and probably as a result of this the odds have barely changed for a couple of days. NSWE have properly got everything locked down. Frustrating though this is, it offers hope of work ongoing with possibly good news to come. It also begs the question is Purslow out of the loop or just under serious threat if he can’t keep his mouth shut? Either way he could be signing on with a pen his hand next to  his pal in the morning. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

On another note, if it's true that AVB is " keen " I'm not sure why so many are against the idea, and would even prefer Dyche over him.

Won't pretend to have followed his career closely after leaving England, but he seems to have done ok?

His main issue would appear to be being a bit fiery.

Also, knows Sanson and Kamara well.

If all top targets aren't immediately attainable, surely we could do worse?

I’d prefer AvB to Dyche

• Like 1

Just now, nick76 said:

I just think we are slightly better than we are showing.  Gerrard didn’t get anything out of these players.  Start getting a bit out of these players and we’ll be mid table, that’s all I think.  

I just think those that were fans of Gerrard close to the end are feeling a little flat now and in some ways think Gerrard wasn’t a significant factor of where we are today.  If they concede he was then it shows we may be a bit better than showing which means a few points higher at least which gets closer to midtable.

Agree 100% with the first part. I don't think we are as bad as we have shown the last year. 

But are there really Gerrard fans? I mostly saw different nuances to critique against him tbf?

19 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

To be fair 

I'm looking at both sides of the spectrum and their are some good points.

I don't think it necessarily has anything to do with " liking " Gerrard.

There are some posters who have genuinely thought alot of the players ( Minus Jack , ), as well as a " culture " at the club have been worringly " not good enough " since Dean Smith was here.

I trust the board to get the appointment right in theory, but truth is we don't know what happens behind the scenes.

What are our finances like? Who is available? Plus many other technicalities us as fans probably have no idea about 

It's fine being ambitious but our choices have to want to come, similarly to how it is with players. You can have all the money in the world, and sell a " project" to a top player and they might still not want to come.

The swifter the appointment, the less anxiety I'll feel.

I think a good performance today would also probably go a good way in settling some people down.

Although, I'd probably rather wait, than sign the wrong Manager, again, today will probably have alot of say in all that.

I agree with almost all that.

It surprised me they got rid of all the backroom staff so quickly which to me may suggest the new manager is close so I’m guessing he’ll be announced next week. Complete guess but it’s strange we’ve had no real rumours apart from media guessing.  Villa secrecy in full force.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, daft said:

Agree 100% with the first part. I don't think we are as bad as we have shown the last year. 

But are there really Gerrard fans? I mostly saw different nuances to critique against him tbf?

When I say Gerrard fans, I just mean still believe in Gerrard than thinking it’s over…

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, leighavfc said:

PL experience is not needed in my opinion, we just absolutely need a manager who can coach a team and knows a bit about tactics to set us up to our strengths and build from there. Gerrard absolutely had none of these qualities in my opinion.

Setup and tactics are everything in the game this day and age!

I sincerely hope you are right.....I see many things wrong, that do not directly relate, to set up and tactics....indirectly maybe, we will see.

I believe, if a squad is imbalanced, its hard to get those things you mention working correctly.....and I think our squad is imbalanced and possibly playing players who are not good enough, too.

Set up and tactics  are important, not saying they are not.....but they won't mask over other fundamental issues, when they are wrong.

18 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

After watching the last game I think it's pretty clear that what we are really lacking is coaching and a system. It was plain as day. At the time I took it as a lack of confidence, but after all that has come out since, such as Emi's comments on training, I think they were just confused as to what to do when in possession. 

Bad news- that is not fixed overnight.

Good news- all you need is a good coach with a clear vision, and the players output will increase hugely. 

What were the comments out of interest?