Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

12 minutes ago, Adman said:

1) if we roll the dice, spend big again and get relegated, surely we are in a whole heap of xxxx.  Players we can't give away on huge salaries, ffp blown out of the water, points deductions etc etc

Every manager we appoint is a roll of the dice

• Like 1

It seems like we wanted to keep Gerrard on no matter what until Sawris went mental at Fulham, and we had no clear replacements lined up. Unlike Smith departure when Gerrard was practically on his was as soon as Deano was sacked. We also barely have any coaches at present so the next few weeks could be interesting.

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

1st season - won the league, lost 1 game
2nd season - came 2nd, lost 3 games
3rd season (current) - currently 5th, lost 3 of their first 9

Yeah, seems like they’re just getting better and better!

Sold 115 million worth of players. Keep being negative

2 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Haven’t they lost about £110m worth of players though this season? I’m not saying we should get him especially after that post above about his reliance on his assistant (where have we heard that before!) but it’s not as simple as you put it. 

Benfica lost £120m worth of players - they’re currently top and 12 points ahead of Sporting after only 9 games.

I’m only really playing devil’s advocate - I don’t follow Portuguese football or know anything about Amorim. He might well be amazing. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, messi11 said:

🤣I agree there is a risk. Every appointment is a risk. Appointing a older, less motivated, less hungry, richer, caviar eating Pottchino on record wages would be a massive risk too
We've been so scared to take these risks for many years. To be great you have to take risks. 
We didn't take the risk on Potter last time out and its cost us big time. He's now at Chelsea.
We didn't take the risk to sign Julián Álvarez a few windows back. He's now at Man City.

Fans on Rival forums are saying Ruben Amorim can do much better than Aston Villa. Maybe they are right. We dont deserve good things 
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/the-rise-of-ruben-amorim.467364/page-6

We don’t take risks?  Gerrard, Remi Garde, Tim Sherwood, Di Matteo.  Even players we’ve taken a risk on Coutinho, we took a risk with Mings who was 4th choice at Bournemouth and paid a big fee….we take so many risks.

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Benfica lost £120m worth of players - they’re currently top and 12 points ahead of Sporting after only 9 games.

I’m only really playing devil’s advocate - I don’t follow Portuguese football or know anything about Amorim. He might well be amazing. 

But wasn’t part of Benficas £120m Nunez? Who was £85m. . I’m not sure he’d be a good fit anyway whilst I was coming round to the idea earlier in the thread the post about his assistant has spooked me. 

Emery or Gallardo for me. Unless Poch does a u turn.

6 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

It seems like we wanted to keep Gerrard on no matter what until Sawris went mental at Fulham, and we had no clear replacements lined up. Unlike Smith departure when Gerrard was practically on his was as soon as Deano was sacked. We also barely have any coaches at present so the next few weeks could be interesting.

It's been reported by multiple sources that their have been reservations about Gerrard for months.

One source even claims we were looking at Potter before Chelsea swooped.

I think it's more a case of not being able to attract our first-choice targets.

Think we were biding our time until we had something concrete, but as you say, the manner of the defeat sent Sawiris ballistic and all civil mind went out the window.

2 hours ago, KentVillan said:

The squad is fine… it needs one or two additions, better team selections, a clear game plan. It might not be a top 6 squad but it certainly is not a bottom 6 squad. Look at what other managers are doing around us with much weaker squads.

Agree with your whole comment but…

This is IT.

Regardless of how we rate our players they should be doing a HELL of a lot better and will if we get a more than competent manager in.

We have been embarrassed and surpassed… it’s time to rectify that and shut a few people up… 

To steal a SG line… I hope the players feel the same

🤣

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Re Amorim the assistant seems to be very important to him so if he leaves see you all in this thread next season maybe??

He only been his assistant at Sporting.
Wasn't his assistant at Casa Pia, Braga 

33 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Amorim is certainly an exciting prospect… and a few people have highlighted his attributes and record…

But it also carries a heavy element of risk…

My concern is… if we really are going to be paying a hefty sum for him (a record fee for a manager?! Hope we can negotiate that down somehow if that’s the way we are going) and put him on a long and lucrative contract, then what if it doesn’t work out? Again? How much more money will we be wasting? It brings about a certain element of fear or trepidation tbh… another failure and I feel like the owners will lose some motivation… especially if it comes at further and significant financial loss…

The guy is so young and relatively inexperienced too… can he adapt, adjust and deal with the added/different pressures and obligations of managing in this country and league??

Look what just happened with the last guy… not that it means that this would go the same way but… 

On the other side, if it works out then it could be amazing… Amorim is highly rated and has been mentioned as a target for some of the “top clubs”… he could be the next “star manager”… and is seen as “the next big thing”… wouldn’t it be incredible for us to steal a march on others and become on of the most progressive and entertaining sides around? Yes… yes it would be 🤣

I hope people a lot more knowledgable than us and more capable of seeing true potential and ability are making that consideration/decisions…

But… look who we last appointed…

STAY AWAY PURSLOW!

The last guy was appointed by his mate. And we had been told in advance that his assistant was the brains behind his success.

Amorim is not the same as Gerrard.

Honestly if we can get ruben in summer as he wants to see season out i wouldnt be opposed to a care taker role until end of season.

The aim will be just to stay up so id take dyche until end of season with ruben in summer. Win win for dyche as if he keeps us up his stock remains high

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

But wasn’t part of Benficas £120m Nunez? Who was £85m. . I’m not sure he’d be a good fit anyway whilst I was coming round to the idea earlier in the thread the post about his assistant has spooked me. 

Emery or Gallardo for me. Unless Poch does a u turn.

Mic GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

10 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Apart from the £25m everything you said is what they were telling me about Gerrard last year and I was concerned.  I’m scared he’s Gerrard but with a sexy foreign name especially the 2nd in command being his brains comments.  

Every manager is a risk but some obviously are far more a gamble than others.

Thats fair enough. The part that impressed me about him is his balls to reject signing Ronaldo for Sporting. They are former teammates as well