Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

5 minutes ago, the_sun_never_sets said:

Poch is known for bringing through academy players right? That is useful. Im not sure whether Emery has that reputation? 
What were Poch's signings at Saints and Spurs like?

Emery brought through a lot of the current Arsenal squad

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Emery brought through a lot of the current Arsenal squad

Also started Pino in the europa league final v Man. United, think he was only 18 at the time.

Edit: Youngest Spanish player to start major european final. Contrast that to Gerrard being too scared to start Archer.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

If and when Gerrard goes the next appointment is crucial . Get it wrong or it doesn’t work out then forget us being anything other than what we are now,  Just another club making the numbers up and fighting relegation. 

Absolutely - they have to get someone in that they know can hit the ground running and do a job, not someone who has to learn as they go and perhaps make it. 

We need to make an aspirational appointment; getting someone in who has been at the level that we want to go to. 

I can feel in my bones we will get Benitez and he will be predictably shit.

I’d take Pochettino, Emery, Tuchel, Rodgers, Frank, in that order. Rodgers would settle the ship for sure but I’d then want him replaced when he inevitably loses steam. 

2 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I can feel in my bones we will get Benitez and he will be predictably shit.

I’d take Pochettino, Emery, Tuchel, Rodgers, Frank, in that order. Rodgers would settle the ship for sure but I’d then want him replaced when he inevitably loses steam. 

Rafa is a big no from me.  Didn't he fall out with Digne?

No to Rodgers as well, let's stay away from Liverpool connected managers for a while.

Pochettino, Emery, Tuchel, Gallardo, Frank in that order.

Get in Poch or Tuchel and give them £150 Million💰 to bring in around 4 top players

Striker, Winger, Central Midfielder and a Centre Back 

We can rejiggle the rest as we have enough quality options and many of those guaranteed starters will be keeping the bench warm.

its now a case of buying superior quality rather than quantity as we have the numbers 

Edited by RicRic
  • Like 1

Poch just feels right, reminds me of when we got MON. Highly regarded manager out of work and linked to every available job suddenly rocking up at VP to replace an unpopular manager who was slowly circling us into relegation, and getting us into the top 6...lets just hope it ends better this time around! 

• Like 2

Just now, weedman said:

Poch just feels right, reminds me of when we got MON. Highly regarded manager out of work and linked to every available job suddenly rocking up at VP to replace an unpopular manager who was slowly circling us into relegation, and getting us into the top 6...lets just hope it ends better this time around! 

I do wonder if Poch could still be holding out for the United job.  He was close to getting in before and wouldn't surprise me if United got rid of Ten Hag in 2023 if they are adrift of top 4.

6 minutes ago, weedman said:

Yeah and we can play Young as a winger all over again.

27 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Absolutely - they have to get someone in that they know can hit the ground running and do a job, not someone who has to learn as they go and perhaps make it. 

We need to make an aspirational appointment; getting someone in who has been at the level that we want to go to. 

Got to be a big name but not someone who’s washed up. Missed the boat with Graham Potter who seems he’s one of the only few up and coming managers who can actually take on a big job as we are seeing at Chelsea . Not sure Potter was remotely interested in us tbf .

7 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I do wonder if Poch could still be holding out for the United job.  He was close to getting in before and wouldn't surprise me if United got rid of Ten Hag in 2023 if they are adrift of top 4.

He'd be silly to do that imo, given the average time a manager stays in post and the fact man Utd won't be shy with regards to compensation he could pretty easily join us, stabalise us in mid table and still leave for Utd next year (although let's hope not) 

2 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Got to be a big name but not someone who’s washed up. Missed the boat with Graham Potter who seems he’s one of the only few up and coming managers who can actually take on a big job as we are seeing at Chelsea . Not sure Potter was remotely interested in us tbf .

Yep. Recent record is arguably more important than the name, though. Potter fit that bill, I think Urs Fischer is in the same sort of boat. 

4 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Let's say we get Poch.  How does he line up with our squad?  He mainly uses a 4231 or 433 but has also used 3 at the back.  We have a serious lack of wingers in the team now thanks to Gerrard.

Hopefully unlike Gerrard he starts with looking at the players we have and fit the best system for them and then gradually over time adapt to what he wants to play like with good coaching and changes in the squad through transfer windows.