Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

personally my number one choice is thomas frank. 

fits the bill perfectly as someone we can build an identity with and grow with the club, rather than hiring a big name who'll be off to a CL or top international job first chance they get. got goals out of watkins at brentford and plays a system that would work well with the players we have. experience in working with data and analytical based recruitment too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sulberto21 said:

People talking about Dyche’s style of football was constrained by budget at Burnley - then how were Brighton able to play attractive football? What about Rodgers’ Swansea in the Premier League?

Klopp has kept the same style of football from his days at Mainz till now. Eddie Howe had the same style of football at Bournemouth who had a comparable budget too. Roberto Martinez had the same style of football at Wigan as he does now with Belgium all it is the team obviously has better players. 

Reality is Dyche is a hoofball manager and whilst it’s effective for him it’s not going to get you too far up the league often.

Great post. 

28 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Let’s play a game. If it is Ruben Amorim, which 3 players should he bring with him..

Should have been this summer so we could have get Palhinha. Think he has looked good in that Fulham side.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, abdomlahor said:

fits the bill perfectly as someone we can build an identity with and grow with the club, rather than hiring a big name who'll be off to a CL or top international job first chance they get. got goals out of watkins at brentford and plays a system that would work well with the players we have. experience in working with data and analytical based recruitment too.

I think I'm there as well. It won't be though. 

1 minute ago, abdomlahor said:

Frank is another Smith, not a top manager still learning does well as he is not under any real pressure at Brentford. 

There's a reason Dyche ain't in a job yet, Wolves woukd go for him if he was any good.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sulberto21 said:

People talking about Dyche’s style of football was constrained by budget at Burnley - then how were Brighton able to play attractive football? What about Rodgers’ Swansea in the Premier League?

Klopp has kept the same style of football from his days at Mainz till now. Eddie Howe had the same style of football at Bournemouth who had a comparable budget too. Roberto Martinez had the same style of football at Wigan as he does now with Belgium all it is the team obviously has better players. 

Reality is Dyche is a hoofball manager and whilst it’s effective for him it’s not going to get you too far up the league often.

Yep.... The idea he has been restricted in playing style by budgets over his time at Burnley is laughable. Seriously laughable. 

Probably one of the dirtiest teams in the PL and glad when they went down. Which would've also happened had he been there until the end of the season. 

3 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

So right there you are comparing the Portuguese league to Scotland, omitting any reference to performance in the Champions League (last 16), and also implying in your previous post that using statistics and recorded history to supplement our own knowledge is in some way not desirable?

Or would you only advocate managers you have personally witnessed the careers of? 

You’ve bamboozled me with how articulate that was, impressive .

Not comparing Portuguese league to Scotland like for like no - just providing context that both leagues are ones in which 2 and 3 in the case of Portugal can win it each year . That’s an irrefutable fact. 

Im aware of his run in Europe. Gerrard did something similar with Rangers i believe taking them to the last 8 of the europa ( correct me if im wrong )

20 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Let’s play a game. If it is Ruben Amorim, which 3 players should he bring with him..

1) Pedro Goncalves 
2) Goncalo Inacio
3) Pedro Porro

Could also fit Marcus Edwards in the suitcase 

All young and hungry players. Time to get rid of Coutinho, Ings etc

Edited by messi11

Just now, Django_Zooms said:

Poch and Franck say no and Dyche would be bad, so appoint Rafa Benitez until the end of the season, then pick from a wider choice.

Hopefully this gets picked up on and you get exiled for a while until you come back reprogrammed. 

• Haha 2

Thomas Frank was commenting on Villa's spending in January:

"Frank, who has been at the helm since replacing former Villa boss Dean Smith in 2018, told Sky Sports: "In a way, it shouldn’t be possible that we are above Villa, the amount of money they have spent on their team the last three years."

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-transfer-brentford-frank-22629230

1 minute ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Thomas Frank was commenting on Villa's spending in January:

"Frank, who has been at the helm since replacing former Villa boss Dean Smith in 2018, told Sky Sports: "In a way, it shouldn’t be possible that we are above Villa, the amount of money they have spent on their team the last three years."

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-transfer-brentford-frank-22629230

10/10 for stating the frigging obvious. Frank out!

10 minutes ago, nick76 said:

As you and I discussed at the time, as he was appointed I decided to give blind support, then joined ‘the train’ as you called it about the fifth game in as we were flying and the sixth game was the same.  I started to worry a bit after that as we dropped off the cliff with intensity but we got that great come back against Man U but following Jan mini preseason we were different but and we looked a different team then when my concerns came back.  We somehow had three stunning victories at the end of Feb/early March which really surprised me as I was convinced he didn’t have it so I was confused.  Delighted but confused! After that though I had no doubt, we were just poor…so mid March it started to feel it wasn’t going to work out definitely was about the time, the performances, cohesion and tactics didn’t have it.

I don’t think I was fully onboard with him ever because my initial concerns were too strong but I backed him at games when I was at the ground.  He’s one of the few managers we’ve had that I’ve felt were wrong including the likes of McLeish.  Sometimes you just know they aren’t going to work out quickly.

I really hope it’s not the same with the next manager as I’ll have to walk away from the Villa if that’s the case and be a tv Villa fan only because being older now I have other things in my life that I have to concentrate on that, Villa can’t be a stress/negative as well.  I love Villa and it’s always been one of my releases even in Villa down times so now I can’t have it be a negative as it’s been…it’s not winning or losing but negativity.  I want a manager that plays good football that I feel we’ve played as a team, we’ve given it a go.  I don’t expect Europe these days especially with the money the big teams have.  We have rich owners but it’ll take a lot to catch the Sky6 and eventually Newcastle.  I just want to enjoy my Villa and thus the right manager now is key.  Doesn’t have to be a big name but I don’t want a crap one, I don’t want another risk project and I don’t want a manager that plays dour football.  Just somebody that I can get behind even in bad times and hopefully more often good times.

I was jolted with doubt after the January Transfer window, I was not convinced with Lucas Digne, and still not, but not blaming him entirely, just another brick in the wall for me.....The 3 losses to Chelsea, Brentford and Man U.....scoring 2 goals, left me with melancholy, but I still believed he would make mistakes and correct them....The irony is the last 6 games of last season only rendered that loss to Man City, which in one way was hardly surprising, but having said that, the manner in how we conceded 3 goals in 14 minutes, defines us, IMO.

We have been too easy to beat, for too long.....sure we have the odd game of defiance, but back to default, before you can say "Jack Robinson"....We are simply too easy to play.

I have followed Villa through 26 managers now, I can count on one hand, how many, were any good, how many found consistency.

I accept at times, we have to play a style that is cautious, I also accept that we need to be entertained too....I understand the team has to know when to play what, and managers, need to be on top of that.

My gripe, is not playing convincing football.....we are anything but convincing in our execution of our play, its putrid, rancid and insipid football....I watched that Fulham game and was all villered out.....I could see SG could not defend himself, with that chronic offering  of a lilly livered display......He couldn't even argue with the fans, he knew it was unacceptable and the fans had no alternative....I sometimes feel sorry for the travelling supporters, who have to be the guillotine, in times like this, when the club, should be ahead of them, not behind, them in responding.

I feel some sort of connection with Nassif, steaming in after, the second goal.....We all want to be diplomatic, but sometimes your gut reaction,  tells it like it is.....I was embarrassed, with some of them performances, irrespective of who was/is to blame.

Like you, I hope the new guy gets it right.....blimey, we deserve a bit of something.

Ps I thought in that game, when thing go wrong, everything goes wrong....but maybe it had to come to a head.

• Like 2