Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

I think people underestimate how rubbish Emery was at Arsenal. He’s great in Spain, but I wouldn’t want to bet a fortune that he’d be a success for us given what we saw when he was over here.

He rejected Newcastle so I imagine he would reject us anyways.

10 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Benfica lost £120m worth of players - they’re currently top and 12 points ahead of Sporting after only 9 games.

I’m only really playing devil’s advocate - I don’t follow Portuguese football or know anything about Amorim. He might well be amazing. 

One of the Benfica sales was Nunez who cost about 75 million

3 minutes ago, abdomlahor said:

I think people underestimate how rubbish Emery was at Arsenal. He’s great in Spain, but I wouldn’t want to bet a fortune that he’d be a success for us given what we saw when he was over here.

Emery had a better record when he got sacked than Arteta did after the same number of games. 

Emery wasn't rubbish at Arsenal. He was handed a poisoned chalice after the greatest manager in their history, he was never going to succeed given how demanding Arsenal fans are. 

His football was a little slow but he didn't do terribly. Probably not exactly what we need, tbh, but I wouldn't be distraught. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, nick76 said:

No doubting all that and the stuff I’ve read and watched yesterday about him look impressive. It’s such a small window/body of work though that it’s a massive risk, especially for us.  He may be the next great thing but I’m not convinced we are the ones that should be risking it given everything we have to lose.

We’re never the ones that risk it though. It’s always someone else who takes a chance on an upcoming manager or an unknown player. It’s why we’ve not finished in the top half of the Premier League in 10 seasons.

• Confused 1

Why anyone would want Dyche is beyond me. If he plays the same way he did at Burnley (and to my knowledge he hasnt shown he can play any other way) then there’s gonna be a ceiling for where we’ll finish. How many top tier sides play low block counter attack? I can think of Atletico and that’s it. 

I admire what he did for them, but he isn’t for us and where these owners want to go.

Edited by abdomlahor
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, abdomlahor said:

What @Zatman said. He wasnt bad at all

1 hour ago, SuffolkVillan said:

Apparently Sporting want Ronaldo but Amorim doesn't so it might be possible to do a deal that suits everyone

Negotiations will be tense

spacer.png

But I imagine this will be Sporting’s response to us

spacer.png

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, messi11 said:

🤣I agree there is a risk. Every appointment is a risk. Appointing a older, less motivated, less hungry, richer, caviar eating Pottchino on record wages would be a massive risk too
We've been so scared to take these risks for many years. To be great you have to take risks. 
We didn't take the risk on Potter last time out and its cost us big time. He's now at Chelsea.
We didn't take the risk to sign Julián Álvarez a few windows back. He's now at Man City.

Fans on Rival forums are saying Ruben Amorim can do much better than Aston Villa. Maybe they are right. We dont deserve good things 
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/the-rise-of-ruben-amorim.467364/page-6

This is a genuine quote from someone from Manchester 

They’re in trouble, they aren’t in a glamorous part of the country and I highly doubt they can entice anyone that isn’t from the championship at this point.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, bobzy said:

One of the Sporting sales was Nunes (variation!) who was £45m.

Not really sure what point we’re making here :D 

Well Sporting got the heart of the midfield ripped out in Nunes and Palhinha for probably the cost of Nunez. Benfica already had a ready made replacement but signing 2 new Defensive midfielders to adapt is much more difficult after 10 games

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

All the links are just media guesswork and reacting to the betting markets. We could all chuck a £1 on Simeone to get the job and I’m sure the Birmingham Mail would run with it. Just ignore the noise. 

ITK? 

8 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Emery wasn't rubbish at Arsenal. He was handed a poisoned chalice after the greatest manager in their history, he was never going to succeed given how demanding Arsenal fans are. 

His football was a little slow but he didn't do terribly. Probably not exactly what we need, tbh, but I wouldn't be distraught. 

To be fair I did forget that he directly followed the Wenger era. Might have had something to do with it.

31 minutes ago, daft said:

Competent people have the ability and humility to surround themselves with people that equally, if not more competent than themselves. That is a good sign, and it speaks to him being humble and giving his team credit.

Indeed.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, duke313 said:

We’re never the ones that risk it though. It’s always someone else who takes a chance on an upcoming manager or an unknown player. It’s why we’ve not finished in the top half of the Premier League in 10 seasons.

Gerrard, Garde, Di Matteo, Sherwood and even Smith.  That’s just the last 7 years.

Even if you disagree with some of them they were all up and coming managers at various stages