Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

10 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Pochettino's experience with us when he's managed in England is a team who finished consistently in the bottom half until we eventually got relegated, had a few years in the Championship before getting promoted again and narrowly surviving.

Like it or not, we haven't been relevant since the mid 90s.

He'd also only have to do a quick google of us to realise we have a new set of incredibly wealthy and driven owners now as well that would presumably back him to a huge amount if he came. Our history has no relevance on attracting a manager like Poch, he'll only be looking at the offer on the table and the assurances he would have on where the club want to be and how they'd back him to achieve it.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Only demand he will put on the owners is his salary. 

Only reason he'd take a relegation battling team. 

Doubt it very much, it will be about funds to spend, control of the club from management to who has final say on things including transfers, budget for his coaching team to name just a few.

obviously salary will be a big thing but these guys at this level know they can get the type of salary from many places, they’ll have other list of demands, some I’ve list but there will be many more.

18 minutes ago, duke313 said:

The Telegraph article. It suggests Poch is the preferred choice of NSWE, but a deal is somewhat far from complete.  If what you say is true and we have a deal with someone in place ready to be announced, it's unlikely it will be Poch.

To be fair, these things will have started months/weeks ago.

Similarly to transfers, sometimes just.one compromise or addition etc can jump hurdles towards a deal

12 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

If Poch needs persuading I'd stay clear. 

Massive club. Job should sell itself and I would question how much dedication he would put into the job if he isn't initially keen. 

Hire someone who wants the job. 

But we aren’t a massive club these days. We have the potential but have done little to get near realising it. It’s a pity more people can’t see it.

• Like 2

Just now, RichiBoi11 said:

He'd also only have to do a quick google of us to realise we have a new set of incredibly wealthy and driven owners now as well that would presumably back him to a huge amount if he came. Our history has no relevance on attracting a manager like Poch, he'll only be looking at the offer on the table and the assurances he would have on where the club want to be and how they'd back him to achieve it.

NSWE emptied their tap though. 

Barely spent any net in the summer. 

29 minutes ago, jim said:

The new appointment will be swift, none of this interviewing malarkey.

The announcement will come within a couple of days after the sacking is announced, wheels are in motion. 🕵️‍♂️

That sounds like you're very sure, do you know who was leaking to the Telegraph?

7 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

In principle I agree, the risk of Poch jumping ship as soon as he sees something more shiny could be a concern. However we don’t really know the fella and perhaps he’s a man who always tries to see a job through, so it’s a big decision for both parties. I’m sure NSWE will have taken all factors into consideration as they’ll be as keen as us not to be mugged over. If there’s any risk other than the elements of risk that all appointments have, then I’m sure it would be considered. No vanity projects from fan boys this time. 

I think the risk of him jumping ship shouldn't count at all. If he were to join and then jump ship it'd be presumably not only because he's got 'a better offer' but also that he's done well with us whilst here. It'd mean even if he were leaving he'd be leaving with us in a better place and as a more attractive prospect to any other high calibre managers. If there's any possibility of getting him, we'd be cutting our nose off to spite outr face if we didn't try to bring him in.

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

To be fair, these things will have started months/weeks ago.

Similarly to transfers, sometimes just.one compromise or addition etc can jump hurdles towards a deal

That lyric twitter account who broke this news a couple months ago, seem to think the news are behind on this and Poch as already said no.  Not sure how reliable he is, he called the Sarr deal going off.

6 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

NSWE emptied their tap though. 

Barely spent any net in the summer. 

Maybe they have, maybe they haven't. That's pure guess work. Just because we didn't spend £100 million doesn't mean we can't. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

That lyric twitter account who broke this news a couple months ago, seem to think the news are behind on this and Poch as already said no.  Not sure how reliable he is, he called the Sarr deal going off.

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RichiBoi11 said:

Maybe they have, maybe they haven't. That's pure guess work. Just because we didn't spend £100 million doesn't mean we can't. 

Didn't Purslow say in a q and a that we're gonna be self sufficient now? 

That should be a clear indicator. 

And considering our low commercial revenue we don't generate much compared to the bigger clubs and can't spend a lot. 

Edited by Pinebro

6 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Yeah I know I've been following him intently.

I just hope he is off on certain things this time 😂.

As we know, sometimes things can change in an instant.

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

Yep. Recent record is arguably more important than the name, though. Potter fit that bill, I think Urs Fischer is in the same sort of boat. 

Potter did wonders at Brighton taking them to where we thought we’d be. In all honesty Gerrard had done it at Rangers in which I thought he did a good job. Ok it’s the Scottish league but it’s a very big job . I was optimistic with the appointment and was pleased with most of his reign last season . Maybe I’m being absent minded , but the next appointment  feels more important than any other for a long time, if Gerrard goes obviously .

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

And considering our low commercial revenue we don't generate much compared to the bigger clubs and can't spend a lot. 

Purlsow also recently said he hadn't even thought of replacing Gerrard. 

He isn't exactly going to come out and say - "yep, we're gonna spend £150m this summer"

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Potter did wonders at Brighton taking them to where we thought we’d be. In all honesty Gerrard had done it at Rangers in which I thought he did a good job. Ok it’s the Scottish league but it’s a very big job . I was optimistic with the appointment and was pleased with most of his reign last season . Maybe I’m being absent minded , but the next appointment  feels more important than any other for a long time, if Gerrard goes obviously .

Gerrard didn't do any wonders at Rangers. Beale did. 

The Gerrard project officially ended the day Beale went to QPR. 

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

Purlsow also recently said he hadn't even thought of replacing Gerrard. 

He isn't exactly going to come out and say - "yep, we're gonna spend £150m this summer"

He never said that. Let’s not make up quotes now. 

The fact that we have some tangible if tenuous links to a big name like Poch is a welcome sign of ambition 

6 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

I believe he said the aim was to be self sufficient, but that doesn't mean that we can't ever splash the cash. I'd imagine NSWE wanted the self sufficient Villa to be a solid outfit constanly challenging for Europe so they could essentially leave it to govern itself. We're a million miles from that currently and are slipping backwards rapidly, so I wouldn't at all be surprised to see them back a new manager heavily, with the ultimate aim still being to get the club to a solid base and then leave it to run itself financially. They proabbly can't afford to not back us when relegation is a very real possibility, as the cost of that would be a lot more than them financing another managers signings. 

Ultimately we won't know until Gerrard is gone and a new manager comes in, but I don't think any of the managers we've been linked with in that Telegraph article would come with where we are if they weren't promised significant backing. If there's no real money for trasnfers then either that article is BS, or our management structure are completely deluded. That's not impossible, but also not likely.