Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

Emery - the step just below the elite, massively experienced in good leagues, has managed in the Prem to a good standard, has achieved success with teams below the elite standard. Plays a style that we can probably emulate reasonably well with the squad as is, though with additions in January needed. He would need persuading though - he turned down Newcastle because he wasn't sold on their project - but he had the conversation.

Poch - out of work, successfully managed in the Prem, is coming off a slightly disappointing short tenure at PSG, seems to have been overlooked for a few big jobs in recent times. As with Emery, probably could work with what we have with a couple of additions. But he is on the CL hype train - he took Spurs to the final and went to France's biggest club to try to win it for them. He's going to be a hard conversation to persuade to come here, as he may be prepared to sit and wait to get a CL club. We'd be relying on him bring won over by big money and wanting back into management in England now. Unlikely.

Tuchel - ain't happening. He's only just been sacked, he's a CL winner, he'll sit and wait for a CL role. He's also renowned for falling out with people, which we probably don't want right now. Dead in the water, won't even be on the list.

Amorim - gamblers choice. He's had a meteoric rise and success, but he's young and only worked in Portugal, realistically with 1 job. By all accounts he's got enormous potential, and apparently does very simple tactics in a very disciplined way that mostly fit our squad. But he apparently has a huge release clause. Could be amazing, could be a disaster, we'd be putting a lot of faith in him taking his first job overseas in a potential relegation battle.

Rodgers - been there and done that in the Prem, to varying degrees. But struggling at the moment and struggled last year as well. He's a couple of games from the sack at Leicester and looks burnt out. Needs a few months out IMO. On a personal level I can't stand him either, so colours my view.

Dyche - he's a solid Premier League manager. But a very particular type. He stayed at Burnley for 10 years, and I'm not sure that's all loyalty. Nobody looked at him and felt they'd take a shot on him. A club with our stature and alleged ambitions should not be gambling on Dyche. It also indicates the wrong things about where we're going. If we hire Dyche, something has gone wrong.

Benitez - no.

Frank - decent manager. Brentford play effective football and punch above their weight. But the issue with Brentford is they're a machine, the manager isn't running the whole thing and as such it's hard to judge him. If our aim is to emulate that system, might be decent. If we don't... Shrug.

Favre - my choice when we sacked Smith, an old hand with a record of developing players and tactically clever. But he's just gone to Nice. Ain't happening.

Gallardo - know nothing about him. He's apparently River Plate's most successful manager ever, which is nothing to sniff at, but like Amorim you're gambling on his first overseas job being a relegation knife fight. On the plus side he should do well with so many South Americans about the place. Oh and the Lamborghini jokes would drive you mad.

On the basis of all that, it's Emery for me. No easy job to win him round, but I'd have greater faith getting him on side than Poch. There's a project to be sold here, a good one. And we're supposedly ready to sweeten things with a big wage - we were paying the clown formerly known as Stevie G £5m to do nothing.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, mrchnry said:

IMG-20221022-WA0013.jpg

He also said Cooper was going to be sacked and replaced by Rafa as well as Klopp is likely to be sacked soon if results continue and replaced by Rafa.  All this in October.  I think his credibility is zero!

• Thanks 1

Just now, bielesibub said:

Surprised that there is no Southgate on the poll. 'If' he becomes available no doubt he'll be our next full-time manager.

</duckForCover>

I think he’s one manager that is more disliked than Gerrard from Villa fans over the last year or so

• Like 1

A little bit of context re manager’s playing styles - Brighton had more possession than Man City today and allegedly caused Man City lots of problems. Obviously it’s just one game but I love managers who aren’t scared of the opposition. 

