Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

Won't profess to be an expert on either but Poch quite often played a 3-4-2-1 with Spurs which I think would really suit our current squad, Emery's favoured 4-4-2 doesn't exactly fit with what we have and we could do without another squad overhaul.

One thing that does worry me is a lot of our current problems seem to stem from abandoning our plan, our idealogy, transfer policy etc and handing the keys to the kingdom to Steven Gerrard. @OutByEaster? recently made the point that our next head coach should be a part of an ongoing plan, top cog in a well-oiled cog machine, rather than having free reign over all things AVFC. 'Moving heaven and earth' for Poch doesn't sound like we're about to tell him to stick to our plan. But then it's Poch, so.. you'd be mad not to right?

1 hour ago, Sam3773 said:

I feel we’ll go back to the Grealish saga of panicking every window that someone’s going to steal our guy with Poch. We’ll then end up starting again. Again.

This is the major problem tbh

But I would still take him even if it was for 2 seasons.

We deserve some joy, even if it is short term.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

If it goes so well that he is poached, so be it. Means we will be in a far better position and we can recruit someone else of a similar ilk.

Yep, we're that starved of success now that we shouldn't care about poaching anymore, there's so much dross at the club that no one wants just give us that spark even if it means he's gone in 2 years, manager and players the same

Said before we're a managers graveyard and none of them ever leave us for success elsewhere but grealish aside it's not like players are leaving us for bigger and better things either anymore

Edited by villa4europe

5 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Mate, it sounds like you were you were smoking crack in a dumpster during Smith's years :D

Mon's football was boring as s**t even if it was effective. Deano got us promoted which is the best day for Villa fans since 1996. He also played exciting attacking football until ROK left and CS became number 2.

Check what I wrote. I qualified it with 'in the PL' just to be sure. 

And then I explicitly state I watched little of Smith's Villa in the PL so I can't really judge him on style there.

And yes, while MON had us looking somewhat boring, he did get us results no other manager have achieved since. 

1 hour ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

Whoever it is, keep Purslow out of the decision making.

We would end up with bloody Stig Inge Bjornebye or Sean Dundee knowing our luck. 

I've been repeatedly told everything is better than Gerrard, so we're good with those. 😅

2 hours ago, picicata said:

Poch has the experience of managing a team in our position and moving them to where we want to be. His football is generally easier on the eye than Emery's as well.

I'd happily take either though.

Emery has brought Sevilla and Villarreal to European glory. Also teams probably in our size range

• Like 1

Just now, Zatman said:

Emery has brought Sevilla and Villarreal to European glory. Also teams probably in our size range

I'll be honest and say I don't follow any European league or football at all so my knowledge of Emery is completely from Arsenal and reputation alone

2 minutes ago, picicata said:

I'll be honest and say I don't follow any European league or football at all so my knowledge of Emery is completely from Arsenal and reputation alone

His record at Arsenal was decent 55% win record an 5th place in his first season. Media made him out to be worse than he was. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think Emery is a better cup manager, he's able to grind out results in knockout over two legs.  He's never finished higher than 7th in the league with Villarreal and never higher than 5th with Sevilla.  

Emery had it hard at Arsenal. Taking over from Wenger, many overpaid players with big egos. Arteta was given time and backing to rip this up and start again.  I don’t think Emery was.

edit: having said that only 3 of his signings are currently in the first team.  Pepe was a disaster.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 2

The treatment Emery got from the media/social media when at Arsenal was an embarrassment. Definitely was an underwhelming tenure from him, but following Wenger at a club that was massively lacking in direction was always going to prove an insurmountable task in the short term (as Arteta went on to show) and it's not like he didn't have his moments anyway. His achievements speak for themselves and yet he was written off as a joke because he said the word "evening" a bit funny when speaking in another language.

We'd be lucky to get someone of his standing in the game.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Emery had it hard at Arsenal. Taking over from Wenger, many overpaid players with big egos. Arteta was given time and backing to rip this up and start again.  I don’t think Emery was.

edit: having said that only 3 of his signings are currently in the first team.  Pepe was a disaster.

He gave likes of Martinelli, Saka and Smith Rowe their debuts so also shows he'll trust youth when he deems them ready. Also at Villareal he put Pino into their europa league final team, was only 18 at the time.

Archer would've certainly had a few starts this season under his watch.

• Like 1