Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

55 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

It’s up there with people clamouring for Deano. We need to move on. We’d be very lucky to have either Poch or Emery. We need a proven name to take us forward. 

Yeah no more experiments or sentimental signings for now.

If we want what we claim we do, it's time to step up.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Zero chance of Rafa getting a sniff - he’s a busted flush 

He’s also Steve Bruce in the guise of the fat Spanish waiter… would be awful football if we got Rafa. We’d probably be top half, but the football would suck.

17 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Yeah no more experiments or sentimental signings for now.

If we want what we claim we do, it's time to step up.

Our last sentimental signing is our player of the season😛

• Like 2

The new appointment will be swift, none of this interviewing malarkey.

The announcement will come within a couple of days after the sacking is announced, wheels are in motion. 🕵️‍♂️

3 minutes ago, jim said:

The new appointment will be swift, none of this interviewing malarkey.

The announcement will come within a couple of days after the sacking is announced, wheels are in motion🕵️‍♂️

It won't be Pochettino then.

1 minute ago, jim said:

What makes you think that?

The Telegraph article. It suggests Poch is the preferred choice of NSWE, but a deal is somewhat far from complete.  If what you say is true and we have a deal with someone in place ready to be announced, it's unlikely it will be Poch.

• Like 1

This appointment can't be a punt, a development job, a step up. If the ownership has the ambition it claims, you need to go get someone who has proven their worth in a top league. Of course that's not a guarantee of success, but it makes it more likely than giving the job to a young guy whose success is only in Scotland with a cheat code team when the only opposition imploded, or taking a gamble on a manager from a lower league or weaker league who's had a hot streak.

Get someone that's been there, done that, shown they can manage. If it doesn't work, fine, shit happens, but load the deck in your favour. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

The Telegraph article. It suggests Poch is the preferred choice of NSWE, but a deal is somewhat far from complete.  If what you say is true and we have a deal with someone in place ready to be announced, it's unlikely it will be Poch.

Be interesting to see how it plays out. 

If Poch needs persuading I'd stay clear. 

Massive club. Job should sell itself and I would question how much dedication he would put into the job if he isn't initially keen. 

Hire someone who wants the job. 

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Depends if they have already reached out before, what has been discussed, what are the stumbling blocks to getting a deal done.  We know from the Trees that Wes was in Europe this week, probably for personal or business stuff but maybe Villa, maybe not but he didn’t come to the game in the end.  We don’t know what Nassef has been doing either who apparently would be fronting the approach.  So many things are unknown, even the Telegraph article maybe based on week old information.  It could all be rubbish, we just don’t know.  So if it was Poch we could be further down the line to a deal that we know so it still maybe true.  As usual we just have to wait until Gerrard is let go and who they announce is replacing him.

2 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Massive club. Job should sell itself and I would question how much dedication he would put into the job if he isn't initially keen. 

Pochettino's experience with us when he's managed in England is a team who finished consistently in the bottom half until we eventually got relegated, had a few years in the Championship before getting promoted again and narrowly surviving.

Like it or not, we haven't been relevant since the mid 90s.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

I disagree, I want the new manager to be demanding on the owners and will want very high commitments if they come because to me it means we mean business. If all the higher level managers say no and we hire some journeyman manager we know where our ambitions are and accept we will only ever be fighting for 10th place.

Just now, nick76 said:

I disagree, I want the new manager to be demanding on the owners and will want very high commitments if they come because to me it means we mean business. If all the higher level managers say no and we hire some journeyman manager we know where our ambitions are and accept we will only ever be fighting for 10th place.

Only demand he will put on the owners is his salary. 

Only reason he'd take a relegation battling team. 

5 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

In principle I agree, the risk of Poch jumping ship as soon as he sees something more shiny could be a concern. However we don’t really know the fella and perhaps he’s a man who always tries to see a job through, so it’s a big decision for both parties. I’m sure NSWE will have taken all factors into consideration as they’ll be as keen as us not to be mugged over. If there’s any risk other than the elements of risk that all appointments have, then I’m sure it would be considered. No vanity projects from fan boys this time.