1 hour ago, Podster said:

Too early for me to have a favourite, I like to go through an elinination process to narrow it down before I come to a 1st choice, the first deffinate NO is Ruben Amorim, he is greatly lacking in experience, and what little experience he does have is managing a club in Portugal, having lived there for 15 years I can tell you that winning the league there in his second year is on a par with Gerrard winning the Scottish league with Rangers. The Scottish league is only ever a battle between 2 clubs, the Portuguese league is only ever a battle between 3 clubs, he has no experience with week to week preasure games, most of the teams he will have come up against as a manager would struggle in the English championship. We need a PROVEN manager, he has no more experience than Gerrard and the Premier league would be like throwing someone in at the deep end who cant swim.

I believe this is nothing to base an opinion on. You can have good managers in weaker leagues, if you do due diligence on their football brain, tactical knowledge, personality, character, man management skills, you can unearth a gem. We obviously didn't look too deeply into all this with Gerrard. We hired him on his name and his arguably good rep in the Scottish league, which btw is MUCH weaker than the Primeira Liga.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bielesibub said:

Surprised that there is no Southgate on the poll. 'If' he becomes available no doubt he'll be our next full-time manager.

</duckForCover>

Avoiding dragging my opinion of Southgate in to it... Same as martinez, the WC break provides a unique opportunity for a new manager to have a training camp and mini pre season, I think what wolves are doing is insane even if a bigger name becomes available in december, you give the new guy that time to implement his ideas, Leicester the same if they stick with Rodgers until after the WC it doesn't make sense to me

So unfortunately Gareth just misses out

I would go for Poch, but its a big risk for him, he fails here, his stock will drop further and he may never get back into a champions league club. Do well and he will be treated like royalty and his stock will be huge.

Personally I think he thinks a alot of himself if he thinks he is going to a CL club here, Villa is a great project if he wants to prove himself, but I guess he wants it easy.

If I was the board  I would offer him to be one of the best paid managers in the Premier league, CL money. Basically pull out all the stops, an as good as give him what he wants, even a house by me in Little Aston. 🤣

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I would go for Poch, but its a big risk for him, he fails here, his stock will drop further and he may never get back into a champions league club. Do well and he will be treated like royalty and his stock will be huge.

Personally I think he thinks a alot of himself if he thinks he is going to a CL club here, Villa is a great project if he wants to prove himself, but I guess he wants it easy.

If I was the board  I would offer him to be one of the best paid managers in the Premier league, CL money. Basically pull out all the stops, an as good as give him what he wants, even a house by me in Little Aston. 🤣

You live in little Aston, you swanky old.....

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Poch ain't coming.

He isn't swapping coaching mbappe to be coaching Ollie Watkins. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Genuine question to those who want Rodgers. What makes you think we'll get the Rodgers who was historically successful, and not the Rodgers who is imploding at Leicester? 

I live in Leicester and have loads of City supporting mates. Most of them are still behind Rodgers and think that he will turn things around. There are two key factors at play apparently. Firstly, the funding has been pulled and Brendon has been told to cut his cloth accordingly. This seems to have demotivated him a little and is certainly not what he signed up to originally. He wants to be able to compete in the top half of the table but understands that this will now become harder and harder due to the financial constraints.

Secondly and this is total gossip from one of the Dad’s from my son’s school. Apparently the rest of the players are unhappy that Vardy was given a new contract. They don’t trust him following Wagatha Christie and it’s caused a split in the dressing room. This is apparently the reason that Schmeical left in the summer.

Rodgers is a smart manager who knows how to get his teams playing to their maximum. He took over a faltering Leicester team and got them performing almost straight away. I wanted him as our manager when Dean took over and when he was sacked. I really think he is a great fit for us. I think that he wants it too (more speculation).

1 minute ago, WHY said:

Talksport just asked Beale about the job, he said no chance. He basically said the recruitment has been poor and the club needs a strategy. 

Bullet dodged as far as I am concerned. I really dont need the Gerrard whisperer back here. I wish QPR well tho. They deserve a bloody break.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, WHY said:

Talksport just asked Beale about the job, he said no chance. He basically said the recruitment has been poor and the club needs a strategy. 

Got a bit if a feeling he fell out with the Villa hierarchy trying to defend Gerrard. He left pretty sharpish when the QPR job was offered.

• Like 1